Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

When Thok instanteously turns without warning during a kite..

..is it when one drops their fixate with a defensive? I noticed I always got the 2 second cooldowns or so on his 'casting' as a warning but sometimes it just turns and smashes people in an instant.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've only noticed two instances where he does this

- He catches up and eats the kiter, instantly turning around killing any melee attacking him
    - He's LoS-ed. There seems to be a small corner near the front jails, if the kiter moves into these he'll spin around and kill people near him

Could this explain it? or is this just happening out in the open?

Spells that drop combat (threat?) also lets him turn instantly and run 2 secs or smth towards a new target before recasting his fixate. I can only confirm this for Feign Death though

Deleted
    No Raic those are excellent suggestions, it might be like that. And Aletuna, thanks too.

Yeah, I guess that makes him an even more annoying boss for melee.

Not only it's by definition annoying, it also has that surprise thing.

The raised parts around the middle of the room also cause him to spin when he moves over them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yindoo View Post
    Feign Death, N811 Vanish, Vanish, Invis or a simple death reset his fixate.
    If anyone in your raid uses these abilities during that phase, they are idiots. They are then intentionally asking to wipe. If this was in LFR well then it's normal to be surrounded by stupidity.

also for the most part melee shouldn't even be on thok for that exact reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlepinch View Post
    If anyone in your raid uses these abilities during that phase, they are idiots. They are then intentionally asking to wipe. If this was in LFR well then it's normal to be surrounded by stupidity.

Not if the kite was slightly messed up in terms of positioning and running to the very edge of the room isn't far enough and you would otherwise get chomped.

Except if its heroic and you are going for your first kill. Why do normal raiders comment?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khorm View Post
    Except if its heroic and you are going for your first kill. Why do normal raiders comment?
    Why do some heroic raiders feel that they should make a elitist comment's like this, instead of explaining that its a heroic encounter that's being talked about, And considering the OP never stated which difficulty was being discussed asking why the melee are on the boss during the fixate phase is a perfectly reasonable question.
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2014-02-05 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Why do some heroic raiders feel that they should make a elitist comment's like this, instead of explaining that its a heroic encounter that's being talked about, And considering the OP never stated which difficulty was being discussed asking why the melee are on the boss during the fixate phase is a perfectly reasonable question.
    I don't feel like doing anything until I see someone post a comment like that. The thing you'll see is that Normal raiders post the most amount of 'elitist' comments while heroic raiders are content to go about their business. I see it all the time in flex runs, normal raiders talking shit over guys who just do flex. They're the ones asking for 550+ ilvls for flex 1 while Heroic raiders know you can do the first 4 bosses in heroic at 540.

Anyway it happened yesterday to me in H Thok. It happened after he finished the 2nd fixate and he didn't pick a target straight away so I am assuming there is some code lag or something that happens sometimes and it only takes half a second and you are all dead.

Its called 'fuck melee'. Total random crap.

The three situations I've experienced:

1. Someone uses feign, vanish, guise, invis, etc. to drop combat while fixated. This makes Thok's fixate reset and turn to the player with highest threat before starting his next fixate. Typically this means he turns his head into the raid.
    2. The person fixated dies from anything. Doesn't matter if they get caught by Thok, die to raid damage, etc. If they die mid fixate he sometimes turns to the highest person on threat before starting a new fixate.
    3. Very rarely he will hit a pathing issue on the grate causing him to slightly change his angle. This is super rare and minor, I'd assume one of the above two reasons was the culprit.
    Twitter

RIP Summon Stone - Resto Druid Guide Relocated to Wowhead!

10+ Year Old Account
    it was not stated anywhere that it was asking about heroic. Why is my normal raiding experience not valid? does thok not count if it's not on heroic?

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, can we pretty please stop with the normal vs heroic stuff? If you have helpful information to contribute, please do. If your information is only relevant on one difficulty, you can state as much but we don't need to flame each other over it.

Thank you

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

does thok not count if it's not on heroic?
    How did you know :O
    im just kidding

All joking aside, above post has a point about elitest comments. Im a herioc raider, im not saying every heroic raider doesn't make elitest remarks but i see far more normal mode raiders acting better then people than i do heroic raiding on a daily basis.

Also on a honest answer, your answer could be considered wrong because it wasnt listed as a normal mode (or rather isnt how some people do it) - even in normal mode we have melee dps'ing during the kite phase once the jailer is dead at least.
    This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
    Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Or you could just not have a fixate phase for normal
    Jokes aside, putting melee on thok's arse for heroic is perfectly normal. People just need to know not to use skills that trigger the sudden spin.

Probably due to either target drops (Vanish, Smeld, Feign, Guise..ect) or fixate target deaths. Shouldn't happen either way unless you specifically intend for it.

Even during heroic progression on Thok, it happens that 5 or 6 melee drop because some mage decided invis is a good idea...
    And to the people asking why melee are on Thok during the fixate phase, besides needing the DPS on heroic, it seems that if you are within roughly 20yards of Thok, you'll be lowest prio for his next fixate target. i stick to Thok until he either gets too fast or I run out of speed boosts, not once have I gotten fixated.

Deleted
    We never have any melee run after Thok during fixates, we have them killing jailer and ranged nuke Thok. This was in Progress too.

We did not do this for our first kill. You don't need to do this on heroic.