NPC scan/ Unborn Val'kyr - bug???

I have been using NPC scan for several years. Pretty comfortable with it. I just added the Unborn to my list (# 71163) and a very peculiar thing continues ot happen.

As soon as I clear my cache form the desktop...I log into the game. I open my NPC search area and it shows the Unborn with "red x" by its name as if its been found.

I am in an area with no people. I have not traveled anywhere. Its impossible for the scan to have found the boss. Furthermore I am NOT getting the alert alarm people have alluded to. That fix is changing the filter settings.

This, however, makes no sense. I must be missing something really easy. Any help is appreciated.

I heard rumors that it might trigger from 3d preview in Pet tab.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    My first guess would be that you were near another player who had one out. But your description seems to exclude that possibility.

Second guess, did you exit the game entirely before clearing your cache? IIRC it's not enough to just logout and log back into. You need to exit, clear the cache and then restart the game.

Sorry I can't think of anything else right now

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tirilka View Post
    I heard rumors that it might trigger from 3d preview in Pet tab.
    Hmm, that sounds quite plausible. NPC Scan works by looking for the model in the cache. If you open the pet tab it will pull that model in.

I log to desktop out of game ot clear cache - yes.

Now when i log back in I am NOT opening the pet tab at all. I am going to ESC....interface....add ons....open npc scan and look at my table of rares and its instantly cached again.

What is going on ???? lol

The game instantly caches all of the pets in the pet library since that loads the moment you log in (notice it doesn't take time for the pet library to load when you open it). It doesn't matter if you open it or not, you cannot use NPCscan to watch for pets.
    Warlock Soloing & Progress | FC: 4141-3143-3405 | Metang, Mawile, and Klefki

If I recall, disabling my other pet addons (specifically the pet journal ones) and making sure not to open my pet tab allowed NPC scan to work for me in finding pets. This was a while ago though.

Jaym,

Thanks for the response. Got the pet but your explanation makes perfect sense. Im shocked that has not been mentioned before to save people a lot of grief.

However I have noticed that NPC scan is now automatically caching pets as soon as you zone into a zone where that rare could be found. Zoning into TH - cached Sambas - even though he wasn't cached before zoning in.....is this some type of new NPC scan bug????

Opening the pet journal will detect it as an NPC, this was happening to me while hunting it.

Deleted
    I tried using NPCscan for the green proto drake waay back, but it seemed to get cached anyway, even if I didn't find one. They probably work a little bit like hutner pets, so they'll be cached if someone has the pet summoned.

The weird cache-on-zone behaviour happens to me with Silverdragon - it is because you have seen the model elsewhere but SD ignores it because you're not in the right zone, but triggers the alarm when you do zone to the right location.

Not sure if npcScan replicates this behaviour now. I know it used to give me chat warnings about NPCs being cached in the wrong zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Change to SilverDragon, add UV as a custom NPC.

I used to use NPCScan, but SD actually scans NPC's in your vicinity rather than simply checking the cache.

Also has a list of every single rare mob anywhere built in, maybe someone has made a plugin for pets too (not checked, just added my own).

The source of this bug with me is having pet addons such as pet tracker on. Disable all pet related addons clear cache and then test npc scan by opening your pet journal.
    Battle pet breed ID addon is ok to leave on.

If this solves the problem for you, remember to again clear your cache after testing with your pet journal, before hunting for the pet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post
    Change to SilverDragon, add UV as a custom NPC.

I used to use NPCScan, but SD actually scans NPC's in your vicinity rather than simply checking the cache.

Also has a list of every single rare mob anywhere built in, maybe someone has made a plugin for pets too (not checked, just added my own).
    That's pretty sweet, I'm glad to read the alternative.

NPCScan is a great add-on, it's jut a bit too finicky for my tastes though. Much like OP's problem it's hard to search for pets and such.

And that cache clear requirement is annnoyyyingggg.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature