Page 1 of 18
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Preventing PvP on a PvE Realm: No More "Accidental" Flagging

    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Well, I understand where you're coming from, but flagging as a PvE character is based on a player's action to flag themselves (even if it's on accident), so I'm not sure it's us making you PvP. The systems that can cause someone to flag can absolutely at times be involuntary, which is notably frustrating.

    In any case we are continuing toward a goal of a PvP on/off toggle for players on PvE realms to be added in Warlords of Draenor, which would absolutely and in all situations allow someone to refrain from becoming flagged regardless of their actions. Heals toward flagged players would fail, coalescing to PvP realms wouldn't be possible, misclicks and AoE's would never damage a flagged opponent, etc. It's actually quite a bit of work because of all the systems involved, but it's still something we think PvE players should have, and how the game should work for them.

    ~ Bashiok
    Source

    So, PvE players will finally get to avoid the PvP antics of instigators. It's about time. PvP has no place on a PvE realm. It belongs in Arenas, BGs, and PvP/RP-PvP realms. I see the need to have NPCs for "For The Alliance/Horde" to be flagged. Every other NPC should get the same setting as child characters in the game. Auctioneers, boatmen, vendors, etc. None of them should be killable, not on PvE realms. The king, city guards, and defending players should be flagged.

    PvP has it's place, and now, just like neutering Twinks, we can neuter griefers.
    Last edited by Tyrion Lannister; 2014-02-04 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Amended position on City Raids.

  2. #2
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Muskegon, MI
    Posts
    354
    I don't see how that's griefing by any means. How do you accidentally flag yourself and get ganked? Griefers are those guys that you see camping PvP realm starting zones for new content while players are trying to level their alts IE: Pandaria starting zones. If you get flagged healing someone that is flagged for PvP, you're knowingly assisting a flagged person. Healbot has a way already to avoid accidental flagging, so I'm not quite sure how difficult it would be for them.
    Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

    --Auron, Final Fantasy X

  3. #3
    Isn't the main premise of the game Horde vs Alliance? Also, how do you accidentally flag yourself?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Beartastic View Post
    I don't see how that's griefing by any means. How do you accidentally flag yourself and get ganked? Griefers are those guys that you see camping PvP realm starting zones for new content while players are trying to level their alts IE: Pandaria starting zones. If you get flagged healing someone that is flagged for PvP, you're knowingly assisting a flagged person. Healbot has a way already to avoid accidental flagging, so I'm not quite sure how difficult it would be for them.
    Smart heals do flag you if you are in a raid group, for example for world bosses - at least for my monk. Even if you say "then don't invite PVP flag people" would not work, because they can flag themselves during the battle.
    Then there may be PVP flagged people near a NPC which you want to click, and he moves and you accidentely click on him. Or they even force it by standing in your mob while fighting hoping you will accidently click on them.
    For sure there are other ways to flag you although you did not intend to, and a switch that will remove that is a good thing.

  5. #5
    The Lightbringer SL1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois.
    Posts
    3,009
    Quote Originally Posted by MyLifeIsRandom View Post
    Isn't the main premise of the game Horde vs Alliance? Also, how do you accidentally flag yourself?
    That would be fine, but now you got things like the censor that allow faction on faction pvp. I'm tired of some asshole dancing around the celestials, ordos, and other rares trying to flag people.

    It's long overdue.

  6. #6
    That's a main feature of the Timeless Isle, though. If you're alone, you can just let a rare they are by maul them to death. That or watch what you're targeting. If they're by the celestials or Ordos, you should have a lot of people backing you up that will make any ass hat an easy kill. Then you can just chill at base camp for 5min. or so. Alternatively, if they are just there to screw with people, you can all take some responsibility and report them for their behaviour.

