Page 12 of 97 FirstFirst ...
2
10
11
12
13
14
22
62
... LastLast
  1. #221
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    You can't "have no skills" and be able to cook. Cooking is a skill.

    They can go sell tacos on the corner of the street, if they want to apply for a street vendor's license. They still have to demonstrate that the food meets minimum health standards, though, to get that license, because the government has a vested interest in making sure the population doesn't get poisoned by shoddy cooking practices.
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.

  2. #222
    I am Murloc! Garnier Fructis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Location:
    Posts
    5,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    What if they have no skills but they can cook. And let's say due to high minimum requirements for a minimum wage job they can't get one but wanna work. Why can't they just go sell tacos on the corner of the street?
    That's why we have welfare and unemployment benefits and such. If a surfer dude can take advantage of welfare to eat lobsters and sushi and shit, I seriously doubt that Mr. Cook can't just use some welfare money to get his license.

    Also, high minimum requirements for a minimum wage job? Are you telling me that there's someone who can cook but can't make a Mcburger?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.
    I can't cook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
    Is physics forever relegated to reiterating integrals that can never approach the derivative limits of true reality?
    Quote Originally Posted by auBerg View Post
    You are a certified crackpot that is subservient to the manipulators of science who are dreaming to control knowledge.

  3. #223
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.
    Every action you take is a skill. I know people who can barely cook ramen. Cooking is a skill.

    3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

  4. #224
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    That's why we have welfare and unemployment benefits and such. If a surfer dude can take advantage of welfare to eat lobsters and sushi and shit, I seriously doubt that Mr. Cook can't just use some welfare money to get his license.

    Also, high minimum requirements for a minimum wage job? Are you telling me that there's someone who can cook but can't make a Mcburger?
    What kind of fucking logic is that. Why even go to that point. Let them eat tacos! Well you can't make a mcburger when mcdonalds requires a fuckin mcbachelors. Or 3 years experience or a clean driving record.

  5. #225
    Warchief Seefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    A little south of sanity
    Posts
    2,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.
    You seriously just need to stop now, all you are doing is making yourself sound dumb.
    "Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one who inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it." - Mark Twain

  6. #226
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    What kind of fucking logic is that. Why even go to that point. Let them eat tacos! Well you can't make a mcburger when mcdonalds requires a fuckin mcbachelors. Or 3 years experience or a clean driving record.
    In what universe do they do this? Seriously?

    3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

  7. #227
    I am Murloc! Garnier Fructis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Location:
    Posts
    5,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    What kind of fucking logic is that. Why even go to that point. Let them eat tacos! Well you can't make a mcburger when mcdonalds requires a fuckin mcbachelors. Or 3 years experience or a clean driving record.
    That must be why all those high school students and college students working towards their mcbachelors are working at McD already.

    I'd also like to add that there is no politician stupid enough to try removing food regulations, because their head will be the first to roll when Timmy dies from a badly prepared fish stick from the guy with the cart on 5th Avenue. Or the second head; the fish stick guy's head might roll first.
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2014-02-02 at 08:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
    Is physics forever relegated to reiterating integrals that can never approach the derivative limits of true reality?
    Quote Originally Posted by auBerg View Post
    You are a certified crackpot that is subservient to the manipulators of science who are dreaming to control knowledge.

  8. #228
    Epic! fengosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada, Eh
    Posts
    1,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    If I have to give detailed regulations then you can't use the rhetoric " taxes pay for roads". The gasoline tax yes but not the income tax.
    "Taxes pay for roads" isn't rhetoric. Taxes literally pay for roads.

  9. #229
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    I still find that your beliefs are entirely idealistic without any basis or reference to actual economics.
    The belief that minimum wage shouldn't function as minimum wage (despite the very term stating otherwise) has nothing to do with economics and everything to do with the greed of the few and the ignorance of many. Judging by your posts I would guess you are the latter.

    Contrary to what you're thinking, simply stating that your argument "sides with economics" doesn't make it so.

    To state that the lowest in our society with the least going for them who take on the jobs the rest of us aren't willing to do and have the option of not doing should have their basic needs met is not idealism. It is simply common sense.

    What irks me here is that your argument against raising min wage isn't that the people on it are able to sustain themselves fine already.

    Instead your argument seems to be that they shouldn't.

    And that is not what civilized society is about.
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    I am a liberal, I vote democrat. That doesn't mean I agree with the ludicrously naive belief that a full-time job entitles one to the concept they should be able to entirely support themself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.

