Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Auto learn of flight paths removed, did u learn them manually on your alts?

This goes to my personal top 10 of useless changes in WoW. I made like ~4 alts after they removed auto learn of flight paths, and never cared to re-visited old content.

I even remember it being an intentional change back in Cata, patch notes mentioned it. After people got used to it, they removed it and called it a bug, which was never intended.

I did not learn them manually on any new alts. If I pass by one while questing, I'll grab it, but I have exactly 0 interest in going back and learning old FPs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    I did not learn them manually on any new alts. If I pass by one while questing, I'll grab it, but I have exactly 0 interest in going back and learning old FPs.
    Same for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I was lucky enough to get them on my main and 1 alt. But I won't be going back for them on any other alts. If I happen to see one I will grab it.

I never bother going to pick up old flight paths. It's painfully obvious on characters that have barely visited the other continent (shame on me for using the since Cata optimized questing layout that encourage me to stay on one continent right?). Still doesn't motivate me to grab them though, just a minor annoyance at best.

The existence of having to learn FPs always baffled me, outside of level restrictions anyways. The taxi mount doesn't know the way? Your character is horrible at geography? The taxi service provider is too much of a dick to tell you what place you can fly to? But that's bothered me since classic, and I can't imagine them changing their stance again.
    Last edited by tehpwner; 2014-02-05 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tehpwner View Post
    The existence of having to learn FPs always baffled me, outside of level restrictions anyways. The taxi mount doesn't know the way? Your character is horrible at geography? The taxi service provider is too much of a dick to tell you what place you can fly to?

Classic funny.

You: Hey, where do fly to?
    Flight Master: Can't say
    You: Huh? Why not? Don't you know where you can fly?
    You: Listen! I need to get somewhere and I would like for to show me if you fly there!
    Flight Master: Till you walk/ride there on the ground I can't tell you where we can fly.
    You: Well wasn't this a complete waste of my time, thanks Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by slummish
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

Quote Originally Posted by Shinaniganz View Post
    Classic funny.

You: Listen! I need to get somewhere and I would like for to show me if you fly there!
    Flight Master: Till you walk/ride there on the ground I can't tell you where we can fly.
    I just assume they have virtually no short-term memory and must be retaught coordinates on-the-fly and if the bird/manticore/kite can tell if you're lying.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

It enhances immersion! It's just like real life, where an airport won't let you fly to a city unless you've driven there yourself before.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    It enhances immersion! It's just like real life, where an airport won't let you fly to a city unless you've driven there yourself before.

FCK immersion. Dunno, every alt since this change I'm leveling throught LFD, dont bother doing quests since you outlvl them so fast, that running to the next zone would take more time than sitting afk, waiting for your invite.

Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    FCK immersion. Dunno, every alt since this change I'm leveling throught LFD, dont bother doing quests since you outlvl them so fast, that running to the next zone would take more time than sitting afk, waiting for your invite.
    Now that you mention it, that's a big part of it too for me too. If I actually do dungeons instead of quests I find myself too far ahead of the curve for my current quests, and CBA to run collecting FPs when I can just queue for more dungeons at that point. Have a few 40ish characters stranded like that iirc, not that I need more alts anyways

How many people actually use flight paths though, even when leveling up? Besides some of the main ones, such as a particular capital and booty bay, just to name a few, you just grab a few on the way by riding and you're set.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinaniganz View Post
    Classic funny.

I always thought of it as you simply rented the gryphon from the Flight Master, and since you know where it is, just fly yourself there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never went to get the old FPs on alts. I would get it if I passed it, but I zoomed to max level as fast as I could so I could just fly everywhere.

I was never a big fan of mindlessly flying to random locations, so learning FPs were no big deal to me. With the way questing is laid out now, you go from one FP to the next one, and they are pretty close by 95% of the time. So riding to them is no big deal. And once you fly....who needs FPs?

That being said, I don't see a reason to "re-learn" them on alts. If someone wants to fly around on FPs to random locations....why not let them? Finding the same FP a second or third time does not create any immersion imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticj View Post
    I always thought of it as you simply rented the gryphon from the Flight Master, and since you know where it is, just fly yourself there.
    That actually makes a lot of sense

Like everyone with common sense, I just queue for dungeons and battlegrounds since the change. The excitement of exploration is gone for me after the first visit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I leveled almost all of my alts back when you had to manually learn them all so, yes, I went and picked them up. I did level one or two during the brief period that we got them all automatically, and that was nice too. I think my monk is the only character I've leveled since the reversal.

To be fair, I don't remember ever seeing it in the patch notes that it was supposed to be intentional that we got them all automatically (aside from DKs), but it was a little weird that they waited almost a whole expansion to revert the change.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. There's really no point to doing it because you can level by dungeons and BGs alone and then once you're capped there's rarely a reason to go out into the old world. They never should have reverted the change in cata.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    Pretty much. I grab all of Pandaria's because I'm a lazy shit but I have no need to go back and pick up every single Azeroth, Outland and Northrend FP when I can level 15-80 without even leaving Org/SW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Flight paths seem pretty pointless because of leveling with super sonic speed and flying mounts. I don't bother picking them up...