Thread: Whale Shark

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalira View Post

(Original Story)

And people ask me why I'm scared of the ocean...
    apparently it has a bout 9 million HP and yo uget an achievement if you kill it

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    They are not unknown. We have been to the deepest part of the ocean multiple times. This whole "there might be titanic creatures lurking" is just hogwash. Diving is awesome in so many ways.
    Wrong. About 95% of the ocean remains unexplored.

"We have explored about 5 to 7 percent of the ocean floor and about a half a percent of the ocean itself. In the deep ocean, it is even less. Part of it is because it is so hard to get to."

http://curiosity.discovery.com/quest...ed-ocean-depth
    http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/exploration.html

Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    O.O

Well I was GONNA say that Whale Sharks are cute! But then... no one is pretty from every angle. Esp not that one!

Although considering what they normally feed on, I'm sure that would have been a pretty terrible experience for the animal as well. Omg what's caught in my throat! It's moving!
    Err... you do realize that the human in that picture is behind the shark right? It's also pretty clearly moving to avoid the cameraman.

They may not be rocket surgeons, but they know enough that "the large swimming thing in my way is not food".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Err... you do realize that the human in that picture is behind the shark right? It's also pretty clearly moving to avoid the cameraman.

They may not be rocket surgeons, but they know enough that "the large swimming thing in my way is not food".
    What does a rocket surgeon do? I now want to be a rocket surgeon when I grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I'm not scared of whale sharks. But I am scared of the open ocean.

It's just endless water, above you endless sky and below you a blue murkey abyss. Anything could be down there, watching you helplessly swim through the endless blue. It just scares me for some reason.
    In reality most of those things below you are too busy worrying about their own problems to worry about you. Makes more sense to worry about reefs. That's where all the real action happens.

Also caves are infinitely more terrifying than the open ocean.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Pff, did not. It's better in Swedish.
    He doesn't have his adorable Jamaican accent.

Get out of here with that... that... war crime you call a Disney song!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetHydrant View Post
    As seals do to komodo dragons in Galapagos.

- HAI! Lez play
    - no. I need breath plz
    komodo dragons in the galapagos? Pretty sure they are only native to the island of komodo - maybe you mean iguanas?

Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I'm not scared of whale sharks. But I am scared of the open ocean.

It's just endless water, above you endless sky and below you a blue murkey abyss. Anything could be down there, watching you helplessly swim through the endless blue. It just scares me for some reason.
    You should EMDR that shit. Seriously it sounds like you're scared of being helpless, hopeless, and the like. The ocean represents something deeper / bigger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    Not to forget that you will never be remotely close to one unless you actively went searching for it (ala guy in the picture).

Regular sharks are a much higher danger than a whale shark, but even then they aren't really much of a danger (especially if you live on the west coast of Australia since they're culling them. different can of worms there). Then there's blue ring octopus and box jelly fish, but even they are in specific places that are well documented so you know to stay away.

The oceans are massive. The likelihood of anything getting you in the tiny section of water you're in is extremely remote.
    Yep. In general, you're more likely to be killed by a vending machine than a shark.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevecow View Post
    Outside of being bashed with it's tail fin that thing won't hurt you.
    This.

I mean I would rather be shit scared of the following...

Leopard Seal

Giant Squid

Baracuda (best fish I ever ate, mmmm)

Killer Whale

My least favorite, but I used to play with them as a child,
    the Portuguese Man of War

The list goes on...

Whale shark, is in the same category as

Sea Cucumber
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    This.

I mean I would rather be shit scared of the following...

Leopard Seal

Giant Squid

Baracuda (best fish I ever ate, mmmm)

Killer Whale

My least favorite, but I used to play with them as a child,
    the Portuguese Man of War

The list goes on...

Whale shark, is in the same category as

Sea Cucumber
    Awww... why would anyone be afraid of a killer whale? They love us.

Leopard Seals are no more or less dangerous than sharks... and are usually more curious about us than anything iirc.

And cephalopods are adorable!

I'd be more scared of uhhh... hmm.. something like this.

Not because it's aggressive (because obviously the thing is just curious) but because to it, we're like ants and deserve about the same recognition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Awww... why would anyone be afraid of a killer whale? They love us.

Leopard Seals are no more or less dangerous than sharks... and are usually more curious about us than anything iirc.

And cephalopods are adorable!

I'd be more scared of uhhh... hmm.. something like this.

Not because it's aggressive (because obviously the thing is just curious) but because to it, we're like ants and deserve about the same recognition.
    Is that a Grey, Minke, or Blue Whale?

I would be $hit scared of it. Not eaten alive, but pulled thousands of meters underwater just for it's own amusement, scares the jebus out of me.

I love Tadoussac for the whale watching in Quebec, but respect them enough to stay the hell away.

I used to sand-board down those dunes while watching whales and belugas, what a beautiful spot in the world.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

jesus, nature is scary

Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    Is that a Grey, Minke, or Blue Whale?

I would be $hit scared of it. Not eaten alive, but pulled thousands of meters underwater just for it's own amusement, scares the jebus out of me.

I love Tadoussac for the whale watching in Quebec, but respect them enough to stay the hell away.

I used to sand-board down those dunes while watching whales and belugas, what a beautiful spot in the world.
    Honestly I have no idea what kind it is.

If I had to venture a guess I'd say it's a Minke just because blues are far too rare to encounter one like that and Grey whales tend to be covered in barnacles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goremonger View Post
    Ah the deadly whale shark. The fel reaver of the sea.

Nice shot, props to camera man