Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How do Mages learn Portals?

Sorry noob question, but how do they do it?

I got LV85 and only learnt 1 portal/Teleport. How to learn the others, like teleport to shrine?
    Capitalism, Ho!

IIRC there are portal trainers that teach these. The one that I can think of most readily is in the mage tower in SW right next to the portal you show up at when porting to SW, assuming you're alliance. I'm sure there's one in the Shrine too because I know my mage learned it but I couldn't tell you where. I'm sure wowhead could though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonian View Post
    IIRC there are portal trainers that teach these. The one that I can think of most readily is in the mage tower in SW right next to the portal you show up at when porting to SW, assuming you're alliance. I'm sure there's one in the Shrine too because I know my mage learned it but I couldn't tell you where. I'm sure wowhead could though.
    Its automatic when you reach lvl 90.

Thought the rest were too, but cant say for sure. I leveled my mage when I still had to pay to learn spells.

Quote Originally Posted by jimme View Post
    Its automatic when you reach lvl 90.

Thought the rest were too, but cant say for sure. I leveled my mage when I still had to pay to learn spells.
    Leveled a mage recently and wondered. You get the portal for your races capital automatically but have to train the rest in a city.
    Why read words when we can kill stuff the words tell us about?
    You have dreamed of death, you thought to escape it. Now, my little puppet, death is all you will ever know.
    NO ITEMS EEEVVVEEERRR!!!

I believe for most portals you learn them in the major cities.

Stormwind is in the portal room, Larimaine Purdue teaches them.

For certain places, it would be locked to character level (shrine of seven stars etc).

For horde, I'm not 100% sure on the portal trainers location, probably in the Cleft of Shadow in Orgrimmar.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.wowhead.com/search?q=portal+trainer

^
    Here's a list of trainers.

You are able to learn Teleport and Portal spells at the following levels:

17 - Teleport: Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor faction capitols
    42 - Portal: (as above)
    62 - Teleport: Shattrath
    66 - Portal: Shattrath
    71 - Teleport: Dalaran
    74 - Portal: Dalaran
    85 - Teleport and Portal: Tol Barad
    90 - Teleport and Portal: Vale of Eternal Blossoms

You can learn all of these spells after you hit the appropriate level at ANY portal trainer in ANY city. It just has to be a portal trainer and not a mage trainer.

Last I checked you still had to visit a portal trainer to learn most of them. Easiest one would be the portal trainer in SW/Org, IIRC they're standing right beside the portal to Blasted Lands. But there are portal trainers in every city I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Easiest way is to get another mage to port you around - you pop up right next to the portal trainers. I've done this on my mage for several people over the years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Easiest way is to get another mage to port you around - you pop up right next to the portal trainers. I've done this on my mage for several people over the years.
    As I've written above, it is no longer needed, any portal trainer can teach you any portal spell as long as you meet the level requirement. It's quite sad really, I have fond memories discovering these portals, how they work and where to learn them. I would venture a wild guess and say that most people who leveled a mage in MoP don't even know how Exodar, Darnassus or Silvermoon even look like unless they went to farm some seasonal achievements on their mage.

Not 100% sure, but I thought the dalaran portal had to be learned from the Portal trainer in dalaran (though that might only have been when Wrath was current content).

Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    As I've written above, it is no longer needed, any portal trainer can teach you any portal spell as long as you meet the level requirement. It's quite sad really, I have fond memories discovering these portals, how they work and where to learn them. I would venture a wild guess and say that most people who leveled a mage in MoP don't even know how Exodar, Darnassus or Silvermoon even look like unless they went to farm some seasonal achievements on their mage.
    Sorry, I started typing my response before you made yours, I just sat on it for a while :-P I didn't know they did that, that's extremely lame >.> I too remember hoofing it around to get all the portals at the appropriate level. The ride from Darnassus down to Theramore was the fun one :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .

IS there some portal to Theramore? I remember people ask for that sometimes.
    Capitalism, Ho!

There is but it dumps you in the air unlike ancient dalaran it isn't enough to kill you. As the portal was originally located at the top floor of the tower with Lady Proudmore.

17 - Teleport: Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor faction capitals

You can learn all of these spells after you hit the appropriate level at ANY portal trainer in ANY city. It just has to be a portal trainer and not a mage trainer.
    And at some point, Ancient Teleport/Portal: Dalaran. Forgot what level, but to get Teleport, you need to go to Scarlet Monastery: Library/Armory (right side if you're gonna solo the easy-mode), and defeat the last boss quickly before he burns this little book just right of the entry way. (Note: These books are tradeable and sellable on the AH, but you cannot get another if you learn the spell). To get the Portal spell, you go to a vendor in Dalaran. The vendor will not have it until you learn Teleport, first.

PS: This vendor also has the Polymorph: Black Cat book if you didn't get that either and want a ridiculously overpriced book for an awesome Polymorph. She also has [s]Dalaran Intellect[s/]*/Dalaran Brilliance which is just a cooler form of Arcane Intellect*/Arcane Brilliance. If you're too lazy to look her up, she's just left if you're coming out of the Alliance portals area (just right if you're facing the portal entryway).

* The Intellect spells have been removed from the game, but she used to sell it at a time. Damn Blizzard never refunded me for that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Henzington View Post
    There is but it dumps you in the air unlike ancient dalaran it isn't enough to kill you. As the portal was originally located at the top floor of the tower with Lady Proudmore.
    The original point was actually just outside of the Mage Tower. If it was the top floor, it would probably kill you.

The ground where the Mage Tower used to be, however, is now a crater, hence the small fall. (Note: If your HP is under 10%, you might actually die)

Progression pre-nerfed: [T17] 6/7H; 0/10N

Doesn't Theramore only phase if you've done the scenario?

Indeed, before you complete the scenario (or when you reach level 85 or 90) you are able to complete the Theramore quest chain in the "old" version, before the bomb hit.

Pro tip: after the death of Sha of Pride, equip your best lackadaisical face, walk to the left corner of the room, summon a portal to Old Dalaran where the portal to Orgrimmar will appear and enjoy the show.

17 - Teleport: Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor faction capitols

+Stonard (Swamp of Sorrows) for Horde and Theramore (Dustwallow) for Alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychokwak View Post
    Pro tip: after the death of Sha of Pride, equip your best lackadaisical face, walk to the left corner of the room, summon a portal to Old Dalaran where the portal to Orgrimmar will appear and enjoy the show.
    IMO if you're Horde (sadly I'm not), summoning an actual Portal to Orgrimmar would be better. You'd get more people to 'fall' for it because they wouldn't know which one is real.

Progression pre-nerfed: [T17] 6/7H; 0/10N

Keyboard Turner
    It is nice to have the trainers now