Laptop has 2 GPUs? (need help!)

Hey there! So me and my friend was trying to play Arma 2, just bought it for her, but when she runs the game, she gets an error up

"Display adapter does not support format D24S8 for X8R8G8B8" (if you know a solution, please share! )

That dosnt tell me much, tried searching some, but cant find a solution.

Now, when I went to look on her specs, I noticed she had 2 different GPUs. And It seems like one is better than the other one, or somthing

My question is: Why is there 2 GPUs? Are they working together? if not, how can I switch?

Its her work laptop she uses for lawschool so cant risk messing it up.

Help would be deeply appreciated!

-Warex

FIXED!
    Last edited by warex00; 2014-02-02 at 01:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The laptop may not be able to run ARMA 2.

That error code is related to DirectDraw not being enabled, which makes sense if the GPU is below spec.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Make/model of the laptop?
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Need more info. What two GPUs? What laptop?

That error however likely means its too old, or the drivers are. Chances are, drivers.

OR

When you mention Dual GPU, it likely uses a switching tech to go between the onboard, integrated GPU, and the dedicated one for games, and the game is for some reason using the onboard.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    go to energy setting and set to max

The weapon of my choice are great balls of fire!

Thanks for quick reply.

The laptop is called: Lenovo G780

It has

i7-3632qm
    8gb ram
    GPU: HD Graphic 4000 / Geforce GT635m

Did lots of research and the laptop should pass the minimum requirments, she can run wow on quite decent graphics, aswell as many other games wich I though would require more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jarmale View Post
    go to energy setting and set to max
    Tried it, didnt work :/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Need more info. What two GPUs? What laptop?

That error however likely means its too old, or the drivers are. Chances are, drivers.

OR

When you mention Dual GPU, it likely uses a switching tech to go between the onboard, integrated GPU, and the dedicated one for games, and the game is for some reason using the onboard.
    http://i.imgur.com/HiE7AIq.png = GPU

Requirment check = http://i.imgur.com/U6gOjRl.png

HD Graphics 4000 is essentially integrated graphics that runs off of the CPU itself. Likely what's going on is that the HD Graphics 4000 powers everything unless there is graphics demand and then it switches over to the GT635m. It stays on the HD Graphics 4000 to save power. Likely Arma 2 is seeing that before you launch the game that the presently running graphics chip doesn't meet minimum requirements, so it dies. You need to find a way to force the GT635m to be picked up I'd think.

The unit does in fact have two GPU's

1 is built into the Core i7 processor, this one is basic, not designed or capable of gaming.

The other is the Nvidia Graphical chipset model GT635m, this is the chipset you need to be using.

You will need to ensure that the game is set to use the nvidia display adapter in the graphics settings or you will be unable to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by delk View Post
    HD Graphics 4000 is essentially integrated graphics that runs off of the CPU itself. Likely what's going on is that the HD Graphics 4000 powers everything unless there is graphics demand and then it switches over to the GT635m. It stays on the HD Graphics 4000 to save power. Likely Arma 2 is seeing that before you launch the game that the presently running graphics chip doesn't meet minimum requirements, so it dies. You need to find a way to force the GT635m to be picked up I'd think.
    Exactly what im thinking, telling her to do download latest driver for the geforce one. Will be back with results soon (not optimistic tho)

Quote Originally Posted by warex00 View Post
    Thanks for quick reply.

The laptop is called: Lenovo G780

It has

i7-3632qm
    8gb ram
    GPU: HD Graphic 4000 / Geforce GT635m

Did lots of research and the laptop should pass the minimum requirments, she can run wow on quite decent graphics, aswell as many other games wich I though would require more.

- - - Updated - - -

Tried it, didnt work :/

WoW doesn't use the GPU as much as other games, and the GT635m is not very good, worse than the gt630 GPU and that is a bottom-end card.

I was able to barely play Arma2 on my old 9500GT at 1080p(10-15fps when things got busy), so you should be able to handle low settings at a similar resolution with comfortable framerates(20s-30s).
    Last edited by tielknight; 2014-02-02 at 01:24 AM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Also make sure you have the latest nVidia drivers, you can download them here: http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Deleted
    I have same problem with some games, to fix it the most common method I find works is once you've updated drivers, go to your nvidia control panel (right click on desktop, click nvidia control panel in case you don't know) and then go to manage 3d settings under 3d settings. Choose application from drop down list of applications and then 2nd section select the graphics card you want it to run (it should say something like high-performance nvidia processor). Hope this helps!

Updated driver, and it works. Thanks for the help guys. Can always count on getting help from you guys <3