1. #1
    Legendary! TJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    6,197

    How much addon memory do you use?

    I don't have that many addons and use the default ui, but the addon TellMeWhen which I use for quite a lot of things seems to take up the most by far (about 7mb and sometimes 13ish when tmwoptions is added as well (don't know why that comes up sometimes)). I seem to get some delay lag on my spells near the start of fights and sometimes on fights. Quartz has my Cobra Shot sometimes at like 500 ping or so, whereas the ping on the green computer is fine.

    Is it possible that 15-20 mb or so for addons that I have on a fight is too much for my connection or something and causing me to lag? I don't use Skada or any damage counter and I have the combat log completely disabled. I have 7 meg down and 0.3 up for my internet speed.

    My pc is:
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.8GHz
    Memory 8192MB RAM
    Hard Drive 1 TB and WoW and Windows on an SSD
    Motherboard Asus P8P67-M
    Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
    Video Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

    Anyone else have similar problems and how much addon memory do you use?

  2. #2
    Options -> Network -> Disable "Optimalize Network for Speed"

  3. #3
    Well, last time I checked my steady-state memory use outside combat (eg: skada and death-note empty) sits around 250MB ± 20MB. My machine sits at a comfortable 30 FPS with vsync enabled everywhere outside combat. In combat I see more addon memory (because many combat log related addons), and can see FPS push down low, but no latency spikes, during huge bursts of activity.

    So, no, it is unlikely that your 20-ish MB of addon memory cause your problem. Not impossible, just unlikely. If you are running the 32-bit WoW client you are more likely to be feeling pain in that regard (though 20MB is still really low. (Your PC can run the 64-bit client, though, so I expect that it is doing so. If you don't know, it is the 64-bit version.

    Quartz actually measures the time it takes for the message to get through to the server, and I guess that it only *sometimes* shows that high value, usually sitting down at something pretty small, right?

    The most likely candidate is that you are ending up with occasional high latency on your relatively slow connection -- especially with 0.3Mbit up. It wouldn't take much for, say, a housemate to upload a couple of photos to Facebook and flood that connection for a while. Suddenly it *does* take half a second for your keypress to get to the Blizzard server, even though speed goes back to "fine" the moment their upload is done.

    That would only show up on the little computer latency measure if it was sustained -- that is, if it was a constant thing, not a brief burst of stuff. Most of the time that isn't gonna happen unless, say, someone is using bittorrent or something.

    So, yeah. Addon memory isn't likely to be your root cause here in any meaningful way. It could be addon CPU use, but more likely to be something briefly over-using your Internet connection.

  4. #4
    why do you think memory usage causes lag

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by pnutbutter View Post
    why do you think memory usage causes lag
    Because it is a visible number, so people assume it actually means something, when rarely is that the case.
    They seem to ignore the 1-2 gigabytes the client is using, which suddenly makes that 20mb look rather insignificant.

    CPU usage is generally what kills performance, not memory.

    What you describe is completely unrelated to TellMeWhen, as that addon doesn't do anything substantial, if even anything at all regarding communication.
    Therefore the latency has another cause, and likely not addon related.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I don't understand why we don't have flying so they tell us we will have convenient flight points. Immersion and danger? Here take some coins and fly me there while I read facebook or go take a poop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    CPU usage is generally what kills performance, not memory.
    It entirely depends on what kind of performance problem you're having. RAM is the most easily solved (close programs), CPU is more likely to cause lag with out of combat addons unless you're running very heavy data manipulation addons and HDD speed is the one that causes the vast majority of raid lag, due to Blizzard's awful management of combat log messages.

    HDD and general lag is the most likely cause of OP's issue, as it sounds like the typical Bloodlust/Stampede style problem that almost all players suffer from, and is accentuated on various fights.
    Last edited by Xs; 2014-02-06 at 02:09 AM.

  7. #7
    Some addons can mess up the game and decrease the frame rates for some reason, especially the ones out of date, but the amount of ram they use is pretty much not even worth thinking about.

  8. #8
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    2,279
    i'm pretty sure that 0.3Mbps upload is what cause you to lag, addon bandwidth usage is very, very limited compared to the client. Also with that PC can't be a memory/CPU problem, it's similar to mine and i had absolutely no problem with 60Mb addons (after hours of Recount recording) and ultra settings except the first days of Huolon farming (all related to my shitty connection)
    Last edited by S7orm; 2014-02-06 at 02:56 AM.
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.8GHz
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x4GB 1600Mhz
    VGA: XFX Radeon HD 6990
    Drive: 1 x OCZ Vertex 3 240Gb + 1 x WD Caviar Black 1TB
    PSU: Corsair AX850W Case: Cooler Master HAF X CPU Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14

  9. #9
    TellMeWhen uses quite a bit of memory in order to save CPU usage - it caches things so that they don't have to constantly be recomputed. Unless you are actually out of memory (look at the percentage at the bottom of Task Manager in Windows - if that is greater than 90% then you should look into upgrading your system), then TMW's memory usage is not slowing you down.

    At 8 GB, though, you shouldn't be having any memory usage issues at all unless you are running a whole lot of things in the background, like a web browser with a huge number of open tabs.
    Last edited by Cybeloras; 2014-02-06 at 03:01 AM.
    Author of TellMeWhen and many other useful and helpful addons such as SpeedyLoad.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybeloras View Post
    TellMeWhen uses quite a bit of memory in order to save CPU usage - it caches things so that they don't have to constantly be recomputed. Unless you are actually out of memory (look at the percentage at the bottom of Task Manager in Windows - if that is greater than 90% then you should look into upgrading your system), then TMW's memory usage is not slowing you down.

    At 8 GB, though, you shouldn't be having any memory usage issues at all unless you are running a whole lot of things in the background, like a web browser with a huge number of open tabs.
    However i don't really understand how come TellMeWhen using the same ammount of CPU when not showing anything and when all of the bars are visible, seems like a waste to me.

  11. #11
    Legendary! TJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    6,197
    Cheers guys, was hoping to get these kind of answers. In regards to my internet, I live in a village with terrible wiring for internet, therefore the this is the max I can possibly get atm.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    It entirely depends on what kind of performance problem you're having. RAM is the most easily solved (close programs), CPU is more likely to cause lag with out of combat addons unless you're running very heavy data manipulation addons and HDD speed is the one that causes the vast majority of raid lag, due to Blizzard's awful management of combat log messages.

    HDD and general lag is the most likely cause of OP's issue, as it sounds like the typical Bloodlust/Stampede style problem that almost all players suffer from, and is accentuated on various fights.
    Within the context of addons, their share of the CPU usage is in the vast majority of cases more harmful towards the performance of the game than their usage of memory is, given how their memory usage is generally a tiny fraction of that used by the client in total.

    It was that I was trying to convey, not that memory usage doesn't have an impact on overall system performance.
    I agree on that.

    I can't argue that there are significant issues related to the combat log parsing, or performance in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I don't understand why we don't have flying so they tell us we will have convenient flight points. Immersion and danger? Here take some coins and fly me there while I read facebook or go take a poop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

  13. #13
    High Overlord Krasuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Cheers guys, was hoping to get these kind of answers. In regards to my internet, I live in a village with terrible wiring for internet, therefore the this is the max I can possibly get atm.
    i know the feel bro alto i would KILL for speed you have iam stuck with 1,5Mbit down and around 0,1 up, my addons use like 60-100MB of memory and i dont have any lags my latency is stable around 50ms unless some1 uses the internet...even browsing is causing spikes...

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Krasuss View Post
    i know the feel bro alto i would KILL for speed you have iam stuck with 1,5Mbit down and around 0,1 up, my addons use like 60-100MB of memory and i dont have any lags my latency is stable around 50ms unless some1 uses the internet...even browsing is causing spikes...
    That is likely your router.
    Check in the documentation if it has any sort of Quality of Service (QoS) where it can prioritise certain content, and move that which isn't time sensitive down in priority (web browsing, steam downloads etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I don't understand why we don't have flying so they tell us we will have convenient flight points. Immersion and danger? Here take some coins and fly me there while I read facebook or go take a poop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    That is likely your router.
    Check in the documentation if it has any sort of Quality of Service (QoS) where it can prioritise certain content, and move that which isn't time sensitive down in priority (web browsing, steam downloads etc).
    No matter what you do with 0,1M upload speed, anyone who had that low upload speed will understand that.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Resike View Post
    No matter what you do with 0,1M upload speed, anyone who had that low upload speed will understand that.
    Minimising the impact of other demands on the bandwidth has to be worth a try.
    Whether that is actually the only contributing factor hasn't been determined.
    A rather big assumption about what internet access I haven't had in the past.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-02-06 at 06:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I don't understand why we don't have flying so they tell us we will have convenient flight points. Immersion and danger? Here take some coins and fly me there while I read facebook or go take a poop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

  17. #17
    Legendary! TJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    6,197
    Regarding that addon memory isn't likely to be a cause of my lag, does this mean that Skada wouldn't cause me to lag more or is that a different ball game because it tracks so much?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Regarding that addon memory isn't likely to be a cause of my lag, does this mean that Skada wouldn't cause me to lag more or is that a different ball game because it tracks so much?
    You are correct, in that the amount of processing that meters have to do is what causes the performance drop.
    Memory usage is simply a consequence of the amount of data it records.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I don't understand why we don't have flying so they tell us we will have convenient flight points. Immersion and danger? Here take some coins and fly me there while I read facebook or go take a poop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

  19. #19
    When you say your Cobra Shot is lagging are you accounting for spell queuing?
    If you Cobra Shot, then hit Cobra Shot again halfway through the cast, you will see (time spent in spell queue)+(actual latency) as latency on quartz on the 2nd cast. If you're hammering the button it can look like lag, but it's the Cobra Shot from a button press 20 presses ago that's actually going off with zero server side latency.

  20. #20
    Herald of the Titans Yakobro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,620
    Quote Originally Posted by S7orm View Post
    i'm pretty sure that 0.3Mbps upload is what cause you to lag
    I have the same sort of connection and no problems

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •