Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
... LastLast
  1. #61
    This kind of stuff really annoys me -- and it frightens me, too. Whenever a company etc put out all of this extra content (cosmetic or otherwise) that's exclusive to pre-orders or collectors editions, this says to me;

    1) We lack so much confidence that this will do well, we're gonna try and rake in as much money as we can before launch;
    2) If we can generate more profit than we have forecast, then it's all good.

    It's like SWTOR. Within the first month the game was released, EA had generated more profit than they wanted. After that? Pfft, they couldn't care less; they've already made what they wanted.

    Same thing goes for Elder Scrolls. A full retail game with a subscription fee that is now trying to goad people into pre-orders and "Imperial Editions" by handing out in-game benefits and items. I mean, seriously? If I want to play as an Imperial I need to buy the Imperial Edition for £120 or your regional equivalent? And whose bright idea was it that, as a pre-order bonus, you can role any race under any faction? That defeats the WHOLE POINT of having factions to begin with. Can't wait to see a fucking Nord in my Aldmeri Dominion...

    I have never wanted a game to fail so hard until now. And that upsets me because I had real high hopes for this game, but now they're butchering it with obligatory pay walls and other stupid benefits just to rake in the early money.

  2. #62
    They are going to make most of their money with initial sales, that's why it's priced so high. So even if the game turns out to be garbage and many people unsub within the first few months they'll still walk away having earned a lot of money.

  3. #63
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    16,923
    I didn't buy that CE, but I have recently purchased the Starcraft 2 heart of the swarm CE for 35 Euros, although I donÄt play the game. However I think the artbook, making of, Audio CD, mousepad, wow pet, etc is already totally worth the money.

    Actually..what makes me sick is people judging others why and how they spend their money. It is my money, I earned it. I work 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week. Would you like me to judge you because you might be spending your money on overpriced fashion or "hip" drinks or whatever I consider a rip off?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Unf View Post

    I got that same turtle for free in raptor heh
    don't know what that is but I rocked out on my turtle for a few months before getting burnt out on MMO's entirely for 6 months.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldNSilence View Post
    They are going to make most of their money with initial sales, that's why it's priced so high. So even if the game turns out to be garbage and many people unsub within the first few months they'll still walk away having earned a lot of money.
    You are grossly underestimating how much MMOs cost to develop and maintain.

  6. #66
    The clueless commentary from the shortsighted peanut gallery is getting to me.

    It absolutely, 100%, affects all of us. Because monetary success resulting from this kind of money grabbing, exploitative bullshit propagates it throughout the industry. Gamers should all look in the mirror when deciding who to blame for why video game companies adopt shitty practices like DLC and extensive cash shops, or the fact that they all release the same game every year in a shiny new wrapping, causing most genres to stagnate due to a lack of new, unique, or interesting titles or gameplay.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    It absolutely, 100%, affects all of us. Because monetary success resulting from this kind of money grabbing, exploitative bullshit propagates it throughout the industry.
    I agree, it is pretty much like paid Alpha's from multi-billion corporations (see Everquest Next Landmark).

  8. #68
    Grunt Acknowledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    HDMS Absalon's Strip Club
    Posts
    23
    It is beyond me why people now a days are so stupid.
    I've said this about 13 times already and I'll say it again.
    This MMoRPG will be a failure.
    I said the same thing about Aion, Warhammer Online, Allods Online, Runes of Magic, Star Wars: The Old Republic, LoTRO and so many others.
    Anyone with a brain knows that the age of MMoRPG for now is over. World of WarCraft will stay at least 5 million strong until Blizzard comes out with project 'Titan' and is like: "B*tches, let us show you how a real Next-Gen MMo plays."
    What do you call a woman with one leg?
    - Ilene

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Acknowledge View Post
    It is beyond me why people now a days are so stupid.
    I've said this about 13 times already and I'll say it again.
    This MMoRPG will be a failure.
    I said the same thing about Aion, Warhammer Online, Allods Online, Runes of Magic, Star Wars: The Old Republic, LoTRO and so many others.
    Anyone with a brain knows that the age of MMoRPG for now is over. World of WarCraft will stay at least 5 million strong until Blizzard comes out with project 'Titan' and is like: "B*tches, let us show you how a real Next-Gen MMo plays."
    Because people disagree, they are stupid?

    Swtor isnt a failure. The P2P did fail, but their hybrid business model now (Sub + f2p with restrictions) is very profitable, I would call it a success.

    I think ESO will be a great MMO; it might end up switching to the swtor model, or the Rift model.. but it wont "fail".

  10. #70
    The Lightbringer Dewote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Acknowledge View Post
    It is beyond me why people now a days are so stupid.
    I've said this about 13 times already and I'll say it again.
    This MMoRPG will be a failure.
    I said the same thing about Aion, Warhammer Online, Allods Online, Runes of Magic, Star Wars: The Old Republic, LoTRO and so many others.
    Anyone with a brain knows that the age of MMoRPG for now is over. World of WarCraft will stay at least 5 million strong until Blizzard comes out with project 'Titan' and is like: "B*tches, let us show you how a real Next-Gen MMo plays."
    And what if it will be "a failure"? Does that mean people are not allowed to play it?
    I don't understand the "vs WoW" attitude which always pops up.
    Last edited by Dewote; 2014-02-05 at 06:59 PM.
    FC 2793-2016-8218 - Name: Suoma

  11. #71
    I am Murloc! Tommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    5,965
    Its overpriced for a sub based game thats for damn sure.

    Im pretty miffed at the fact they are limiting features to the imperial edition only, Bethesda is a company ive always had some faith in when it came to games, sadly thats been lost on Elder Scrolls MMO.

    Im hoping the beta weekend is soooo fantastic that this will be a worthwhile investment, but MMO's havent been all that good lately.

  12. #72
    Legendary!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    123 Nowhere, Imagination land USA
    Posts
    6,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    Soo many king od rape followers. But oh well.

    Anyway, it's all because of the imperial race and few bonuses, zenimax must be hppy, their money milking has started insanelly well. People are seriously sheeps that will mindlessly follow. It's sad.
    why do i get the feeling that you believe that buying this game supports rape?
    You're a fine example of how gamer communities have become infested with endlessly whining and bitching, arrogant, opinionated, unreasonable, all the way immature, completely delusional, tendentially psychotic, insulting individuals one really doesn't want to be linked with. And playing with you guys is certainly no fun at all. I don't know where this kind of folks spawns from. Must be a nest somewhere ...
    A fine summarization of the community

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Acknowledge View Post
    It is beyond me why people now a days are so stupid.
    I've said this about 13 times already and I'll say it again.
    This MMoRPG will be a failure.
    I said the same thing about Aion, Warhammer Online, Allods Online, Runes of Magic, Star Wars: The Old Republic, LoTRO and so many others.
    Anyone with a brain knows that the age of MMoRPG for now is over. World of WarCraft will stay at least 5 million strong until Blizzard comes out with project 'Titan' and is like: "B*tches, let us show you how a real Next-Gen MMo plays."
    With the way you're listting off games I half expected to see Eve, runescape, and rift in the mix and other games still putting out updates with an active playerbase.. Good call on warhammer though?

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I didn't buy that CE, but I have recently purchased the Starcraft 2 heart of the swarm CE for 35 Euros, although I donÄt play the game. However I think the artbook, making of, Audio CD, mousepad, wow pet, etc is already totally worth the money.

    Actually..what makes me sick is people judging others why and how they spend their money. It is my money, I earned it. I work 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week. Would you like me to judge you because you might be spending your money on overpriced fashion or "hip" drinks or whatever I consider a rip off?
    If gating content/races on a new ip release becomes a success trend, then the next mmo will adopt the same business model and so on. Which means you get less stuff every time for the same money. What's stopping the next mmo to paywall 2 races, a class and a zone on release? Do you really not see the big picture? Or do you want me to take the puppets out?

    Couldn't care less what you do with your money. The complaint it's about the developers choices, not your choice. What is the point of blaming a sheep?
    Last edited by nmarg85; 2014-02-05 at 07:14 PM.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal89 View Post
    It's their money let them pay for overpriced garbage if they want to. You can't find logic behind the actions of hardcore fans. I think the last special edition game I bought was Halo 2 years ago. It's never worth the money and what you want is the game anyways. That said who cares what people do with their money, if they want to spend it on that stuff that's their problem. I don't see how this affects you OP, it's not like it's the first MMO to release an overpriced special edition *cough* WoW+Expacs *cough*.
    i know i know. i just hate this trend of unfinished, unpolished, overhyped games which you are forced to buy because of fluffy bonuses. Rome 2 recently for example... or fu**ing mass effect 3 - day one prothean DLC sure bro. GIVE US MONEY
    Last edited by Endus; Today at 10:40 PM. Reason: Editing to change questionable phrasing to adorable puppies

    Quote Originally Posted by xBreak View Post
    This post was almost as bad as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    The clueless commentary from the shortsighted peanut gallery is getting to me.
    My youtube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/Krystafal

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Naposim1337 View Post
    or fu**ing mass effect 3 - day one prothean DLC sure bro.
    Did you buy that? Be honest.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I didn't buy that CE, but I have recently purchased the Starcraft 2 heart of the swarm CE for 35 Euros, although I donÄt play the game. However I think the artbook, making of, Audio CD, mousepad, wow pet, etc is already totally worth the money.

    Actually..what makes me sick is people judging others why and how they spend their money. It is my money, I earned it. I work 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week. Would you like me to judge you because you might be spending your money on overpriced fashion or "hip" drinks or whatever I consider a rip off?
    i could not care less about how people spend their cash. the thing is that by buying shit like this you support this horrible trend of pre order bonuses

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    Did you buy that? Be honest.
    When 3 was about to come out i pre-ordered it. When i found out about prothean DLC i have cancelled my order. And i thank the God for it 'till this day.
    Last edited by Endus; Today at 10:40 PM. Reason: Editing to change questionable phrasing to adorable puppies

    Quote Originally Posted by xBreak View Post
    This post was almost as bad as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    The clueless commentary from the shortsighted peanut gallery is getting to me.
    My youtube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/Krystafal

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    Did you buy that? Be honest.
    I bought it... honestly can see why it would get left out of the base game. Pointless character that doesn't really alter the main story beyond lame jokes about the advanced races

    what annoyed me more was the gun dlc's though.
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2014-02-05 at 07:35 PM.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    The clueless commentary from the shortsighted peanut gallery is getting to me.

    It absolutely, 100%, affects all of us. Because monetary success resulting from this kind of money grabbing, exploitative bullshit propagates it throughout the industry. Gamers should all look in the mirror when deciding who to blame for why video game companies adopt shitty practices like DLC and extensive cash shops, or the fact that they all release the same game every year in a shiny new wrapping, causing most genres to stagnate due to a lack of new, unique, or interesting titles or gameplay.
    Yes. Thank you. You wrapped it nicely. What will in the next MMO? Pre-order abilities? Pre-order factions? This industry is going to hell and we are to blame!

    -- also thanks for a new sig (if you dont mind ^^)
    Last edited by Endus; Today at 10:40 PM. Reason: Editing to change questionable phrasing to adorable puppies

    Quote Originally Posted by xBreak View Post
    This post was almost as bad as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    The clueless commentary from the shortsighted peanut gallery is getting to me.
    My youtube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/Krystafal

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Naposim1337 View Post
    i could not care less about how people spend their cash. the thing is that by buying shit like this you support this horrible trend of pre order bonuses.
    Thank you. That is the point of this argument in the first place.

    Like TotalBiscuit, Preacher, Angry Joe, and other review / critics say; By spending you're money you're pretty much telling the publishers that this kind of faggoted business practice is okay because there are always the tens or hundreds of thousands of retards who will buy into it. And if people buy into it, and it generates profits, then that means it works. If it works, it keeps going, and going, and going. The scary part is that we have no idea where it will end.

    Back in the early 90s or whatever, we had expansion packs that came out merely months after the initial title's release.

    Roll around to early 2000s, it's now DLC. Now we're paying top dollar for stuff like map packs, skins, and god knows what else. It gets worse and worse every year. Take a look at Capcom; charging for DLC that's already on the disk, or asking money to download AI opponents. And I only wish I was joking on that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •