View Poll Results: Would it be nice to have visible seasons?

Voters
45. This poll is closed
  • I'd like it

25 55.56%
  • It would be distracting

0 0%
  • Don't change the zone's look

2 4.44%
  • I'll take the pizza

18 40.00%
    10+ Year Old Account

Four seasons, not just a pizza!

OK, it ain't gonna happen, but the game has slowly been gaining "seasonal" changes for things like pets and fishing. Zones, however, tend to be frozen in the season that they're associated with -- even where there are seasonal changes for something like pet spawns. Seasonal changes would mean altering whole zones and creating multiple looks for each zone, so I'm pretty sure it would be one of those projects that get a nod as possibly cool but too resource intensive.

On the other hand, I'm curious. Do you think seasonal changes would add to the game, be a distraction, be an outright annoyance because they'd change the look of a zone, or do you simply crave pizza quattro stagioni now?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

They'd be really cool IMO. Nothing major needed, just some nice details here and there. Shouldn't affect the atmosphere of zones too much but would certainly feel like they would be moving along with time.

Deleted
    seriously. a snow-covered Stormwind would be amazing. or leaves on the ground in autumn.
    i would love this so much.

Deleted
    That would be really cool to see but the perfect time to do that would have been during the update in Cata

In 2004 I thought weather would be amazing. Then I thought seasons would be the ultimate. We got weather, too bad I'd been burned out by the game from a year of 24/7 non stop WOW gaming anytime I wasn't sleeping or in the powder room.

For seasons to work, they'd need to be in mind at the design of the zone, Blizzard can't just put snow all over a zone with some magical universal filter with a snap of their finger. It would be like remaking a different version of every zone, every single nuance, for every season, or it would not feel right. And some zones are tropical and would be temperate and never have a season. Basically, it's too much work, and will only happen if the game is designed from the very beginning to accommodate the effect without it looking like an automated process.

A man can dream.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Would be cool... would make the world feel alot more living and breathing...
    Would be abit trickier in places covered in snow though... you're gonna bother melting them out? and make these zone green and lush during the summer? omg yes... that would be super cool! Northrend should stay in eternal winter, so it's np... but winterspring and Dun-Morogh could benefit.

If they scale the world to it's lore real size then seasons and even night/day circle will make a really nice addition, but in the current size where you can go from a desert area to a always winter one in just 5 minute it will be awkward.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

"Four Seasons" is not really possible if you know geography of WoW.
    Can you imagine Summer in Northrend?
    Can you imagine Winter in Tanaris?
    They would stay the same...
    It's not possible(in a visual way), just like Winter on Sahara, or Summer on the North/South Pole.

Weather is possible, like desert storms in Tanaris, rain in Elwynn Forest etc. But 4 season are big no.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    "Four Seasons" is not really possible if you know geography of WoW.
    Can you imagine Summer in Northrend?
    Can you imagine Winter in Tanaris?
    They would stay the same...
    It's not possible(in a visual way), just like Winter on Sahara, or Summer on the North/South Pole.

Weather is possible, like desert storms in Tanaris, rain in Elwynn Forest etc. But 4 season are big no.
    Guess what. That's exactly what would happen in those places. Four seasons is perfectly possible, just some places wouldn't see much of a change, exactly like they do in the real world!

But this is an ungodly amount of work for something that isn't all that useful. I'd rather the world designers create new zones than retexture everything 4 times(and that's the cheap and easy version).