Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Protein Powders?

Been working out for a few months now trying to lose weight. Started at 360# and now im down to 330# and I want to start taking a protein and i had some questions about your thoughts or experiences on different proteins that wont break the bank. I was looking at starting on something like Gold standard or Body fortress from walmart. thoughts?

Deleted
    why are you taking protein powders and trying to lose weight?

You only build muscle when you have a calorie surplus, so if you are needing to take protein powders, you wont be losing weight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post

You only build muscle when you have a calorie surplus, so if you are needing to take protein powders, you wont be losing weight.
    thats not necessarily true, i was 280 pounds and used protein throughout the year and lost weight and gained strength. But you only want to take protein as a supplement to your diet, for example if you can't meet your protein goals for the day or are busy and need a small meal. i would suggest protein if you AREN'T getting enough from your diet alone.

Might want to keep in mind that supplements and meal replacements are very different things. What's good for a skinny guy bulking isn't necessarily good for a big dude cutting.

Deleted
    When you lose fat you also lose a bit of muscles, if your diet suck you will lose more muscle mass. Protein is one of the most important things you need when you are losing weight so a protein supplement could be usefull if you dont get enough protein from your diet.
    If you do get enough from your diet there is a chance that it will hinder your progress, a normal serving of protein powder contains ~80kcal.

A good measure for how much protein you need is your bodyweight (in kg) times 2.

Quote Originally Posted by realmature View Post
    questions about your thoughts or experiences on different proteins that wont break the bank.
    If you're in USA, order from ProteinFactory.com, if in Europe - buy from Myprotein.com or Bulkpowders.co.uk. Anything else, especially those "famous" brands are just overpriced money-grab, where you pay for brand and colourful wrapping.
    Life is short Glory is eternal

Sorry, this is rubbish. Don't perpetuate such myths here. Muscle growth occurs anytime you impose enough stress on muscle tissue, under conditions of sufficiently positive nitrogen balance, and when you're far enough from your genetic limit that putting on additional muscle isn't that much more metabolically taxing (additional muscle tissue increases TDEE, something your body will naturally veer away from, unless forced otherwise). A caloric surplus is only conducive to gaining muscle. The point at which it becomes a requirement is something a beginner needn't fret about for his first few years at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by paxx0r View Post
    When you lose fat you also lose a bit of muscles, if your diet suck you will lose more muscle mass.
    It depends on the person's experience, current stats, etc. Unless OP is doing extremely light cardio, I'll be surprised if he doesn't pack on a bit more muscle than he currently has.

Quote Originally Posted by paxx0r View Post
    A good measure for how much protein you need is your bodyweight (in kg) times 2.
    Not unless you're opting to go lower on carbs, in which case you'd need the extra calories from the protein to substitute those of the missing carbs. Otherwise, that kind of protein requirement is easily unnecessary for 90% of people who aren't on anabolic steroids. Especially people who clearly don't hold that much lean mass.
    Last edited by Velaniz; 2014-02-04 at 11:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    In fact, I quite like it and I would consider it an abuse to inflict my child with a foreskin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You don't appear to understand how it works...they don't stick it on when the baby is born.

This isn't even remotely true.

Quote Originally Posted by realmature View Post
    Been working out for a few months now trying to lose weight. Started at 360# and now im down to 330# and I want to start taking a protein and i had some questions about your thoughts or experiences on different proteins that wont break the bank. I was looking at starting on something like Gold standard or Body fortress from walmart. thoughts?
    You didn't provide any specifics on the kind of diet/workout programme you're currently on, so it wouldn't be possible to accurately determine if it'd help you or not. If you do decide to buy it, then I'd suggest getting it online. They tend to be a lot cheaper that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    In fact, I quite like it and I would consider it an abuse to inflict my child with a foreskin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You don't appear to understand how it works...they don't stick it on when the baby is born.

I dropped from 300 to 220 over the last year. What I did was use protein shakes/supplements as snacks and I still do. So I'll do meal-protein-meal-protein-meal.

Depending on how many calories your using in your diet you can mix the protein with milk or with water. As far as each type of protein I use the cheap stuff from walmart, its simply convenient to buy. Really as long as its whey protein its good enough. Keep in mind however that your body can only absorb ~30g of each macro type per serving, so when you see these proteins advertising for 60g per serving its just a bunch of hokum simply half the recommended serving and your right where you need to be.

PS Some of the people saying you can't build muscle are just plan wrong, building muscle is probably the most important part of losing weight and keeping it off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    This isn't even remotely true.
    yes it is. If you are trying to lose weight, you wont get anywhere by using protein powders which are used to bulk up muscle mass.

You can put on a limited amount of muscle whilst losing weight, but not to the extent you need to take protein powders. If you are trying to put on enough muscle to require supplements, you are not going to lose weight as you wont be runnign the necessary calorie deficit to do so.

yes it is. If you are trying to lose weight, you wont get anywhere by using protein powders which are used to bulk up muscle mass.

You can put on a limited amount of muscle whilst losing weight, but not to the extent you need to take protein powders. If you are trying to put on enough muscle to require supplements, you are not going to lose weight as you wont be runnign the necessary calorie deficit to do so.
    I started working out last March, I was 305 pounds. When I first starting squatting I was doing 3x8 @155 on front squats. Today I got 5x5 @295 on front squats. Bench has gone from 5x5 @ 175 to 5x5 @ 260. And I currently weight 220 pounds.

So please don't go spreading rumors that you can't lose weight and put on significant muscle mass because you can. They are not mutually exclusive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by felcommander View Post
    I started working out last March, I was 305 pounds. When I first starting squatting I was doing 3x8 @155 on front squats. Today I got 5x5 @295 on front squats. Bench has gone from 5x5 @ 175 to 5x5 @ 260. And I currently weight 220 pounds.

So please don't go spreading rumors that you can't lose weight and put on significant muscle mass because you can. They are not mutually exclusive.
    meh do what you want, but the guy said he wanted to lose weight. And doing that whilst chugging protein shakes is counter productive, and not very efficient. You can try to do both, but you'll do neither as well as if you did one, and whilst there are exceptions, general rule is dont try to put on muscle mass whilst losing weight, its slow, inefficient and frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by felcommander View Post

Strength and muscle mass aren't quite the same thing. But still, it's not impossible to put on muscle while losing weight, especially if you're not already pretty lean. And even if you're not gaining any muscle, high protein intake also helps prevent you from losing muscle mass in a calorie deficit.

Protein powder doesn't have any particular magical powers though. It's just extra dietary protein, with the calories to match. Personally, I find liquid calories to be unhelpful for weight loss (for hunger reasons), so I'd rather just eat meat while cutting. If that's not an issue, the brand probably doesn't matter a lot, just grab something cheap and not unpleasant to consume.

Deleted
    Before taking supplements be sure the diet is good or it is just a waste of money. How many proteins (grams?)/kcal per day are you eating at the moment?

The main usage of protein powder is given up the energy. Protein powder is more convenient than high-protein foods.
    buy protein powder

Deleted
    Gold Standard 100 % is an excellent source to easy protein however it is expensive compared to other brands. It's a matter of money but if you have a low budget you should definitely find another whey protein. Just compare the stats with Gold Standard and you it should be fine.

I have been taking protein powder for over a years now and I like it. I don't look at it as "the source" to my muscle mass but just an extra thing next to the food I eat. I like the taste and it is a easy way to gain the needed protein after a bad-ass workout.

If you want faster results you should take it. Just don't ever repalce actually food with it. Never.

Deleted

Lost 17kg in 3 months going through 2kg of protein a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Getreuer View Post
    Gold Standard 100 % is an excellent source to easy protein however it is expensive compared to other brands. It's a matter of money but if you have a low budget you should definitely find another whey protein. Just compare the stats with Gold Standard and you it should be fine.
    Maybe it's psychological, but I personally find that I feel better on a casein/whey blend than with just whey. Feels like I just have a bit better recovery that way. I think the science on it is pretty consistent with that impression, but individual variation and preference probably swamps any catch-all advice. Lately, I've been using ON's obnoxiously expensive but very high quality Platinum Hydrobuilder after lift days and speed workouts and I've been really happy with it.

raw green superfood smoothies are better than protein powders imho