10+ Year Old Account

Taking domestic dogs and releasing in wild sort of thing (more UK than anywhere else)

Hey guys,
    Was having a conversation in work the other day and have been thinking more about it a little over the weekend.
    Lets say you took 2-4 dogs and for the argument say Staffordshire bull terriers

If you brought them up from puppies the right way (letting them catch food etc) would you be able to take them somewhere where there is a huge forest and let them go could they thrive or would they fail? I cant think of anything they couldn't beat/eat

Only reason the topic came up is because we work on a farm where there is miles all around us with 0 humans but lots of wildlife.

(just to add this isn't something anyone is considering or trying it was literally a conversation started by why don't we have monkeys in our wild lol and it evolved)

What you guys think?
    ( For international people what about your country could it be done or impossible? )

Plenty races of dog are DOMESTIC, that means they are not supposed to be in THE WILD. Also puppies are not really into catching food etc, because they're helpless without their parents for a few weeks/month, they're more like lions, they have to LEARN how to catch their preys.

Just like human, what about releasing babies to the jungle?

I just don't know why people are asking SO STUPID questions? Just do some research and then think a little about it and maybe you will get a nice conclusion.
    (I'm not trolling or flaming, it's just my honest opinion about this question, it's stupid, and I actually told why I think so)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Plenty races of dog are DOMESTIC, that means they are not supposed to be in THE WILD. Also puppies are not really into catching food etc, because they're helpless without their parents for a few weeks/month, they're more like lions, they have to LEARN how to catch their preys.

Just like human, what about releasing babies to the jungle?

I just don't know why people are asking SO STUPID questions? Just do some research and then think a little about it and maybe you will get a nice conclusion.
    I didn't say releasing puppies...Bloody hell dude was just a fun conversation in work and seeing what others think.

Deleted
    There was a documentary on discovery channel once, discribing what dogs would do if "humans suddenly disapeared from the face of the earth". All I can say is " Planet of the DoGGs" ( your read right, that's a double G right there )

edit: because I just said Discovery Planet ))

Deleted
    a hungry animal will not starve in the wild. No matter how well it is brought up or looked after they will turn feral and rely on their natural instincts to survive, hunt and feed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    a hungry animal will not starve in the wild. No matter how well it is brought up or looked after they will turn feral and rely on their natural instincts to survive, hunt and feed.
    If the world suddenly went black and a human didn't have the skills to build a fire, traps, weapons, etc then that person would starve to death. Its the same for domesticated predatory animals that are born near helpless and never learned how to hunt. I've seen it happen. I grew up in the country and people would drop unwanted pets off by a wooded area. Those animals almost always starve to death.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    There was a documentary on discovery channel once, discribing what dogs would do if "humans suddenly disapeared from the face of the earth". All I can say is " Planet of the DoGGs" ( your read right, that's a double G right there )
    Think I saw the same, it was part of a series of how lots of things would turn out if humans just got up and disappeared one day. That was some feral doggystyle right there.

I don't know how you're going to teach those dogs the necessary skills they need to survive.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I don't know how you're going to teach those dogs the necessary skills they need to survive.
    I'm not really sure either, That was one of the sticking points we got to in work too
    Going to try and find that docu on discovery too.

Farm dogs seem to do just fine hunting for extra food whenever they need it. And also defending themselves against predatory animals (coyotes and mountain lions).

Deleted
    And all the love to staffs (got one myself) but they aren't exactly the fastest or the most agile breed out there, strength alone isn't going to help them hunt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, this could happen~

But seriously, there are MANY packs of feral/wild dogs; some that were pets, dumped by selfish assholes & the resulting ongoing breeding making a bigger pack with future generations that are actually born into a feral life. It's a horrible thing.

packs of wild dogs attack

packs of wild dogs in Detroit

But you're asking/musing on why aren't there wild monkeys in every forest? Or why aren't there every kind of wild animal in every forested area or areas with low pop of humans?
    kintsukuroi
    ‘golden repair’, is the Japanese art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer. The aesthetic philosophy focuses on imperfections rather than attempting to disguise them, with the intention that the piece becomes both more valuable and more beautiful because of its history and for having been broken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarlily View Post
    But you're asking/musing on why aren't there wild monkeys in every forest? Or why aren't there every kind of wild animal in every forested area or areas with low pop of humans?
    Not so much every forest sort of thing but more a thing of trying to think of what we have in the UK in the wild and if you put these dogs (or monkeys really anything just musing) there isn't a predator here that would stop them from surviving, Only humans really. But also I guess diseases could/would be more of an issue.

But yes we have quite a bit of woodland where I live but rarely see animals (See Pheasants, Rabbits, Foxes, Badgers and squirrels mostly)

Deer seem to thrive here (I live in the west country part of England) and yet rarely see them aside from a couple of times a month running in the woods on way to/from work.

Actually my lack of any historical knowledge of my country isn't helping perhaps I should look and see what sort of wild animals we had in the past just out of interest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    And all the love to staffs (got one myself) but they aren't exactly the fastest or the most agile breed out there, strength alone isn't going to help them hunt.
    My brother has 2 and they were the toughest sort of dog I could think of at the time lol, I have a Labrador and cant see him lasting 5 mins without food in sight lol