Poll: Have you tried pet battles?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Pet Battles: Have you tried them?

How many of you have tried Pet Battles?

If you have, what do you find fun about the feature?

What do you think can be improved?

What would you add to the feature if you were the developer?

or

Would you remove the feature all together?

Jaylock:

I have tried pet battles. I think the feature is meh, its kinda cool, but then again its a turn based game that requires literally no skill. You just match up the pets based on their strengths against other pets. My bet is that many people who collect pets do not pet battle in the PvP battles that are available. My 2 cents.
    Last edited by Jaylock; 2014-01-31 at 09:45 PM.

Deleted
    tried them? im addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    tried them? im addicted.
    I approve and agree with the Gnome... never thought I would say those words...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    tried them? im addicted.
    Pretty much. Definitely one of my favourite (and primary) activities since they were introduced with MoP.

I have never thought of turn-based gaming as very compelling. My thoughts on Pet Battles are indifferent, if it floats your boat than cool.

It's like a book that, once you put it down, you can't pick it up again.

The best thing about it is one can completely ignore it.
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2014-01-31 at 09:55 PM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Got a couple of 20's but I'm not fussed about them, it's typically something I do in phases. I'm a bit of a collector, though.

I've levelled up a bunch of pets to 25 and completed all of the trainers through Pandaria. But I don't pet battle very much. Its kind of boring to level up pets. I did a bunch on low-level alts while they were waiting in dungeon ques. But I'd rather do other things with my time in WoW. I'm not a collector, so I'm not driven to collecting everything. While I like to get cool new pets, I have so many already that getting more isn't really a priority for me.

I have nothing against the feature. Its a fun little side-game. But that's all it is to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post

or

Jaylock:

I have tried pet battles. I think the feature is meh, its kinda cool, but then again its a turn based game that requires literally no skill. You just match up the pets based on their strengths against other pets. My bet is that many people who collect pets do not pet battle in the PvP battles that are available. My 2 cents.
    Worst poll ever.

The question is "have you tried them?"
    The answers include "Yes, I'm an avid player"
    The answers do not include "Yes I have tried them and don't like them."
    Or "Yes I have tried them and think they are okay"

Do not deal in extremes only.

I've done a few, but really... It's pretty boring. It's just a less complicated version of pokemon.

Fighting against NPCs is just the same every damn time, and completely repetitive unless you miss an attack. While on the other hand, playing against players is just random because you never know what pets they'll have, so if you don't randomly have the right counters or at least things that can compete you can forfeit instantly since you already know what's going to happen.

As for how it can be improved, not sure, I don't personally think they should use resources changing things with pet battles, they don't really need to be changed to be effective and they probably won't get better than they are currently.

Also, the poll is abysmal. Where's the "Yes I tried them and they're boring/not fun" option? Of course, that would skew the results so can't have that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have any 25s, but i pet battle from time to time. I just don't get to play ad much as id like to. If i could play 12 hours a day if have plenty of 25s. I voted yes im an avid pet battler, though i feel like its a terrible poll. Yes and No is enough for the question of Have you tried them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Zero interest. I barely played Final Fantasy minigames on my console, and I did not find Pokemon fun or engaging on it's own. I think the pet battles detract from the core 'game' of Wow - stuff like the Brawlers Guild was much more interesting to me.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

I think the highest pet I have is level 8 or so. I've done it, but I just find them boring and it seems like you need the 'right' pets to be competitive against others. Just a diluted version of PVP in my eyes, it's a pass. But I do collect them for fun and profit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Addicted, far from...
    But I do have all wild pets in rare quality, except for Arctic Fox Kit.. and 560 pets in total.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

One of my favorite things to do ingame and the only reason I have an active account at the moment.

The pvp pet battles were ok, but kinda like Arena, there are comps that you see too many times that make it a little dull. I did my 1000 wins for the title, but there isn´t any rewards are reasons to keep going.

And that really is the biggest thing I would change. All of the rewards for pvp are based on full lvl 25 teams, but for me, a more important goal is leveling pets. It would be nice if there were more synergies with pvp and leveling pets.

Overall the entire system is very well done with over 600 pets to collect and level, and dozens of NPC tamers as well as pvp battles to do. Next expansion when there is breeding, it will add another level of depth.

10+ Year Old Account
    How many of you have tried Pet Battles? yes ive tried them, hard to vote in your extreme poll. but you are a sensationalist.

If you have, what do you find fun about the feature? i like that its more or less something quick, that wastes time when im either waiting for a friend to get online, or for raid time or something like that.

What do you think can be improved? i would like to see less leveling of individual pets, and more focus on unique and interesting ways to collect the pets. when first announced they mentioned searching for pets in different kinds of weather, times of day and different seasons. they gave us this, but more to make the pets scare, and thus a chore to farm. instead of a fun experience to collect and learn about.

What would you add to the feature if you were the developer? more opportunities to battle friends, guildies, or people im in a group with while idle in a raid.

Would you remove the feature all together? nope, this feature is a wonderful addition, and stands alone. if you have other things to do you can, i enjoy doing pet battles when im waiting.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes i love my pets and the fact they allowed us now to level, fight and catch others was a really really nice addition to the game
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

PVP pet battles are where the action is.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post

or

Jaylock:

just want to add, you are at the very first level of pet battles, you don´t see the depth to it yet. Sure, if you are fighting wild pets, you can just use a stronge pet against the enemy pet and will win, but the tamers, spirit tamers, and especially the celestial tournament are much more difficult that that. What you did is like going into RFC at level 16, clearing it and coming out and saying ´eh, instanced dungeons are too easy´.. Wild pet battles are the ´leveling and quest´ part of pet battles, not the challenging part.

Deleted
    Just recently got into them and got very addicted, now that I beat the celestial tournament I'm more chilled about them, its a cool part though I really like the feature