Poll: Recount of Skada

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Resike View Post
    Never saw good damage meter addon in this game. Thats weird Blizzard didn't ripped off Recount/Skada and made a built in damage meter yet.
    I remember reading that the developers didn't want to bless the elitist attitudes around them, or codify that into being the "right" way of measuring performance, implicitly. Which seems reasonable to me, even if I can't find a citation right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SlippyCheeze View Post
    I remember reading that the developers didn't want to bless the elitist attitudes around them, or codify that into being the "right" way of measuring performance, implicitly. Which seems reasonable to me, even if I can't find a citation right now.
    How else can you measure the value of a dps class then, specially when a boss needs x dps to kill it, then you should pick the one who can do more dps on that fight environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Resike View Post
    How else can you measure the value of a dps class then, specially when a boss needs x dps to kill it, then you should pick the one who can do more dps on that fight environment.
    The problem being that in-game dps meters are very limited, and many players are judged from the bare minimum amount of information, a dps number.
    If players would use their brains and see the meter is an information tool rather than a means of ranking players then blizzard might change their stance.

There are too many random factors to say for certain that x amount of dps is a representative indicator of their performance on a given encounter.
    Also there have been opportunities in some encounters to pad that number in a way that is detrimental.
    As long as those simplistic measures continue to be abused by narrow-minded individuals then blizzard will be reluctant to add them in as baseline.

Blizzard are protecting us from ourselves in effect.
    The value of any member is more than their ranking on a meter.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-02-06 at 06:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    The problem being that in-game dps meters are very limited, and many players are judged from the bare minimum amount of information, a dps number.
    If players would use their brains and see the meter is an information tool rather than a means of ranking players then blizzard might change their stance.
    This. It isn't that DPS meters have no value, or that they can't be useful. The suggestion was that the developers saw putting one in game as saying (to the subset of bad players who would read it that way), "the DPS meter is the one and only measure of player worth".

You, Resike, are not bad. You know that, say, being on the engineer on garrosh will kill your DPS and push you down the meter, so those low numbers reflect a critical, "wipe if you don't do it", job being done right. Bad players would be, all, "lolol kick the hunter with low dps because blizzard meter!!!11!" and all.

Plus, you already have the meters. They make it entirely possible to measure this, just not an "official" thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by espoire View Post
    Just tried out Skada for the first time in years. Everything is nicer and more customizable except the death log, which is harder to read.
    I use deathnote with it, better than recounts imo

Recount, because skada took forever to recognize fire elemental damage appropriately.

10+ Year Old Account
    A while back I had some lag whenever I entered combat. Went down to 1-2 fps. Luckily, it was after a new patch and I was on the target dummy to check out the changes.
    I started to research the problem, turning off every addon and turning on one after one.
    After a bit I found the source of the issue: Recount.
    I've heard about Skada, but didn't bother since Recount worked fine. After that I got Skada and haven't looked back.

The main reason why I will never go away from Skada is the multiple windows option. If you still use Omen, you don't have to. You can just make a threat window.
    Track damage done, healing done and threat with one addon saves some memory. The fact that Skada is so light weight is beyond me with my multiple windows, where the one window with Recount lagged me out.
    Fog the Proven Assailant
    <The Internet People>
    Stormrage EU
    Stream Twitter WeakAuras - discontinued

Hmm....maybe it is time I switch to Skada.... my computer is pretty much a toaster, and it can use all the help it can get when it comes to my framerates.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fog View Post
    A while back I had some lag whenever I entered combat. Went down to 1-2 fps. Luckily, it was after a new patch and I was on the target dummy to check out the changes.
    I started to research the problem, turning off every addon and turning on one after one.
    After a bit I found the source of the issue: Recount.
    Recount always does that if it is out of date. Updating recount would have also fixed your problem the same way downloading an updated version of skada did.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    Recount always does that if it is out of date. Updating recount would have also fixed your problem the same way downloading an updated version of skada did.
    A number of people have said that recently: that recount causes enormous frame rate loss if it is out of date, and it has to be updated with each patch.

I have no idea why that would be; can you explain what the underlying cause of that problem is?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been Skada for a long time, I love having both a Damage done window (eww for people that just do dps) and having a healing done window.

Quote Originally Posted by SlippyCheeze View Post
    A number of people have said that recently: that recount causes enormous frame rate loss if it is out of date, and it has to be updated with each patch.

I have no idea why that would be; can you explain what the underlying cause of that problem is?
    The issue is primarily blizzard.
    The combat log which such addons read their information from has a specific format, and that is what those addons are coded to expect.
    There seems to be this habit that with live patches, and not even on the PTR prior, that changes are made to the combat log format at the last minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Torchler View Post
    http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/details/

This is starting to look more and more impressive with each version.
    I've pretty much fully switched from Recount to Details! The reason I don't use Skada is it doesn't give me a few analytic type things I need as a raid leader (such as who interrupted what). It uses far less CPU than recount (on the level of Skada I'm guessing) while doing way more.