Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Alternate Timeline =/= Time Travel

I personally do not see where this becomes a confusing thing to understand. Garrosh does not go "back in time" he travels to a different timeline entirely.

It's the concept of in one universe you ate some toast went about your day and everything was fine. In another you accidentally had the toast burned or dropped it and being a few seconds late caused you to get into an accident. In another an armed intruder breaks into your house and shoots you in the head before you even wake up to make your toast. It's the concept that there are million if not billions of different "universes" per say and not a single one of them has jack squat to do with one another.

There will be no saving Draenor in this timeline and having something change about our timeline as other than this bridge that is formed to travel back and forth between the two timelines there is nothing that connects them.

10+ Year Old Account
    More like alternate universe. They're doing the Quantum thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except he does albeit in an alternate universe. It's pretty clear time travel is involved when different time periods are mentioned even if it doesn't affect WoW's alpha timeline. The more important question is the one concerning the events that kick off WoD, namely how the hell are we going back to stop the Iron Horde building their own Dark Portal when they already have it built and are invading and we effectively using their own portal to arrive on Draenor?

But he does go back in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Narmar View Post
    I personally do not see where this becomes a confusing thing to understand. Garrosh does not go "back in time" he travels to a different timeline entirely.

It's the concept of in one universe you ate some toast went about your day and everything was fine. In another you accidentally had the toast burned or dropped it and being a few seconds late caused you to get into an accident. In another an armed intruder breaks into your house and shoots you in the head before you even wake up to make your toast. It's the concept that there are million if not billions of different "universes" per say and not a single one of them has jack squat to do with one another.

There will be no saving Draenor in this timeline and having something change about our timeline as other than this bridge that is formed to travel back and forth between the two timelines there is nothing that connects them.
    How can you think it's not time travel?
    If we step through the portal right now we land in Outland, not Draenor (so post explosion), and the same goes for the other timeline.
    If we went through the portal while in the other timeline we should end up in the other timeline's exploded Draenor (post explosion).
    For us to end up in the Draenor (pre-explosion) we would have to go back in time aswell.

And how is traveling to another TIMEline not TIMEtravel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Because we are not going to our Draenor in the past, we are stepping through a portal to an alternate timeline's Draenor in the past. If Garrosh did step through the portal and wind up on our Draenor just following the basic time travel rule of don't screw with anything or you'll majorly screw up present day everything you can plainly see he could not possibly be in our timeline.

Because we are not going to our Draenor in the past, we are stepping through a portal to an alternate timeline's Draenor in the past. If Garrosh did step through the portal and wind up on our Draenor just following the basic time travel rule of don't screw with anything or you'll majorly screw up present day everything you can plainly see he could not possibly be in our timeline.
    Traveling to THE PAST in an alternate timeline still means it involves timetravel. Why aren't you following this?

You misunderstand me in the sense that while yes time travel can be inherently involved it does not mean we are travelling in any form of timeline that immediately impact our timeline as a whole. There is no connection between our time and this Draenor's time other than the Dark Portal which was configured to link the two. If we went to their Draenor with five thousand mana bombs and nuked the entire planet just utterly decimating it it would in no way make outland any better/worse than it is now in our timeline.

- - - Updated - - -

My post was made in reference to the people who think that doing whatever in their draenor will somehow have an impact on what happened to our draenor. That is simply false. The two draenors are in no way linked

- - - Updated - - -

I could have made it more clear my meaning. I just meant that he isn't solely time travelling I suppose, if that were the case just his existence being known back then would have altered history in today's world. He is not in any universe that has any impact on the present day or our universe as far as the history of how things go there.

Deleted
    It's still time travel, only it's down a different line.

Think parallel universes in a way. In one way is the Wow we know and love, then one is where Garrosh has gone back to corrupt it.

It is travelling through time, only it is to a time where it has been twisted a little. I bet once we complete the expansion and maybe kill Garrosh once and for all that the timelines will fix themselves and it's like he never went back in the past in the first place. Coz you know, time and stuff.

Like Bronze dragons would go back in time to fix stuff but as far as we mortals are concerned those events never took place to begin with because they have already been sorted out in the past and no one remembers... how's that?

15+ Year Old Account
    As far as I get it, this whole thing is somewhat complicated and easy to get wrong.
    Thing is, in the past the dark portal was open to the same timeline, just a portal, like a door.
    This time the portal is also some sort of time machine, meaning that it will go back to the same timeline it was set in, meaning that the door this time will necessarily send you to this specific time rather than the one it should be sending you if it was just a normal portal door thing.

Or something like that, I saw a guy who posted a picture explaining it and that made a lot of sense to me and I was really confused at the time. :P

Without a doubt, there is time travel involved in this expansion. It's part of the exposition.

What many people seem to forget is that at the very end of Dragon Soul, Nozdormu used the last of his power as an Aspect to weave all the timeways together, binding them to that exact moment, so that no amount of manipulation of history from any source would ever stop the moment of Deathwing's defeat from ever being undone.

Now, Garrosh goes back in time and stops the Orcs from drinking the Blood of Mannoroth. I'm fairly certain this would prevent the defeat of Deathwing from occurring the exact same way it happened at Dragon Soul, if at all. What likely happened is, to prevent an anomaly, an entire new universe was created as a consequence from Nozdormu and Garrosh's actions. Besides the universe exploding, this is the only logical outcome I can see from this situation.

Time travel created an alternate timeline, basically.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There was time travel. Garrosh (and Kairoz) travelled back in time, and interfered with the drinking of Mannoroth's blood, thereby cresting an alternate universe where the future of the characters is uncertain. It's the same as the Nero/Star Trek problem-he comes through the worm hole into the past, attacks the USS Kelvin, creating an alternate universe where the fate of the young cadets is unknown, but in the main universe we still have the Shatner, Nimoy and Stewart stuff.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

10+ Year Old Account
    The Dark Portal took a great effort to create when Medivh first opened it with Gul'Dan, but the reason why was never fully explained.

Keep in mind that the DP was always called a gateway than spans TIME and space in order to tansport the user to the other end.

What if the Dark Portal was difficult to open not because it was a powerful gateway for armies to pass through indefinitely, but because Medivh had to calibrate the time synchronization to not displace the user in time itself? And that this red portal is the result of a lack of calibration in the chronological syncronization of the gateway?

Remember, this kind of magitech has only existed in small pockets of history, the only two known cases the DP itself and the Naaru vessels and TK satelites, as they warp through dimensions in order to move.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Time Travel is what gets us there so no you're wrong.

From reading the OPs post sounds like he is confused or is trolling... It is time travel... if its not present day derka derkastan and we go somewhere else in a different time.... gee whats that called.... Time Travel. You don't get to hop into an "Alternate Timeline" without Time Travel.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Semantics: Failing to change reality since 1956

Deleted
    The two draenors are in no way linked
    why don´t we just nuke the new dark portal and be done with it? why bother following garrosh and stopping his stupid plan if it would´ve no consequences in our timeline?(if we destroy the portal through which they would invade)

Obviously the time continuum has been disrupted creating this new temporally venced sequence resulting in this alternative reality.
    Garrosh traveled back in time to an Dreanor and changed something in the past. Prior to this point in time...somewhere in the past, the timeline skewed into this tangent, creating an alternate 1985. Alternate to you, me and Azeroth. But reality for everyone else (on Dreanor).
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

The concepts are not mutually exclusive.