Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Rift had that and it didn't seem to make much of a difference.
    It was nice, but Rift had other problems. In some ways Rift took older WoW ideas and tried to move back toward them, with unfortunate results.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    600k subs does not "a lot" make. And that number takes into account people having multiple accounts (i.e. most of EvE users).
    Also, guess what content most people do in EvE? Mining and PVE missions. Enough said.
    Anyways, playing EVE online you cooperate with much more players than you do in WoW (lol 25 man raids). If you want to. Because on zero security zones it's quite fun to "pwn newbs" and ruin their game experience. And their mass-battle events are quite impressing to watch, but boring and expensive to be part of.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chidis View Post
    Beaber has a lot more followers than most really good singers, should we agree that this is future of music? EVE is older than WOW and still dont have to use cheap trics like dumping down content like wow to stay popular, its getting more complex, more stuff to do. Take out all 12 years old kids from wow, and how many subcribers will be left?
    Yeah, actually, they don't need to dumb anything down, it's already a MS excel sheets game. You just run it and go AFK while your ship gets experience or dies in zero zones

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I think the single largest reason for people wanting to even forcefully socialize in video games is because in real life they suffer from social anxiety.
    Good point. If you want to socialize with people, you can do it in real life.
    If you want to RP/PvP/Raid/Farm, you don't need to socialize, you just need to bring someone with you who can fulfill his role.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    And you've obviously had much different experiences than I have. I've seen good tanks and healers get reamed for not being better (not to mention if DPS isn't meeting a certain damage meter criteria) and if they're in any way bad they will get booted from the group before you're even a quarter of the way into a dungeon.
    Oh horrors of hardmode ulduar. "YOU ARE FUCKING HERO CLASS, AND CAN'T DO 4K DPS?! IF YOU WON'T MAKE 4K IN NEXT PULL I'LL SWAP YOU WITH ANY OTHER DK IN OUR GUILD" much socialize. Some people expect others to work their ass off in the game after they work their ass off on work in real life. No shit people stated leaving WoW.

I doubt that people left WoW because it was too hard or too easy. It was "ok", but there is better alternatives to spend your time. WoW never was that hard by the way, the hardest part in WoW from my experience, was getting enough people to play with, who lives in almost same timezone and who has same motivation to play the game (to actually read up about stuff, use brains to analyze what is happening, farm shit to increase chances to win, be not fucking late to raids)
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2014-02-06 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Some people expect others to work their ass off in the game after they work their ass off on work in real life. No shit people stated leaving WoW
    Taking 5 minutes to go online and read someone else's instructions on how YOU should play your character is NOT, and never has been, work.

And that's pretty much been the state of the game since Wrath. If you can spend several days IRL leveling to max level in order to raid progression content, you DO have the time to spend a couple minutes learning how to play your character.

Self-entitled laziness will get you disrespect IRL just online. Who the heck would walk into a restaurant with strangers and yell "Yo! I'm here! Someone buy me a !#@$ing sandwich already!", and yet... ingame people somehow feel that the OTHERS are being rude and unfriendly when they don't fawn all over this new guy and cater to their every need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Taking 5 minutes to go online and read someone else's instructions on how YOU should play your character is NOT, and never has been, work.

And that's pretty much been the state of the game since Wrath. If you can spend several days IRL leveling to max level in order to raid progression content, you DO have the time to spend a couple minutes learning how to play your character.

