Thread: Ancient Aliens

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Such as what?
    Pretty much anything that we don't have a solid explanation for; art-work that seems to depict advanced technology or can only be viewed from high vantage points, constructs or artifacts that go against our understanding of the local culture's technology, pictures of lizard-people and so on.

Why would a civilisation that can travel the universe, and is therefore far in advance of our current society, come to Earth and use technology that is pre-Industrial age?
    I don't know, feel free to make up your own reasons.

There is nothing at all to suggest we have been visited by advanced civilisations.
    It's just a chain of possibilities - if life exists elsewhere, if it gains interstellar travel capabilities, if it visits this planet, if it leaves evidence, if evidence survives...

It all sounds very interesting, cant be a coincidence its been happening through time and different cultures like that

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Pretty much anything that we don't have a solid explanation for; art-work that seems to depict advanced technology or can only be viewed from high vantage points, constructs or artifacts that go against our understanding of the local culture's technology, pictures of lizard-people and so on.
    There is no artwork that depicts advanced technology. There are artworks that people without any education in the subject assume predicts advanced technology, but that isn't the same thing.

Certain societies believed that their god(s) lived above them, so to make artwork for their benefit isn't unexplained or even mysterious.

We only know so much about certain societies, mainly due to them not writing everything down, that they had technologies we didn't realise they had is due to lack of records, and nothing at all has been discovered that we cannot understand how they created it. The more we discover, the more we learn about them.

Lizard people, and every other man-beast hybrid picture, depict two or more creatures native to this planet. Something of a coincidence that aliens look just like the native creatures on this planet, and an amazing stroke of luck for the artists that they had those animals in their locality to draw.

I don't know, feel free to make up your own reasons.
    The technologies used were the technologies available to the people at that time, not really difficult to explain, and amazingly has no Martians involved.

It's just a chain of possibilities - if life exists elsewhere, if it gains interstellar travel capabilities, if it visits this planet, if it leaves evidence, if evidence survives...
    When there is ANY evidence, then I'll be interested.

I'm interested in history and sci-fi, and this type of thing, created for the purposes of milking money from gullible people, is firmly in the realms of sci-fi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Because a mystical, magical deity in the sky has never been proven to exist. What, however, has been proven is that organisms evolve and take over different shapes. It is also widely believed that most planets that would be considered habitable would have the same evolutionary pressures to a point. This means that it's likely there are other organisms, and possibly life-forms that grew sentient, and eventually highly intelligent like us, humans. Now, that isn't proven. We could technically be the only organisms of this type around in the whole universe. That sounds a bit depressing, in my opinion, but it is certainly possible. I, for one - believe we are not. Between the billions - trillions of star systems, most with technically habitable planets, I very fiercely believe there is at least one other planet with evolved creatures.

Now, if their theoretical development started a lot earlier than on Earth, they - probably, have surpassed us. That's pretty much why.

I don't subscribe to the 'Ancient Aliens'/'Ancient Astronaut' concept, but I do think it is very possible. It's more of a case of 'I don't actively think so, but if it ends up being true, I won't scratch my head at it.".
    What if God is an alien, and he did in fact create life using DNA diffusion a la Prometheus.

With folklore, humans do not simply make up tall tales - there tends to be a seed of truth that stories and based around, them embellished upon over the millennia.

Studying ethnoarchaeology many moons ago, specifically looking at folklore, fascinated the balls off me - especially common belief systems in separate cultures.

Some one lend me a flying, time-travelling DeLorean and I'll go back to the Palaeolithic then ancient Sumeria!

Deleted
    I like the show, take it with salt but, some of the points made are interesting.

15+ Year Old Account
    nothing at all has been discovered that we cannot understand how they created it.
    i haven´t looked up on coral castle in the last months, but do we have an explaination for how it was achieved to build? if you find something that means if you are interested at all let me know what you think about it
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post
    Belief in God = Haha you have no proof fool!

Belief in Aliens = Mmm
    Maybe some of us don't believe in either?

The only thing that caught my eye in your argument is that you used IF five times.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2014-02-06 at 11:06 AM.

I don't know, so God!
    I don't know, so Aliens!

No difference...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Priestiality View Post
    You should read up on the Fermi Paradox and the Drake Equation. Basically, there HAS to be life SOMEWHERE in the universe. The more exoplanets we discover the more likely this becomes via the Drake equation. However, with what we know about how space (specifically distance) and time impact one another, we could safely assume that even if there were an intelligent race or races elsewhere in the universe, they would either be A.) too far away for us to contact each other (due to light and radio waves taking millions to billions of years to reach one another) or B.) by the time we receive any sort of wave transmission from them their civilization could have easily collapsed.
    Firstly the Drake equation is based on assumptions its not proof of anything and totally ignores the most relevant question, that of how likely it is for life to begin. as it deals solely with the assumption of what chance there is for an environment to support life existing.

If the chance for life beginningis 1 in 10trillionbillion. But there are only 10trillion available environments where it can survive...then its very unlikely for life to exist at all. let alone multiple times.

We simply do not have enough data to make any call on whether or not life exists elsewhere.

As for the fermi paradox.....its not really a paradox is it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    i haven´t looked up on coral castle in the last months, but do we have an explaination for how it was achieved to build? if you find something that means if you are interested at all let me know what you think about it
    This is a picture of Ed Leedskalnin, building Coral Castle with alien technology.*

*He was from Latvia, and built it in the US, so that qualifies as alien.

People who keep bringing up the Drake equation should first read on what the man himself said about it. I'm pretty sure he knew the intentions of his own idea better than you do.

Some of the claims are outright ridiculous...

On the other hand, the theory of aliens boosting humans (pre-homo sapiens sapiens) to make them more practical servants, hence the "missing link" is quite interesting.

Though what I hate most about this show is, that they simply tell you "aliens this, aliens that", but there is no other point view. No actual scientist who would say "okay, this is bullcrap, cause we found this and that, which clearly disproves your pretty little theory".

Also watching the episodes where they keep talking about December 2012 and the end of the world is ridiculous

15+ Year Old Account
    This is a picture of Ed Leedskalnin, building Coral Castle with alien technology.*

*He was from Latvia, and built it in the US, so that qualifies as alien.
    uhm i wasn´t talking about aliens ^^ merely that we still have no clue how he managed to build it
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

There is zero evidence, and therefore no reason to believe that happened.

...or the vivid imaginations of humans.
    My only hope on the matter is that I get an answer before I die. Unlikely but I remain hopeful.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toobad View Post

On the other hand, the theory of aliens boosting humans (pre-homo sapiens sapiens) to make them more practical servants, hence the "missing link" is quite interesting.

Though what I hate most about this show is, that they simply tell you "aliens this, aliens that", but there is no other point view. No actual scientist who would say "okay, this is bullcrap, cause we found this and that, which clearly disproves your pretty little theory".

Also watching the episodes where they keep talking about December 2012 and the end of the world is ridiculous
    yeah, that is a bummer, i´m pretty open to all ideas but i also want proof at the end, or else it´s just some religious believe, and i don´t fancy them at all

10+ Year Old Account
    uhm i wasn´t talking about aliens ^^ merely that we still have no clue how he managed to build it
    I've just posted a picture of him building it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've just posted a picture of him building it.
    so with that picture alone you´d be able to build something similiar?

10+ Year Old Account
    so with that picture alone you´d be able to build something similiar?
    No idea, but I'm not prepared to spend the 20 odd years it took him trying to find out.

There is no mystery in how he built it - the Greeks and Romans used similar methods, it wasn't even novel.

15+ Year Old Account
    No idea, but I'm not prepared to spend the 20 odd years it took him trying to find out.

There is no mystery in how he built it - the Greeks and Romans used similar methods, it wasn't even novel.
    that´s what i´m talking about, similiar methods, alright, what methods? i mean i´m just impressed that he was able to do this on his own and don´t forget that he managed to move it within 3 years

so unless someone is able to explain in detail how he achieved it i´m confident to say we have no clue, hence why i quoted you in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Toobad View Post

The whole thing about the "missing link" is also misunderstood;

The idea of a missing link is nonsense. To understand why this is, think analogously of the “evolution” of a human being throughout his lifetime. It is absurd to challenge the fact that a child evolves (in an informal sense of the word) into a grandparent by demanding an example of the precise moment when a child becomes old. There is no such moment! The progression from childhood to old-age is gradual, and occurs over many decades. Likewise, the evolution of humans occurred, but over much, much greater periods of time—billions of years in all. There is no single moment of humanities origin—there is no first human. And looking for such is illusory.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance