Anyone know if any future press events (similar to the one in mid feb) are planned soon? If we are in the midst of press events, there must be more. (And he still considers March likely)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    This should be emphasized. Whenever it releases, it doesn't mean it was behind schedule and they failed.
    Holinka or what not said they're right on schedule anyways didn't they?
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

In retrospect, I think the fact that they built a second PvP season into the game files for 5.4 is an indication that they were planning for the likelihood of another protracted last tier. If they were planning for an April - May release (which many people thought would be the case at the time), it would have been a 7 month final tier and there would have been no reason for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen View Post
    Yeah... That's why they repeatedly stated that they didn't like the length of ICC and DS, so the most obvious target then is to beat ICC in terms of a no-content streak. Makes a lot of sense.
    When was the last time they gave that statement?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Yes. At the Korean Press event.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Yes - but that is an irrelevant comment without the context of what their target release date is or what they consider "on schedule" is. How do we know that September isn't the target release date?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen View Post
    Yeah... That's why they repeatedly stated that they didn't like the length of ICC and DS, so the most obvious target then is to beat ICC in terms of a no-content streak. Makes a lot of sense.
    That is the type of throwaway comment that they have a history of making during interviews. It's the same as how they have been saying they want faster expansions since WoTLK but have yet to deliver on it. Maybe they see the subscription numbers as relatively stable, don't want to release during the summer months and want to line it up for the end of Q3 for financial reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AWWW YOU'RE SUCH A FANBOY.

Although yeah it's kind of true, there's usually a difference between "huh yeah a trademark has been filled and it might be something" and "hey the name of the new expac is that.". I don't feel like looking for the old news but I'm pretty sure the wordings were quite different.

As for the expac beta, we'll see, March can probably still happen without too much problem since we're basically in the phase of "crapton of press tour before people can datamine stuff" and my tiny ears still hint at "soon". Still can't predict random development delays though.

For the time being, you should probably investigate http://i.imgur.com/F1Wbb.jpg (yes I can derail threads it's my site, you can't)
    Just bringing this up to main page and giving my interpretation of this:

1st bold: still believes a March beta is likely.

2nd bold: a phase of a ton of press tours seems to imply more than one and is continuing. (Where are they? This is the largest reason why I think the GDC is important. Only Blizzard press event we know about so far and its in March. )

3rd bold: all this means is basically the same as when Blizzard gives their 2 week end of season warning where it says something like: "its likely to end in 2 weeks". They're just covering themselves in case something goes wrong right at the end.

Anyone know if any future press events (similar to the one in mid feb) are planned soon? If we are in the midst of press events, there must be more. (And he still considers March likely)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    As for the expac beta, we'll see, March can probably still happen without too much problem since we're basically in the phase of "crapton of press tour before people can datamine stuff" and my tiny ears still hint at "soon". Still can't predict random development delays though.
    I really think you're reading into what Boubouille said. Nothing he said implied there would be more press events or even further press information coming out. He said we're "in the phase of" press information coming out before people can datamine stuff.

Current Phase: Receiving Press Info and Blogs
    Next Phase: Beta Begins

At least that's the way I look at it. We're currently in the phase of receiving pre-beta information via press events (which already occured) and some blogs (which we're seeing now). Beta can begin as soon as they feel they've covered the information they feel they need to before people get their hands on it.

Edit: I know Boub didn't mention the blogs, but I feel like they serve some of the same purpose - Devs explaining changes before we see them in beta.

Quote Originally Posted by sajin0084 View Post

Michael Gilmartin (Blizzard Entertainment)
    "Back To The Future of QA" ----------I think his one looks like it could have wod beta info??
    Things like the value of external beta testing versus a strong internal QA team, and automated post release customer assistance are big topics at the moment, I imagine this has more to do with that as the title could be a play on how the old methods of QA are likely the best and are probably the future. Hell, it could be an announcement that there won't be a large beta process this time around.

Whenever Blizzard attends an event many people seem to have this notion they'll announce something. I mean, even when Blizzard goes to Comic Con (which is becoming an annual thing) people speculate that they'll make game announcements at it, when in reality it's just an event they attend to talk about the novels and merchandise really, and any announcements are about their books or merchandise, not the games.

GDC is a game developer event, where they talk about game philosophies and technology. I don't think we should be expecting any announcements or new information about their games to come out of this event. Maybe we'll hear about new technologies they're using, but I wouldn't expect them to make any big announcements about any of their games there.

That's my take on it at least.

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Things like the value of external beta testing versus a strong internal QA team, and automated post release customer assistance are big topics at the moment, I imagine this has more to do with that as the title could be a play on how the old methods of QA are likely the best and are probably the future. Hell, it could be an announcement that there won't be a large beta process this time around.
    I should have said "if there was info at the GDC about beta this is where it could be", but I think it will be announced before it. I don;t consider the GDC to be a press event. It's more for industry people to learn more about what direction the gaming industry is moving and what's happening tech wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhomeli View Post
    I really think you're reading into what Boubouille said. Nothing he said implied there would be more press events or even further press information coming out. He said we're "in the phase of" press information coming out before people can datamine stuff.

Current Phase: Receiving Press Info and Blogs
    Next Phase: Beta Begins

At least that's the way I look at it. We're currently in the phase of receiving pre-beta information via press events (which already occured) and some blogs (which we're seeing now). Beta can begin as soon as they feel they've covered the information they feel they need to before people get their hands on it.

Edit: I know Boub didn't mention the blogs, but I feel like they serve some of the same purpose - Devs explaining changes before we see them in beta.
    Yes, but Bashiok was very specific in saying we don't need the blogs to finish to get beta. You look at the first blog and it didn't cover anything which mattered for start of beta (I guess numbers squish but I'd personally consider that pretty small). The blog that would is if they talk about (and I assume they will have it) is how they will implement TI-like content into WoD's open world.

On the press part I could be reading too much. But I would say my way of reading it is at least plausible.

- - - Updated - - -

Whenever Blizzard attends an event many people seem to have this notion they'll announce something. I mean, even when Blizzard goes to Comic Con (which is becoming an annual thing) people speculate that they'll make game announcements at it, when in reality it's just an event they attend to talk about the novels and merchandise really, and any announcements are about their books or merchandise, not the games.

GDC is a game developer event, where they talk about game philosophies and technology. I don't think we should be expecting any announcements or new information about their games to come out of this event. Maybe we'll hear about new technologies they're using, but I wouldn't expect them to make any big announcements about any of their games there.

That's my take on it at least.
    I don't expect any announcements whatsoever. But if they consider it important to marketing ( I don't know) it could mean something. Riss definitely implied they talked a lot about MoP beta at 2012 (Idk if its true or not)
    Last edited by Krazzorx; 2014-03-03 at 04:14 AM.

Yes, but Bashiok was very specific in saying we don't need the blogs to finish to get beta.

On the press part I could be reading too much. But I would say my way of reading it as at least plausible.
    I'm not trying to dismiss what you said as wrong/implausible. Blizzard may want to wait until after GDC for a variety of reasons. My main point was I don't see GDC as a place where they make announcements or release information on game mechanics. GDC isn't likely to go over specific game changes. It's more about game design philosophies and technologies (as far as I can tell).

I also think that releasing beta after GDC puts beta too close to Reaper of Souls, and, I'll be honest... I don't want to see beta start after Reaper of Souls launches, and I'm optimistic that if Boubouille thought beta could launch in February or March that it means we might see beta begin early March before GDC.

And I agree with what you're saying about the blogs. The blogs before Mists beta began are very similar to the ones we're getting now, and one of the blogs came out a week after Mists beta began.

I don't expect any announcements whatsoever. But if they consider it important to marketing ( I don't know) it could mean something. Riss definitely implied they talked a lot about MoP beta at 2012 (Idk if its true or not)
    My guess is that because they were about to have the big fansite press event one week after GDC 2012, they were pretty open to talking a lot about new Mists information at GDC that year because they were about to release all the information to fansites before beta started anyway.

--- Edit ---

Wow, coming up on page 500!
    Last edited by Dhomeli; 2014-03-03 at 04:21 AM.

I'm not trying to dismiss what you said as wrong/implausible. Blizzard may want to wait until after GDC for a variety of reasons. My main point was I don't see GDC as a place where they make announcements or release information on game mechanics. GDC isn't likely to go over specific game changes. It's more about game design philosophies and technologies (as far as I can tell).

I also think that releasing beta after GDC puts beta too close to Reaper of Souls, and, I'll be honest... I don't want to see beta start after Reaper of Souls launches, and I'm optimistic that if Boubouille thought beta could launch in February or March
    Ofc, my prediction that the GDC means something is predicated on one of multiple ways to interpret Boub, but if it does mean something I imagine that what they go over is exactly the same (or nearly the same) as the info dump. I'm not predicting anything new. I just think that IF the GDC means something, its because Blizz has a checklist of who to hype. They first hyped the fan sites and then the fans (info dump) and then other developers.

I personally don't think beta releasing around RoS would have enough of an impact on Blizzard. Its too small of a niche who it would effect. How many who play RoS care about WoW, care about the beta and of those how many would abandon RoS to watch beta? If anything RoS would effect WoD beta. Now do they care about that? Idk.
    Last edited by Krazzorx; 2014-03-03 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    WoD assets were in one of the recent Battle.net client build, they were then removed a week or two later.
    /confused

Are you talking about :

Battle.net.mpq -> resources/catalog_images/background_wow_wod.jpg
    Battle.net.mpq -> resources/catalog_images/box_wow_wod.png
    Battle.net.mpq -> resources/catalog_images/box_wow_wod_zhCN.png
    Battle.net.mpq -> resources/catalog_images/install_background_wow_wod.jpg
    Battle.net.mpq -> resources/catalog_images/login_bg_wow_wod.png
    Battle.net.mpq -> resources/catalog_images/logo_wow_wod.png
    Battle.net.mpq -> resources/catalog_images/logo_wow_wod_zhCN.png
    Battle.net.mpq -> resources/catalog_images/logo_wow_wod_zhTW.png

They appear to be still there in the Mac OS X battle.net client under :

/Applications/Battle.net.app/Contents/Battle.net.4217/Battle.net.app/Contents/Resources/Battle.net.mpq

Unless of course you were talking about some other resources I've missed and/or a future build of the BDA I don't have access to.

I also re-downloaded the BDA set up installer , deleted the Battle.net.4217 then pointed the setup installer at the BDA app to repair it. In the off case my BDA wasn't updated with the latest.

Same results as above.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bluspacecow View Post
    /confused

Are you talking about :

/Applications/Battle.net.app/Contents/Battle.net.4217/Battle.net.app/Contents/Resources/Battle.net.mpq

Unless of course you were talking about some other resources I've missed and/or a future build of the BDA I don't have access to.

I also re-downloaded the BDA set up installer , deleted the Battle.net.4217 then pointed the setup installer at the BDA app to repair it. In the off case my BDA wasn't updated with the latest.

Same results as above.
    He knows things.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

One last thing on the GDC before I go to bed and last thing on the GDC until we get more info on something: when was the GDC the year Cata beta started and what month did Cata beta start?

Cata beta started Jun 30th, so I don't think it's in the same window.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrel2014 View Post
    Cata beta started Jun 30th, so I don't think it's in the same window.
    Yeah it came out in December. That year was hell for me anyways when the Shattering patch came out.

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Very interesting, how the com can fill another 20 sites without any infos..

Here is something new for you.

06/24 wasnt the date for WoD release.
    Its the beta release date.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by bluspacecow View Post
    /confused

Are you talking about :

Same results as above.
    Can... can someone rip these and post them here, please? ._.