Self-entitled laziness will get you disrespect IRL just online. Who the heck would walk into a restaurant with strangers and yell "Yo! I'm here! Someone buy me a !#@$ing sandwich already!", and yet... ingame people somehow feel that the OTHERS are being rude and unfriendly when they don't fawn all over this new guy and cater to their every need.
    It doesn't work that way after BC. Knowing your character is mandatory, but you have to learn rotation to the bones and perform it without even thinking about it, so you can concentrate on an encounter. By "working their ass off" i meant having BS+JC, two twink characters with gathering professions, BoE epics, your own flasks+pots+food. All of these stuff is huge time sink (even getting enough gold to buy it is huge time sink)

You won't learn your character in "couple of minutes" before you actually will perform good on encounter, you need to know many things, like, your "basic" rotation, when you pop up your CDs in "vacuum", when you pop up your CDs with synergy with random encounter/raid buffs, when to interrupt rotation to perform actions needed by encounter. There is a lot things to learn, don't dimb it down to "spend couple minutes".
    Again, there is a lot room to improve, if it would be just "spend couple minutes" to learn your character, the game would be already finished and abandoned.

By the way, i played WoW quite long time, and i never used websites like alakazam to find where this quest item drops, and i haven't read about how to play my character, because learning your character is part of the game, i don't want this part of the game being taken out. And again, to figure out what best rotation for your character is, is not that hard, you, basically, can know your rotation in "couple minutes" but it will be hard to maintain it in boss fight, because, well, you know, encounter, and stuff to move out from, battle ressing, random fuck ups
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2014-02-06 at 02:49 AM.

It doesn't work that way after BC. Knowing your character is mandatory, but you have to learn rotation to the bones and perform it without even thinking about it, so you can concentrate on an encounter.
    Unless you're doing more serious raiding (in which cause I'd assume you're devoting more time to the game), this is far from the truth. For LFR and even most flex raiding, you don't need to have much of a mastery of your class.

It took me a whopping 5 minutes or so to learn to be an effective boomkin when I jumped back in shortly after 5.4. I'm not saying I could do well in heroics, but I could absolutely perform at acceptable levels in both LFR and flex despite my complete lack of proper boomkin gear.

Seriously, mastery of a class/spec isn't needed for 90% of the content in WoW. Hell, for dungeons and LFR you don't even need to be competent. You can bumble through knowing little more than what your damaging/healing abilities are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Unless you're doing more serious raiding (in which cause I'd assume you're devoting more time to the game), this is far from the truth. For LFR and even most flex raiding, you don't need to have much of a mastery of your class.

It took me a whopping 5 minutes or so to learn to be an effective boomkin when I jumped back in shortly after 5.4. I'm not saying I could do well in heroics, but I could absolutely perform at acceptable levels in both LFR and flex despite my complete lack of proper boomkin gear.

Seriously, mastery of a class/spec isn't needed for 90% of the content in WoW. Hell, for dungeons and LFR you don't even need to be competent. You can bumble through knowing little more than what your damaging/healing abilities are.
    Yep, but people still complain about others not doing "insert highest dps achievable by damage dealers" in LFR, saying, that to do so you only need to spend 5 minutes on manaflask

Yep, but people still complain about others not doing "insert highest dps achievable by damage dealers" in LFR, saying, that to do so you only need to spend 5 minutes on manaflask
    Does it matter though? I mean, it's rare when I did LFR that we'd kick a DPS, and that would only be if they were pulling like 10kdps. Hell, we left autoshot/afk BM hunters stick around in the raid.

Not having a deep knowledge of your class absolutely does not keep you out of LFR. Like, it's pretty hard to get kicked out of it if you're not actively trying to. For flex, yeah, you need to know a bit more, but it's not terribly complex or confusing, nor does it require very much time to research and practice enough to perform at a functional level for that difficulty of raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does it matter though? I mean, it's rare when I did LFR that we'd kick a DPS, and that would only be if they were pulling like 10kdps. Hell, we left autoshot/afk BM hunters stick around in the raid.