  7. #7
    Scarab Lord Moon Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Behind her rifle, in that tree you just passed.
    Posts
    4,624
    Quote Originally Posted by MyLifeIsRandom View Post
    Isn't the main premise of the game Horde vs Alliance? Also, how do you accidentally flag yourself?
    Smart heals, having a flagged person mount up and stand over a rare etc. etc. Mostly underhanded shit that cowards do when surrounded by a majority of fellow faction mates. Blundering into guards can do it too, though that is less "forgiveable". For a PvE server, having something that prevents you from flagging period is great, so long as it renders guards and other faction based NPCs unattackable until you manually flag.
    If it's not an elf, leave it on the shelf.
    Night Elf Independence Movement

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by MyLifeIsRandom View Post
    That's a main feature of the Timeless Isle, though. If you're alone, you can just let a rare they are by maul them to death. That or watch what you're targeting. If they're by the celestials or Ordos, you should have a lot of people backing you up that will make any ass hat an easy kill. Then you can just chill at base camp for 5min. or so. Alternatively, if they are just there to screw with people, you can all take some responsibility and report them for their behaviour.
    Well, there is obviously the missunderstanding. It may be a feature for you, because you like PVP. Others don't.
    I say the switch to turn PVP ultimately off is a feature.

    And it doesn't even affect you, you obviously play on a PVP server so nothing changes for you.

  9. #9
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    23,381
    Quote Originally Posted by MyLifeIsRandom View Post
    Isn't the main premise of the game Horde vs Alliance? Also, how do you accidentally flag yourself?
    Let's say In in a group and you're flagged and I'm not. I heal you, I flag myself. Some asshat Horde is like "OH HI DER...ORC SMASH!!!" I die. Or


    I'm standing and this Orc player is hoving over my character taunting me to try and attack him. I accidently misclick because I'm trying to use a spell but I accidently hit him. He then goes to attack me. Basically it prevents these scenarios so *pvpers* don't get their jollies out of pissing folks off.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...htsongg/simple https://twitter.com/Aeluron1989

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    That would be fine, but now you got things like the censor that allow faction on faction pvp. I'm tired of some asshole dancing around the celestials, ordos, and other rares trying to flag people.

    It's long overdue.
    If you click on a player instead of a huge NPC or boss like Ordos, you kinda need the downtime at the gy to figure out what you are doing wrong.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. -Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
    "Not everything on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Good is the enemy of great.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by MyLifeIsRandom View Post
    That's a main feature of the Timeless Isle, though. If you're alone, you can just let a rare they are by maul them to death. That or watch what you're targeting. If they're by the celestials or Ordos, you should have a lot of people backing you up that will make any ass hat an easy kill. Then you can just chill at base camp for 5min. or so. Alternatively, if they are just there to screw with people, you can all take some responsibility and report them for their behaviour.
    But none of what you said is an argument against the switch. If people don't want to pvp, they shouldnt have to pvp, especially on pve servers which are generally incredibly imbalanced faction wise. If you want to pvp go to a pvp server or designated pvp area, ezpz.

  12. #12
    High Overlord Rexighar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The velvet hurricane
    Posts
    197
    Uhh no, if you come into my city and try to kill my king, i should be able to mop the floor with your face.

  13. #13
    Thank god. Being able to die, and having to actually run back, was utterly draconian.

    They should just remove death altogether, this isn't 2004 anymore.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion

  14. #14
    The Lightbringer thunderdragon2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    3,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Beartastic View Post
    I don't see how that's griefing by any means. How do you accidentally flag yourself and get ganked? Griefers are those guys that you see camping PvP realm starting zones for new content while players are trying to level their alts IE: Pandaria starting zones. If you get flagged healing someone that is flagged for PvP, you're knowingly assisting a flagged person. Healbot has a way already to avoid accidental flagging, so I'm not quite sure how difficult it would be for them.
    the cencor on timeless isle dose i ill walk you through

    step 1 uses cencor and get to full hp
    step 2 wait till some1 kills some mobs
    step 3 stand/sit on corpse(s) (works better if ur bit ie smite compass)
    step 4 hope they click u instead of corpse

    once the pplayer clicks the player wiht the cencor on they are flaged for pvp

    edit: just noticed i quoted the wrong person
    Last edited by thunderdragon2; 2014-02-03 at 06:30 PM.

  15. #15
    Grunt shoozadin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    19
    I am really excited for this option to come in to play. I play a healer, and when healing players that are flagged, I know I'm going to get flagged, especially if I get pulled onto a PvP realm when trying to do an ordos group, but what bothers me is when I go back to my alliance dominated realm because someone hit "disband group" before I could get to a safe spot, I get obliterated on my PvE realm simply because I'm flagged.

    I would love an option where players have to choose to engage into PvP on PvE realms. I would also really like a system that would unflag you if you come back to a PvE realm after being on a PvP one.

  16. #16
    I accidentally got flagged yesterday on Timeless Isle, for the first time in years. I was just minding my own business, killing Dread Ship then after the fight I suddenly get Death Gripped by some dude that has 200k more hp than me. Not 100% sure how I got flagged. If I had to guess, I'd blame my Glyph of Mass Exorcism. Even though AoEs like Whirlwind and Blizzard aren't supposed to flag you, I think a chaining type AoE like Exorcism might.

    And yes, I bubble hearthed out of there. #paladinmasterrace
    If Goku's power level increases at the same rate till the end of DBGT as it does till the end of the Frieza saga, as a SS4 Goku would have a PL of roughly 939 Quinoctogintillion. For reference that is a 260 digit number. A PL of 14,600 is required to destroy an earth sized planet. There are about 2 nonillion earths worth of mass in the universe. That means SS4 Goku can destroy the universe about 32 Octosexagintillion times over. There's a reason they made Goku a god at the end of GT.

  17. #17
    1. I play on Hyjal as Horde, and Whisperwind as Alliance. Both are PvE realms, and I enjoy and engage in both PvE and PvP equally.

    2. As far as I was aware, any AoE effect was unable to flag someone if the target was not another player. Smart heals flagging people needs to be fixed immediately if that's happening. As for healing someone you know is flagged, that's 100% on you. Same as with alleged mis-clicks on hostile players.

    3. Chances are if you just sit and wait for a minute, maybe two minutes, the asshole in question will bail and find some other victim. PvP doesn't seem to actually be the problem here, only the enabler. What enables someone to troll/grief you will just keep changing, and the asshole will still be there. The solution is to directly remove the asshole. Report him and encourage others be they victim or not to do the same. Enough reports from unique accounts at least bears investigation.

    4. You're damning anyone with even a fleeting interest in the exclusive mount and pet reward from Bloody Coins to pay $25 for a transfer to a PvP realm or hoping someone can "invite" them to a PvP realm.

  18. #18
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,017
    I'm a huge proponent of PvP on PvP servers, or intended PvP on PvE servers, but come on.

    This is a good change because there are plenty of people who try to abuse the system and frankly do pretty underhanded things to get people flagged on PvE realms. Most of these people want nothing to do with PvP. When people cry about getting killed on timeless isle on my server I tell them to reroll on a fucking PvE server and stop crying, however I would be much more sympathetic to somebody on an actual PvE realm.

    There are plenty of unintended ways to get flagged as is and it's just easier for them to have smarter toggles. Yes there are ways to keep you protected on PvE servers by knowing all the 'rules', but on that type of server it shouldn't be happening anyways.

    You will still get flagged on PvE realms if you go into Alliance/Horde territory as the unintended faction. Pretty sure that's always been the case.

  19. #19
    So how much "griefing" actually happens on a pve realm?

  20. #20
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    23,381
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Thank god. Being able to die, and having to actually run back, was utterly draconian.

    They should just remove death altogether, this isn't 2004 anymore.
    That's not even remotely what this is for. So good job on looking like an ass.


    Uhh no, if you come into my city and try to kill my king, i should be able to mop the floor with your face.
    This wouldn't matter. Once you're in an enemy capital city you are FAIR GAME.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...htsongg/simple https://twitter.com/Aeluron1989

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •