Deleted

Shipping Computer

Hi guys!

Been struggling with this one. In a couple of months I'm to be relocating back to the UK and trying to work out a cost efficient method of moving my PC and monitor home. Anyone here with any experience or advice?

Shipping companies would appear to charge astronomical rates for the service even if done by land / sea.

Would it be acceptable to my components if I were to disassemble the machine and package them securely in a box and place them in with the rest of my clothing and bring with me on the plain? I know I could get send the monitor with this method but graphics card and motherboard are what concern me (static - and where I am currently it would not be a simple to acquire anti-static bags).

Thanks for any advice!

10+ Year Old Account
    When I moved from Germany to the USA in 2001 I simply put my tower into my suitcase and put my clothes around it. Even with it not arriving on time (sent with a different plane I guess) and then being left on the frontporch overnight it survived the trip without troubles.
    "Reality: The refuge of those who fail in RPGs"
    ~Though this be madness, yet there is method in't~

Quote Originally Posted by Rob D View Post
    When I moved from Germany to the USA in 2001 I simply put my tower into my suitcase and put my clothes around it. Even with it not arriving on time (sent with a different plane I guess) and then being left on the frontporch overnight it survived the trip without troubles.
    I've never thought about this method, but putting a PC in a suitcase and then checking that suitcase might be the most affordable way of transporting a PC internationally, assuming you can get it through customers okay.

Barring that, you could potentially disassemble the PC, wrap the static sensitive components in anti-static bags, pack them securely, and then ship them individually.

Yea anti-static bags are probably the 2nd easiest (suit case being the easiest). Just remember you only need the expensive parts so leave the tower behind.

10+ Year Old Account
    i would remove the GPU and and CPU heatsink towers if you are going to take it on a plane, baggage handlers give no fucks

also, try looking into pelican cases

Deleted
    Thanks a lot guys!

Will indeed be disassembling and putting in a suitcase, find a new case. Will just need to find a couple of anti-static bags.

I did this in a suitcase. Just make sure to disassemble and remove the heavy parts such as CPU Heatsink and Fan and perhaps even the PSU. Pop all components in anti-static bags and you're sorted! good luck with your move back.

Deleted
    Don't forget some of it can most likely fit in your carry on, just make sure it's easy to get to as customs will have to check it.