mana problems on heroic malk

i can't actually link logs because the person that does our logs left/took the logs down, and we still kill the boss, but it seems everytime we do it i'm down to like 4% mana when he hits 20 or so %.

i'm more so looking for suggestions/or hearing the way you heal the fight.

i use genesis a lot to top shields, and i use wild growth out of habit, but i'm thinking of cutting out wild growth because it doesn't seem to be doing much on average.

hps numbers is me at around 320k or so, our other druid at 160k, am i running oom because he's doing such low healing?

Normal malk? You shouldn't even have to get that much hps to keep everyone up. Make sure only one person is absorbing one puddle. More than one person per puddle is a waste since it doesn't divide up the damage

Quote Originally Posted by asil View Post
    i can't actually link logs because the person that does our logs left/took the logs down, and we still kill the boss, but it seems everytime we do it i'm down to like 4% mana when he hits 20 or so %.

i'm more so looking for suggestions/or hearing the way you heal the fight.

i use genesis a lot to top shields, and i use wild growth out of habit, but i'm thinking of cutting out wild growth because it doesn't seem to be doing much on average.

hps numbers is me at around 320k or so, our other druid at 160k, am i running oom because he's doing such low healing?
    Being low on mana at the end of the fight (any fight) is normal - but with 2 druids in the raid, there really should be a reason for such a big difference in your healing/mana consumption unless you aren't communicating with your other druid on what you are doing and who you are healing or he is substantially lower geared than yourself.

Towards the end of the fight there really shouldn't be too much you need to heal aside from the tanks and everyone should be pretty much topped off. I would ask your other druid what talents/abilities he is using and figure out how you 2 can coexist. Without logs or armory links it is really hard to tell why there is such a huge difference between the 2 of you though.

I would also suggest that you run combatlogs for all of the raids you do. It really isn't complicated and if it has come to the point to where you are comfortable asking people for help on forums this is something you should be doing anyway to give those people something to work with.

the gap between us is always huge, it's a problem i'm aware of, i do have to run to his side to top shields pretty often.

on average i'm 50-60k hps ahead of him on every healing fight.

our ilevels are the same. mine is 572 his is 573.

i'm guessing this is probably just because i have to heal both sides because he cant keep shields topped :/ and yeah i'll be logging next week, the problem is the guy wiped all of our logs, even our most recent malk kill so thats why i didn't have any.

the only difference i can see is he's using tol (he won't spec sotf for some reason) and i run sotf but sotf doesn't do much on this fight.

pretty much what my title should have said is "i have to compensate for another healer in my guild, what is the best way to do this"

i'm considering just stacking more spirit but i'd probably lose a decent amount of output and i'm not sure this is a good idea.
    Last edited by asil; 2014-02-01 at 12:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanthera View Post
    Normal malk? You shouldn't even have to get that much hps to keep everyone up. Make sure only one person is absorbing one puddle. More than one person per puddle is a waste since it doesn't divide up the damage
    read the title........'mana problems on heroic malk'
    your question has nothing to do with his post

The issue is obviously a communication issue between you and him. Instead of running over to his side, why not call out for him to heal the targets you want him to focus on? Have you ensured that his healing addon/UI shows Strong/Weak ancient barriers? Talk to HIM. We can't help you change how he heals. Your only other option is to replace him if he is that bad. I would suggest the "talking to him" method first though. Then if he refuses to listen - then find a replacement.

While this is more a generic view, I've generally found that if one healer is exceeding all others in effective healing, it's due to two reasons: either the one healer is carrying the healer team, or one healer isn't allowing other healers to do work.

If the other healers aren't doing their job or not playing effectively, it's pretty easy to dominate HPS. If one goes out of their way to snipe every heal and not let the other healers do their job, either your group can drop a healer or something needs to be worked out by the healer team to spread the love. Without logs, I couldn't tell you one way or another what's going on, but successfully completing an encounter at little/no mana isn't a bad thing by itself as a healer.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Genesis doesn't increase the Healing Per Cast Time forcing you to cycle through your raid with RJs faster. Save the Genesis for topping off before implosions if your soakers are in need and you don't have the Omen / NS up. Making sure you take advantage of the occasional Omen or Lifebloom refresh will buy you a little more time in the mana regen department.

Worse comes to worse, get Tree of Life and bask in the Clarity procs every 3 min.

I'd say there's a good chance he just doesn't heal the shields properly. Whether it's because he doesn't understand the important of it or maybe his UI doesn't show them clearly it's probably something you should bring up if it causes problems.

how you are running oom in 572 gear is quite beyond me, but are you always spamming rejuvs or what are you doing, wild growth also isnt that strong on this fight because it doesn't spread to 5 other players everytime, but using it with soul of the forest still makes it effective as long as you use it in melee, also the case where you are sniping heals can't be very accurate considering he can't keep up his own side, you should talk with him about his spell priority and target priority on that fight. still though might be a raid issue too, considering that you are doing 500k hps together, can't remember the total hps going that much over 400-450k, and are you running 2 or 3 healers?

and is it 25 or 10 man?

Quote Originally Posted by asil View Post
    Those numbers don't mean anything. Logs don't show overheal on Malkorok, so even if you heal players with green shields all the time it will show big HPS numbers.

TBH if you do 300k HPS, you can heal the boss alone, you don't need that much (effective) HPS. So my guess is that you are wasting a lot of mana healing players with a full shield. You should only rejuv the soakers, tanks, and players that lose their shield. WG/Efflo is enough to keep everyone else at green. Use SM, 2p, NS to top soakers off before/after soaking. Don't use Genesis unless multiple soakers are low. If the whole raid drops (e.g. failed soak), use tranq. You can use Shrooms to give the whole raid a green shield at the start and after P2.

Mindlessly spamming Rejuv on Malkorok looks good on paper (no, on healing meters) but is not required at all. Just heal what needs to be healed and you won't go oom.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    While this is more a generic view, I've generally found that if one healer is exceeding all others in effective healing, it's due to two reasons: either the one healer is carrying the healer team, or one healer isn't allowing other healers to do work.
    If you've healed together for a long time, it can also be that you've simply fallen into different roles. We've had the same core healing duo for about two years now, and I'm always topping healing done by a pretty wide margin. Since my co-healer knows I will cover most of the raw HPS requirements, she can focus on dealing with people who drop low. Since I know that she'll deal with most of the people who drop low, I can focus more on raw HPS. Both of us will do both jobs as necessary depending on the fight, but when nothing special is going on we'll default to those roles.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

thanks for the replies guys, but i've found the problem, i was just over using genesis to top his sides shields because i didn't have faith that he'd top them, we killed it again and i ended at around 340k hps with 30% mana left, so i'm assuming it was 100% just genesis.

also to the person that said i was spamming rejuv on green shields, i've never done that lol, i was literally just topping the 3 people on my side with genesis, and in order to top his side as well using genesis again, while also trying to keep tanks topped.

i've learned to just be calm about it, i don't really need to use genesis to top shields unless it's close to smash/i have no 2 pc or ns up.
    Last edited by asil; 2014-02-01 at 03:05 PM.

Why would you use genesis that much, its more of an oh shit button when you get rejuv up on a couple of people.

Quote Originally Posted by theburned View Post
    Why would you use genesis that much, its more of an oh shit button when you get rejuv up on a couple of people.
    to keep every shield green on both sides of the map, people running over orbs etc.