Not having a deep knowledge of your class absolutely does not keep you out of LFR. Like, it's pretty hard to get kicked out of it if you're not actively trying to. For flex, yeah, you need to know a bit more, but it's not terribly complex or confusing, nor does it require very much time to research and practice enough to perform at a functional level for that difficulty of raiding.
    Actually, i wanted to type "raid" instead of "LFR". I don't find LFR as hard as normal raiding, it's more like, um, time sink to probably get items
    Well, i'm quite happy with flex raid, it brings back feeling from BC and vanilla, where you could be the shining star in your raid. Currently, only assholes are getting kicked out of LFR. Even if they do 10% of all damage. The "functional" level for normal raids is quite low for modern raid leaders. Thus all these "*** ilvl or gtfo" and "lol u can't do 90k dps scrub" or "omg why priest didn't used flask, we died totally because of that". To perform good knowing rotation is enough, but when you face an encounter, you will find it being hard to maintain implying that you need to pay attention to what is happening in the particular encounter.
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2014-02-06 at 03:30 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am one of them, mostly. I pretty much went that course since the release of Cata, I did raid in a couple guilds during that time. The first guild did not have strong leadership and people that actually want to a cohesive unit, so it fell immediately apart once we finally killed Rag in Firelands. The second was a decent bunch of people and to guild already had a core group, so I only got to raid if someone did not show or I filled in on progression if some had to leave in the middle of a raid.

When MoP came out I wandered for a bit trying to find a raid guild. Most blew, they had little structure and people that just wanting to jerk around, so I picked up and did a pay transfer to another server. Once their I tried getting back into the whole raid thing, but still I really never found a decent guild that was even remotely organized or they fell apart days after joining them.

After more than 7 years plus I found myself pretty much playing a solo game by myself outside of going into dungeons/LFR. It's a little boring, but at least I do not have to listen to people constantly bitching and complain anymore about everything under the sun. I guess the trade off here is, having peace of mind more than anything. Though this boredom has created another issue, I have done everything so many times that the game has gotten to the point of being stale.

I am going to try again when WoD gets closer and try to find another decent guild, if I can't seem to found one, this time I won't waste the money to transfer, I'll just stop playing on a regular basis. This might happen anyway since I can't afford to play subscription based game at the same time. I am buying Elder Scrolls Online, think it is time to give another game a try, maybe then it will make me want to play WoW more and not less. I am not going to go completely away from WoW though, I will just buy monthly time card ever once in awhile. I love this game, it is really the only game I have played. I have tried others, but I always to stop playing them after a couple days because they just don't seem to measure up to there hype when the launch.
    Last edited by Apexis; 2014-02-06 at 04:02 AM.

Ive been always a solo player in MMOs, people can be jerks and when you talk to them and try to be friendly most ignore you :/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilo View Post
    Ive been always a solo player in MMOs, people can be jerks and when you talk to them and try to be friendly most ignore you :/
    Because they busy doing stupid quests, and generaly think that they can acheave everthing alone. And yes, why someone needs bother answering you, when you cannot interract with him?

10+ Year Old Account
    I quite like how they encourage people to randomly group in GW2: by grouping you receive XP faster since more mobs around you die, but the mobs themselves become stronger to match the strengthened group of players, something like what was done in Diablo 2. Although encouragement doesn't seem to be that effective. I would like to see a game in which random grouping really gives serious advantages, where questing with a few strangers is much faster and more effective than alone. Maybe even make a game balanced for at least 2 players, so that 1 player simply cannot survive in the wilds alone, unless he/she is REALLY good?

15+ Year Old Account
    When I log, I want to make things done, I don't like being slowed down by lore guys reading every quest or romantic souls who watch sunset from mountaintop. That's why I prefer to level alone and if I need to do something and I can do it alone, I will try to do that before asking for help. Maybe if I've found a soulmate who is playing with same pace as me but it haven't happened yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sellest View Post
    When I log, I want to make things done, I don't like being slowed down by lore guys reading every quest or romantic souls who watch sunset from mountaintop. That's why I prefer to level alone and if I need to do something and I can do it alone, I will try to do that before asking for help. Maybe if I've found a soulmate who is playing with same pace as me but it haven't happened yet.
    There is actually ppl who reads this crap?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chidis View Post
    There is actually ppl who reads this crap?
    Dude, you just gave me a heart attack... Does everyone really miss all the lore and just rush to the endgame in MMOs these days? What's wrong with you people? WoW made players so lazy that they cannot read any more?
    Regardless, that's why I prefer random grouping in MMOs to fixed grouping/guilding. If you group with people randomly, you can also stop and watch sunset if you want; people from your random group will just move away and you can join the next group you see, not annoying anyone. But in fixed groups you always have to go with the group, otherwise you will be called names and, probably, kicked. I've lost count of how many times people ragequit groups in SWTOR in Flashpoints when someone simply played the first time and wanted to watch all the cinematics. Like 3 more minutes - are people today so busy solving world problems that 3 minutes make them ragequit?

When I login I usually want to do things with other players. As long as they're not assholes. But every reset I do celestials and Ordos on 6 toons, I raid flex with guild on tues, wed- thurs is norm 10 raiding with guild. I do rated bgs with OQ, and arenas to help carry guildies sometimes. I like to do things with others. But over the past 6 years I've noticed so much more people doing solo stuff, even hardcore ex raiders I've known quit raiding and gone solo. Really I don't get it doing stuff by myself gets boring. But hell even now it's hard to get some of my guildies to do scenarios or 5 man dungeons, too many peopel just want to do solo shit. It seems the trend of soloing is getting worse as it gets harder and harder to find groups for things, And i'm ona high pop server.

I will say though timeless isle has helped in grouping up some of my friends who usually solo. The things I do solo are usually my farm, and I used ot quest solo. But timeless isle changed questing solo a bit, as more of the people I know wanted to get timeless gear on their main and alts. And I would rather do group questing than being alone in all honesty. But there are times where you feel like being alone and just vegging out.

- - - Updated - - -

Idk I've seen some horrible people wiping lfr's and flex and even in 5 man heroics. A majority of them I noticed are other classes trying to play hunters thinking they're super easy then complain about how their dps sucks and ask me for advise on hunter rotation lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sargiean View Post
    Most of my activity in WoW IS done solo, which is sad. BUT the MMO part comes (For me at least) with guild and other player interaction supplementing that solo content. Also, just because I play solo does not mean I prefer it. Getting on Skype with someone to play is much more fun (for me) than going solo.
    Even though I like doing things with other people, using vent or skype lately has really gotten on my nerves. Listening to people chat about the most stupid shit, or complain and bitch to the people in the group. Lately I've just been using vent for raiding, while blazing up my music. i'd rather be grouped with people blazing my music watching them type than listening to them lol.
    Last edited by Goretex; 2014-02-06 at 12:02 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Well if you want to spin it, most people play solo at some points (yes it's meeting an agenda and not honest, but correct)

I'm predominantly a solo player. I prefer to do everything I can solo in WoW, but I know I'm a minority.
    This ^

I prefer playing on my own, not because I'm antisocial but because it lets me do as i please without worrying about others. That said I do enjoy doing group content but I hate been forced todo it to whilst levelling up, that however is only really a problem in asian MMOs i've noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Goretex View Post
    Idk I've seen some horrible people wiping lfr's and flex and even in 5 man heroics. A majority of them I noticed are other classes trying to play hunters thinking they're super easy then complain about how their dps sucks and ask me for advise on hunter rotation lol.
    I kid you not, when I was doing LFR on my druid I had multiple instances of BM hunters literally autoshot AFK'ing their way through LFR. I'm serious.

Any MMO that wants to attracts a healthy amount of players HAS TO support the solo player. Unless you are certain Kickstarter MMOs which specifically just want to attract the small hardcore group-or-die crowd, all the major ones now support the solo playstyle with open arms like Wildstar and ESO.

I kid you not, when I was doing LFR on my druid I had multiple instances of BM hunters literally autoshot AFK'ing their way through LFR. I'm serious.
    That's moderately better than the people who die intentionally and afk until loot rolls.