10+ Year Old Account

Need some class advice if possible (and allowed).

I haven't touched SWToR seriously since it came out (played 1 month after release but stopped because my laptop couldn't handle the game). I believe I played a Sith Inquisitor (the assassin type) but I don't really enjoy that class/spec or whatever it is anymore.

Now I was wondering if there's a class that plays similarly to the mage in WoW. I know it's a completely different game, but I was just wondering if there is any class that feels like it.

Besides that, which classes are actually the most OP? When I looked on the SWToR arena leaderboards I saw that the Sith Inquisitor is actually one of the highest ranked. Could this be because it's rather strong or because it's a more played class?

Any help is welcome ^^

Sorcerer (or Sage on the Republic side) plays most like a mage from WoW

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's hard to draw a direct link between a mage and any SWTOR class, but yeah, a Sith Sorceror kind of fits. They can do damage at long range using a type of "magic". Plus they often wear robes.

You may also want to consider the Gunslinger or Sniper class, who are also ranged DPS. Sure, you're using a blaster rifle rather than your wizard powers, but they put out some serious damage, even in the hands of a relatively unskilled player. They are sometimes considered "OP" for this reason.

I can't offer any comments about the arena leaderboards, since I've never tried any PVP in the game, sorry! But Inquisitors are pretty much the most popular class, as far as I know... I think their population is double or triple certain of the less favoured classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, that was a quick answer! I had a feeling the Sorcerer/Sage might've been most similar due to obvious reasons, but was wondering if there were other class/spec combinations that would resemble the mage a bit more.

Edit: Ok so I just downloaded the game and all and I'm looking at the servers. Why are all the EU servers light in population? Is it just US that is actively playing SWToR or something? :/

Anybody knows a populated, English speaking PvP server?
    Last edited by Terahertz; 2014-02-03 at 12:51 AM.

the status is updated constantly to show the current activity not just a general capacity or whatever the hell wow uses exactly, so while they appear light at 1:44AM (if that was your post time) they will be usually standard (I think one or 2 heavy too) at something closer to a time when people actually play more ^^

there is just 1 english pvp server iirc :P
    Last edited by Enosh; 2014-02-03 at 03:00 AM.

For the servers, at prime time the english-speaking ones in EU are all heavy. Also, I believe there is one PvE, one PvP and one RP server (that are english speaking) so you are kind of limited in that respect.

As for a range caster, commandos are also good for pve but not great for pvp. If you want the best range dps for pvp then roll gunslinger/sniper.

Regarding the server, The Red Eclipse is really busy with pugs going on all the time.

About the choice of class, as others said the sorcerer is really close to feeling like a mage, but in terms of game mechanics I thinks Snipers/Gunslingers are closer to the playstyle, due to them being pure DPS classes. As a Sorcerer you have 1 tree that is for direct damage, 1 tree for dots and 1 tree for healing. As a sniper you get 1 tree for heavy 'turret' single target DPS, 1 tree for heavy AoE and 1 tree for dots. And generally at endgame if you have the capability to spec tank/heals, you should expect that people ask you to fill those roles.

sith sorc/jedi sage. play it AND LOVE IT. I have never had so much fun in bgs with any class in any mmo that i had with my jedi sage tbh. So much instanukes, fast casts and on top of that have knockback, stun, cc, sprint, shield and NO spellpushback Jedi sage/sith sorcerer is a wet casterdream come true. and you got a rly nice healingspec you can swap to aswell.
    Its also the easiest class to top medalcount in bgs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    sith sorc/jedi sage. play it AND LOVE IT. I have never had so much fun in bgs with any class in any mmo that i had with my jedi sage tbh. So much instanukes, fast casts and on top of that have knockback, stun, cc, sprint, shield and NO spellpushback Jedi sage/sith sorcerer is a wet casterdream come true. and you got a rly nice healingspec you can swap to aswell.
    Its also the easiest class to top medalcount in bgs
    Alright! First positive thing I've read about the sorcerer/sage class

I'm currently contemplating if I want to play Jedi or Sith. I've already played the Sith Inquisitor story line up until lvl 36, so I don't think it's actually a smart idea to play the same story line again. Kinda wondering though if Jedi or Sith are more popular though.

Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    Alright! First positive thing I've read about the sorcerer/sage class

I'm currently contemplating if I want to play Jedi or Sith. I've already played the Sith Inquisitor story line up until lvl 36, so I don't think it's actually a smart idea to play the same story line again. Kinda wondering though if Jedi or Sith are more popular though.
    Sith are more popular, but if you've already played(or well, partly played) the Inquisitor story you may as well roll Jedi. If you do wanna go Sith again, you can at least play through your character differently...if you were playing as a hero type the first time, play a full on dick who shocks everyone in sight this time, or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Sith are more popular, but if you've already played(or well, partly played) the Inquisitor story you may as well roll Jedi. If you do wanna go Sith again, you can at least play through your character differently...if you were playing as a hero type the first time, play a full on dick who shocks everyone in sight this time, or vice versa.

I like the TK-Sage better, every time I'm on it i feel like I'm playing a DB/Z toon.