  10. #230
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    "Taxes pay for roads" isn't rhetoric. Taxes literally pay for roads.
    The gasoline tax pays for roads. But if you say taxes pay for roads it's easier to pass new taxes.

  11. #231
    This thread started very amusingly but I've got to the end and I feel like I'm at the tail end of some horrid hallucinogenic experience. I should go back to bed
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Evel Knievel is Chaotic Evil.

  12. #232
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    The gasoline tax pays for roads. But if you say taxes pay for roads it's easier to pass new taxes.
    The gasoline tax is nowhere near sufficient to pay for the degree of infrastructure we need. Gasoline taxes are one of the many taxes that go towards building and maintaining roads.

    3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

  13. #233
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.
    I hope you are joking here.
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    I am a liberal, I vote democrat. That doesn't mean I agree with the ludicrously naive belief that a full-time job entitles one to the concept they should be able to entirely support themself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.

  14. #234
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.
    Suppose we can go tell culinary schools and master chefs to pack it up and go home, since anyone can do their job and demand is going to crash?

  15. #235
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.
    I am sorry I seriously have to just stop here and ask you if you are really retarded enough to believe what I am reading here.

    At this point you either have to be trolling or simply too stupid for this debate.


    [Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2014-02-02 at 05:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    I am a liberal, I vote democrat. That doesn't mean I agree with the ludicrously naive belief that a full-time job entitles one to the concept they should be able to entirely support themself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.

  16. #236
    Herald of the Titans diddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    District of Columbia, USA
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    The belief that minimum wage shouldn't function as minimum wage (despite the very term stating otherwise) has nothing to do with economics and everything to do with the greed of the few and the ignorance of many. Judging by your posts I would guess you are the latter.

    Contrary to what you're thinking, simply stating that your argument "sides with economics" doesn't make it so.

    To state that the lowest in our society with the least going for them who take on the jobs the rest of us aren't willing to do and have the option of not doing should have their basic needs met is not idealism. It is simply common sense.

    What irks me here is that your argument against raising min wage isn't that the people on it are able to sustain themselves fine already.

    Instead your argument seems to be that they shouldn't.

    And that is not what civilized society is about.
    Please give me the source that says that minimum wage is called so because it is supposed to give the minimum one needs to life off of. It simply means that it is the minimum wage that an employer can legally offer.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage

    Check out the first sentence.
    "The problem with a rational mind is that it can rationalize anything."

    "I have an IQ of 145, and a PhD - but when I go to wipe my ass more often than not I will get poop on my hand."

    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...w/Ntaki/simple

  17. #237
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    It simply means that it is the minimum wage that an employer can legally offer.
    Thank you for stating the very obvious.

    It already has been established and not really contested that companies offer min wages because they are made to by law.

    Simply stating that fact on its own is really quite irrelevant.

    Minimum wage exists because minimum wage law exists. And minimum wage law exists so that even the most unfortunate individuals in society aren't treated like animals and have the means to sustain and better themselves.

    This is common sense and the fact that I have to sit here and explain this to anyone is part of the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    I am a liberal, I vote democrat. That doesn't mean I agree with the ludicrously naive belief that a full-time job entitles one to the concept they should be able to entirely support themself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.

  18. #238
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    Please give me the source that says that minimum wage is called so because it is supposed to give the minimum one needs to life off of. It simply means that it is the minimum wage that an employer can legally offer.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage

    Check out the first sentence.

    FDR, the architect of the minimum wage in this country, would disagree with your assessment.


    The entire purpose was to force employers to pay workers a living wage for the time.

    3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

  19. #239
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post

    FDR, the architect of the minimum wage in this country, would disagree with your assessment.


    The entire purpose was to force employers to pay workers a living wage for the time.
    For the record, I simply can't wait to see your reply to that one Diddle.
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    I am a liberal, I vote democrat. That doesn't mean I agree with the ludicrously naive belief that a full-time job entitles one to the concept they should be able to entirely support themself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostop it View Post
    Cooking is a skill? In wow maybe.

  20. #240
    Herald of the Titans diddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    District of Columbia, USA
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    For the record, I simply can't wait to see your reply to that one Diddle.
    FDR also thought Social Security was going to turn out well. Please tell me in the law where it specifies that a minimum wage must be a living wage, not just FDR's personal rhetoric.

    I am also honored to be immortalized in your signature.
    Last edited by diddle; 2014-02-02 at 08:58 AM.
    "The problem with a rational mind is that it can rationalize anything."

    "I have an IQ of 145, and a PhD - but when I go to wipe my ass more often than not I will get poop on my hand."

    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...w/Ntaki/simple

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •