Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Okay! So the list I made up there should be good to go for another couple of years yeah? I'm just getting through all my options here

Quote Originally Posted by ferris View Post
    yes and testing shows that the ud-5 is of higher quality... check it out at toms hardware they did a great review of many of the boards a few months ago... budget boards are budget for a reason. its like saying that a BMW with a 6 cylinder engine will be just as good as a Hyundai with a 6 cylinder engine. how can i make that comparison with out all the fine details or benchmarks.
    You usually link the sources you quote, but whatever. It's you doing the comparison in a vacuum like your example stated. Sure, the UD5 might be able to push 1.35V more stable, but there's no air cooler on the market that handles that outside of de-lidding the chip, so the point is moot.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Quote Originally Posted by Eduro View Post
    Okay! So the list I made up there should be good to go for another couple of years yeah? I'm just getting through all my options here
    ya, again we are all discussing small fractions. your not looking at junk and really that's all that matters.
    | i5 4670k @ 4 Ghz | Saberthooth z87 | 16gb Vengeance RAM @ 1866 Mhz | GTX 760 GPU | Intel 520 SSD | Corsair 600T |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eduro View Post
    Oh okay, so what motherboard would you recommend if I plan on getting another graphics card later on? With the setup I'm having rightn ow
    Don't worry about that, current GPU's won't get chocked by 8x speed.

- - - Updated - - -

yes and testing shows that the ud-5 is of higher quality... check it out at toms hardware they did a great review of many of the boards a few months ago... budget boards are budget for a reason. its like saying that a BMW with a 6 cylinder engine will be just as good as a Hyundai with a 6 cylinder engine. how can i make that comparison with out all the fine details or benchmarks.
    First of all, Hyundai doesn't come with 6 cylinder engines.
    Also a 6cylinder 6 liter engine will mop the floor with 6cylinder 3 liter engine.

Also you are comparing different price ranges, why not compare UD5 to something like Asus SABERTOOTH Z87?
    Last edited by Cyrops; 2014-02-04 at 05:10 PM.
    PM me weird stuff :3

they do... maybe only by 2-3% but never the less benchmarks prove they do... and if you add in the 1x from thunderbolt and the 1x from a wireless card then(this part is a guess because no benchmarks have been done) maybe you lose an few more %s.
    | i5 4670k @ 4 Ghz | Saberthooth z87 | 16gb Vengeance RAM @ 1866 Mhz | GTX 760 GPU | Intel 520 SSD | Corsair 600T |

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of misconceptions here:

@Ferris

1. Performance difference between x8/x8 and x16/x16 is negligible to the extent that it DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD GO FOR A SOCKET 2011 BOARD
    2. Number of power phases is not equal to quality. This is the case even when comparing ASUS Maximus VI Extreme motherboards with competing boards with more phases.
    3. When did he mention using thunderbolt?
    4. When did he mention using a wireless card?

Are we at the point where we can make situations up that the OP didn't mention to make our argument sound better?

5. Congrats. A motherboard that costs $100 more than another one is of higher quality. Cool story.

@OP:

Go with any SLI-supporting motherboard and you'll be fine. Don't worry about 8x/8x vs 16x/16x and don't even worry about the whole "power phase" crap you aren't doing serious hardcore over clocking it seems.
    Gaming Rig: CPU: i7-3770k @ 4.5Ghz | CPU Cooler: H100i | Motherboard: GA-Z77X-D3H | RAM: 2x4GB 1600MHz |GPU: GTX 780 | PSU: Corsair TX750M | Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker | SSD1 (Boot drive): 120GB Kingston | SSD2: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO | HDD: 1TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda | Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Black) | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Audio: Razer Tiamat 7.1 | Monitor: LG IPS234 (1920x1080)

Quote Originally Posted by Ripox View Post
    A lot of misconceptions here:

@Ferris

1. Performance difference between x8/x8 and x16/x16 is negligible to the extent that it DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD GO FOR A SOCKET 2011 BOARD
    2. Number of power phases is not equal to quality. This is the case even when comparing ASUS Maximus VI Extreme motherboards with competing boards with more phases.
    3. When did he mention using thunderbolt?
    4. When did he mention using a wireless card?

Are we at the point where we can make situations up that the OP didn't mention to make our argument sound better?

5. Congrats. A motherboard that costs $100 more than another one is of higher quality. Cool story.

@OP:

Go with any SLI-supporting motherboard and you'll be fine. Don't worry about 8x/8x vs 16x/16x and don't even worry about the whole "power phase" crap you aren't doing serious hardcore over clocking it seems.
    im guessing that you didnt even look at the motherboards he is looking at? they both have thunderbolt and wireless. so if both of these are running he would in reality get 7x, 7x... would this be enough to have a loss in performance i'm not sure. but if according to the testing done by toms hardware running in 8x, 8x yeilds a ~2% loss in performance then running a 7x 7x would yeaild a greater loss in performance. phase power is a sign of quality just as solid 10k capacitors (vs 5k) are a sign of quality.

may main point here is very simple and i feel like your missing it. Quality is a function of many factors you must take into account all these factors to judge an item. iv dealt with many people that ask why spend more on a motherboard those are the same people that come back year after year with failed parts. you want something to last buy quality. best example i can give(this data is from the microcenter i work at)

asus z87-a total sold in January 103, total returned 36
    gigabyte z87-ud5 total sold in January 97, total returned 11
    asus z87 Deluxe - total sold in January 71, total returned 5

those are the facts. now there are many reasons a motherboard can be returned but these numbers do have meaning. This is how i quantify quality and i doubt anyone else can find as high of a sample size.

again im not saying the asus z87-a mobo is bad im just saying is it lower quality

and the reason for "quality"?

do you think your i7-3770k @ 4.5Ghz on a GA-Z77X-D3H (im not making fun of your mobo choice its a really good mobo) will last longer/same/shorter time than the same setup with a GA-Z77X-UD5H? i would wager any amount of money on the ud5 out lasting the ud3... its just simple fact
    Last edited by ferris; 2014-02-04 at 06:19 PM.

im guessing that you didnt even look at the motherboards he is looking at? they both have thunderbolt and wireless. so if both of these are running he would in reality get 7x, 7x... would this be enough to have a loss in performance i'm not sure. but if according to the testing done by toms hardware running in 8x, 8x yeilds a ~2% loss in performance then running a 7x 7x would yeaild a greater loss in performance. phase power is a sign of quality just as solid 10k capacitors (vs 5k) are a sign of quality.
    No, no, it's not. It's like saying that a 1000W PSU is obviously higher quality than a 500W unit because 'it's higher'.

may main point here is very simple and i feel like your missing it. Quality is a function of many factors you must take into account all these factors to judge an item. iv dealt with many people that ask why spend more on a motherboard those are the same people that come back year after year with failed parts. you want something to last buy quality. best example i can give(this data is from the microcenter i work at)
    The point you're making is that buying quality is rewarded, which is indeed true, but let me ask you a question: how do price and quality relate to eachother? Is it a fixed relationship or are there exceptions?

those are the facts. now there are many reasons a motherboard can be returned but these numbers do have meaning. This is how i quantify quality and i doubt anyone else can find as high of a sample size.
    You said it yourself, there's no way of knowing why they were returned. And I'll add another point, a sample size of 100 is completely irrelevant.

do you think your i7-3770k @ 4.5Ghz on a GA-Z77X-D3H (im not making fun of your mobo choice its a really good mobo) will last longer/same/shorter time than the same setup with a GA-Z77X-UD5H? i would wager any amount of money on the ud5 out lasting the ud3... its just simple fact
    You know what the exact reply should be to this question? It's a moot point, because both will last long enough for the system to become outdated and require upgrading anyways. It's like the good old MLC vs TLC debate: sure, MLC lasts ~triple, but with TLC lasting 12 years on a 10GB/day write averageon a 120GB disk, it doesn't really matter.

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

10+ Year Old Account

For returns: those are z87, improper OC'ing can both fry CPU and Mobo, it's nothing to do with build quality (unless you make some sort of indestructable card).

As for your comparison, how can you know which mobo will last longer? There is NO WAY to test that in real life situations, because each chip, be it z77 or 3770k one WILL be different, if even at atomic level.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Okay just a single last check then
    Sapphire Radeon TRI-X R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 1040MHz 765 USD
    Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5 TH, Socket-1150 ATX Haswell 352 USD
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB 540/410MB/s 130 USD
    Kingston DDR3 HyperX Predator 16GB 2133Mhz 240 pin 230 USD
    Intel Core i7-4770K Socket-LGA1150, 3,5GHz 389 USD
    These items should all fit easily into my NZXT phantom big tower right? (Pretty sure it does, just need some more enlightening)

You're getting ripped big time on all those prices. And I don't mean that you probably don't need half the stuff you're buying, but that you're actually buying each thing at at least 50$ more than its market price.
    Last edited by Fluorescent0; 2014-02-05 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    You're getting ripped big time on all those prices. And I don't mean that you probably don't need half the stuff you're buying, but that you're actually buying each things at at least 50$ more than its market price.
    They are normal prices for Sweden, welcome to the wonderful world of 25% VAT.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    They are normal prices for Sweden, welcome to the wonderful world of 25% VAT.
    Oh, didn't notice he was from Sweden. Heh, I live in Italy, and we have a 22% VAT here as well, so I can feel the pain.
    Everything will fit though, indeed.
    Last edited by Fluorescent0; 2014-02-05 at 10:35 PM.

Okay cool Forgot to mention me living in Sweden , it's fairly pricy over here, but hey, as long as it works

- - - Updated - - -

Okay so all the pieces was just ordered, so now it gets to the fun part of putting it all together when it arrives!