10+ Year Old Account

Shadow professions (primarily pvp)

Hey.

I'm playing an ud shadow priest and looking to change my professions for pvp. As horde I can/will not play with double dps trinkets, so I feel that I either should go with on use trinket+tailoring or proc trinket+engineering for some big burst potential.

For my second profession I'm thinking blacksmithing for some freedom of stat choice, perhaps we can reach some sweet breakpoints next season.

Which two professions do you feel would be #1 as a pvping ud spriest?

Thanks!

Best one is Engi/BS

2nd best would be Engi/JC
    You don't like proccs since generally in arena you're gonna get trained...you want to put all your hopes into your 3orb DP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoulis View Post
    Best one is Engi/BS

2nd best would be Engi/JC
    You don't like proccs since generally in arena you're gonna get trained...you want to put all your hopes into your 3orb DP.
    Thanks for the reply.

Engineering and on use trinket can't be used at the same time though, which is why I'm thinking tailoring > enginnering combined with on use. And imo JC should be one of the absolute worst at it's current state, any of the pure int ones should be better. Definately agree about BS though.

Deleted
    Tailoring is also a good choice, as you gain 2000 int proc (melee gain 2000 attack power). I'd say Tailoring/Engi is your best combo. (JC is good but most Spriests gem haste)

I would say either tailoring or engineering + blacksmithing is the best. Blacksmithing is basically the best for everybody. Engineering with the pvp proc trinket is very nice. For only an 80 int cost, you can activate your bonus with your proc trinket at will with engineering instead of a tiny more int and 15 seconds with an icd giving you a random time when the stars align.
    Last edited by Kretan; 2014-02-05 at 05:35 AM.

Deleted
    What about Herb + Engi?

Lifeblood - 2880 Haste (only prob is 2min cd (but allignes with Power Infusion if you choose to use that talent))
    Synapse Springs - 1920 Int
    On use trink - 3670 Int

Seems to be a very good macro for a Shadow Priest and would give that extra on demand burst the the spec need

Dont know rly just giving me insight ;P

For horde engineering and tailoring are best for pvp by a mile

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SetoD View Post
    What about Herb + Engi?

Lifeblood - 2880 Haste (only prob is 2min cd (but allignes with Power Infusion if you choose to use that talent))
    On use trink - 3670 Int

Seems to be a very good macro for a Shadow Priest and would give that extra on demand burst the the spec need

I would love to have herb on my SP. It's such a fun profession, I used to do a lot of herb gathering and world pvp (since I would be farming herbs). But it's not a good option. Compared to others, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by stickyjam View Post
    For horde engineering and tailoring are best for pvp by a mile
    I think that this combination definitely has the highest potential when things align. The only downside is getting 2 procs to align between the trinket and cloak enchant, but when they do the damage would be incredible.

Haven't been on for some time sorry it took me so long to reply :P
    I see where you're coming from but... you're gonna be using the procc trinket. But just cause there is no other choice...
    The way I see it proccs really mean nothing for an SP in arena... It's nice if you have one up along with your DP but
    1) You can't actually burst according to when your procc...proccs(?) since you're getting trained... You can only burst with procc if you're lucky and you have it up when your 3 orbs are up
    2) People are gonna be on your ass all day. You can't really delay your burst for too long waiting for the procc ... YOu need all the pressure you can get as an Spriest... I'd only delay my 3orb DP to align with my partners CDs... If that aligns with my procc also so be it it's nice :P

Now about the tailoring vs JC ...
    Your goal is to get 10.xxx haste ( can't remember the exact number ). I've gone for 2 pure haste gems from JC and worked around them to get the haste cap and all the other stats.
    I just dislike proccs in arena in general :P
    But i'd go with tailoring ~= JC. personal prefferance imo :P

Nonetheless Engi/BS is by miles the best combo

Quote Originally Posted by Zoulis View Post
    Haven't been on for some time sorry it took me so long to reply :P
    I see where you're coming from but... you're gonna be using the procc trinket. But just cause there is no other choice...
    The way I see it proccs really mean nothing for an SP in arena... It's nice if you have one up along with your DP but
    1) You can't actually burst according to when your procc...proccs(?) since you're getting trained... You can only burst with procc if you're lucky and you have it up when your 3 orbs are up
    2) People are gonna be on your ass all day. You can't really delay your burst for too long waiting for the procc ... YOu need all the pressure you can get as an Spriest... I'd only delay my 3orb DP to align with my partners CDs... If that aligns with my procc also so be it it's nice :P

Now about the tailoring vs JC ...
    Your goal is to get 10.xxx haste ( can't remember the exact number ). I've gone for 2 pure haste gems from JC and worked around them to get the haste cap and all the other stats.
    I just dislike proccs in arena in general :P
    But i'd go with tailoring ~= JC. personal prefferance imo :P

Nonetheless Engi/BS is by miles the best combo

Erm no, engi/tailoring is....

Tailoring aligning is the difference between getting those 100k+ devouring plague crits

Tailoring is up 15 seconds with 45 second ICD. its actually AMAZING.

Well you're prolly right
    I just feel like i'd rather have the actual baseline stats than relying on proccs. But that's just me :P

Quote Originally Posted by stickyjam View Post
    Erm no, engi/tailoring is....

Tailoring aligning is the difference between getting those 100k+ devouring plague crits

Tailoring is up 15 seconds with 45 second ICD. its actually AMAZING.
    While the highest potential, getting the cloak and proc trinket to line up on top of lining it up to make sense in an arena match is just a nightmare. Either way, this isn't PVE. Skill is going to outweigh the minor benefits of these by so much its not even funny. I've seen people without professions at 2400.....

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to take this back. I changed out BS for tailoring today to try tailoring/engineering out before next season. With a little bit of gaming and ICD watching, you can get these to line up almost every single time. The damage benefit is absolutely insane. It is tailoring/engineering, and there is no arguing that as the best professions for pvp shadow. Blacksmithing is good, but tailoring + trinket + synapse is incredible.

Tailoring/Engineering is hands down the best, nothing else is even close.

Engineering is almost mandatory on all DPS because it allows you to use the proc trinket and also have the on use on your gloves, which is crazy good. Tailoring is amazing for casters, significantly better than any other option for damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever you choose for PVE/PVP, it will include Engineering.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    Whatever you choose for PVE/PVP, it will include Engineering.
    Not always. If you use double dps trinkets for pvp you don't really want engineering at the same time as they share a CD. You would be better off going tailoring + BS. BS allows use of yellow gems for extra secondary stats which are better than primary stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiroth View Post
    Not always. If you use double dps trinkets for pvp you don't really want engineering at the same time as they share a CD. You would be better off going tailoring + BS. BS allows use of yellow gems for extra secondary stats which are better than primary stats.
    Well they don't really share a CD, you just can't pop them both at the same time. You can however pop them back to back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the replies people.

I think I'll be going with tailoring/engineering together with proc trinket for the new season. If just one proc is up, it should allow for some pretty decent burst.

Quote Originally Posted by meekus View Post
    Thanks for all the replies people.

I think I'll be going with tailoring/engineering together with proc trinket for the new season. If just one proc is up, it should allow for some pretty decent burst.
    Yeah the burst with all procs is simply insane. I am gemming to 10.1k haste breakpoint then favoring int gems. I just got out of a bg where I hit this dude for a 101k mind spike and a 113k plague.

Quote Originally Posted by SetoD View Post
    What about Herb + Engi?

On use trink - 3670 Int

Macro and Springs have a ~~10 seconds CD. Can't macro those together. Rerolling Spriest until the end of xpack at least for fun and i'm going Tailoring/Engi. Seems like the most reliable combo.