Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How strong is the player character lore-wise?

I was curious of what other people's impressions are of powerful the player character (that's right, YOU!) is in WoW.
    In the context of a 25 man raid, it start to feel like your character is a dime-a-dozen, but as you quest through certain parts of the game you feel quiet powerful. So just how powerful are our characters within the lore of warcraft? Could your warrior's swordsmanship match up against Tirion? Could your mage sling spells alongside the likes of Antonidas? or are our characters "merely" elite foot soldiers? More accomplish then most, but nothing compared to the named NPCs/main characters.

I recall during the pre-wrath Garrosh vs Thrall duel thinking, "I wish my character could go toe-to-toe with Thrall".
    My (rather broad) personal impression is that our characters would undoubtedly lose to most notable characters (racial leaders and the like), but could at least hold their own in their presence. I'm not very sure of anything more specific then that.

Elite foot soldiers is a good comparison. PCs are much stronger than the typical ingame mobs, but couldn't touch any of the raid bosses on their own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I suffering from Deja-Vu? I swear to god there was another thread on this EXACT subject in the feed no less than 20 minutes ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

You are a prodigy. You are not some almighty, all powerful [Class] but you are vastly more powerful than the rest.

If the events we participate in ever get novelised, our role will likely be reassigned to a lore character of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Am I suffering from Deja-Vu? I swear to god there was another thread on this EXACT subject in the feed no less than 20 minutes ago...
    Yep, there was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Must be rather powerful if I can solo old raid content.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    If the events we participate in ever get novelised, our role will likely be reassigned to a lore character of some kind.
    Varian Wrynn killed Onyxia, Akama defeated Illidan with the help of some Adventurers, same for Tirion and the Lich King. The Aspects and Thrall defeated Deathwing while the Adventurers distracted him. Basically everything we do is in support capacity. We will never be credited for our work, neither will it be shifted to some new NPC, it'll be credited to whichever NPC we were saving/doing everything for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Yes by Salandrin.

10+ Year Old Account
    We aren't, simply put lore wise there is no distinction between the player character and any other soldier of the same status, since questlines alternate from you being an elite soldier to a nameless average soldier it's impossible to make a accurate measure of the strength of the player character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on who I talk to... those low level area NPCs have no respect for a great adventurer who's been through great battles, still going around referring to me in childlike terms... hmph.

Quote Originally Posted by godofslack View Post
    We aren't, simply put lore wise there is no distinction between the player character and any other soldier of the same status, since questlines alternate from you being an elite soldier to a nameless average soldier it's impossible to make a accurate measure of the strength of the player character.
    That's not even close to accurate. In cases where you are treated as simply a soldier its because you haven't been tested yet. Usually in these types of quest chains the NPC(s) eventually realize you to be the *only* one capable of completing the ultimate task.

I think this is best captured in the Hyjal quest chain when Aessina speaks to you

"Aessina says: Who are you, <class>, to bear such a burden?
    Aessina says: Protector of the animals... Slayer of dragons... Champion of the ancients...
    Aessina says: My dearest old friend Nordu has bestowed to you a great gift, <race>. The gift of life.
    Aessina says: But i entrust you with an even greater responsibility."

etc.

Also I do believe players are in game AND lore wise powerful enough to solo defeat (with ease) old raid bosses. I liken it to DBZ when Future Trunks comes and makes a game out of Freiza.

Depends on the race and class. They're all equal for gameplay, but in lore different races excel at different things and certain classes are stronger than others. Like a blood elf would outclass an orc in arcane magic, but the orc would win in physical strength. Or a paladin is stronger than a warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    That's not even close to accurate. In cases where you are treated as simply a soldier its because you haven't been tested yet. Usually in these types of quest chains the NPC(s) eventually realize you to be the *only* one capable of completing the ultimate task.

I think this is best captured in the Hyjal quest chain when Aessina speaks to you

Aessina says: Protector of the animals... Slayer of dragons... Champion of the ancients...
    Aessina says: My dearest old friend Nordu has bestowed to you a great gift, <race>. The gift of life.

etc.

Also I do believe players are in game AND lore wise powerful enough to solo defeat (with ease) old raid bosses. I liken it to DBZ when Future Trunks comes and makes a game out of Freiza.
    Wrathion says it best when he introduces you to Anduin.

<Wrathion introduces you both.>

Prince Anduin, this is <name>, possibly the most powerful <class> in Pandaria.

Oh - do you already know of each other? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Thassarian View Post
    You are a prodigy. You are not some almighty, all powerful [Class] but you are vastly more powerful than the rest.
    Sounds about right. There are friendly lore characters far more powerful than ourselves, but alone generally dont posses the strength to deal with many of our enemies which is why we raid.

Otherwise I just view ourselves as heroes which is also in the character descriptions, but it sucks when we end up effectively feeling like bully gods standing in fires and ignoring mechanics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post

etc.

Well the player character isn't even canonical in the first place, but that's beside the point wasn't that you are always an average solider or an elite one but your power and status is WILDLY inconsistent. I mean you go from chosen champion of the ancients to foot soldier from Hyjal to Twilight Highlands, from foot soldier in tirisfal to elite champion in silverpine (to the point of being considered a higher priority than a northrend veteran and the field commander of the deathstalkers).

Deleted
    About this powerful:

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't appear in lore written after WoW began, it would be too confusing seeing something written as "As Deathwing spiraled down the Maelstrom, the 25 heroes who conquered him stand above, watching Deathwing drown endlessly." Just to see the 25 heroes unnamed.

We don't exist in Metzen's fanfic.. err I mean in lore. Players, or the nameless Heroes/Adventurers, which we are sometimes in lore, are a squashy construct that stretches from single person to army of thousands. We simply aren't recognized at all, because frankly, every character that did more than 3 quests ahould probably be hailed as a hero across azeroth, not to mention we who downed the big baddies.

WoW is a themepark and for all intents and purposes they could give us a tirion mask and say slay the lich king lil' boy. After which we then charge the cardboard lichking with our wooden sword and begin whacking it.

As othert said our existence is so all over the place, we are simply not canon at all, therefore the only sensible way is to conclude we don't exist in the first place.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2014-02-06 at 07:39 AM.

I'd liken us to Captain America in marvel comics. We're way tougher and more powerful than the average dude, we don't have the crazy powers of a raid boss, but get us together with the Avengers....I mean our raid team (:P) and we're unstoppable.

edit: as for weather or not we exist in Lore....I believe our characters do. BUT...there is only one "main hero" and that's YOUR character (IE: Whenever "the hero" is refereed to, its your character fulfilling that role).

For example, in SoO when my raid team rocks up to confront the Klaxxi, and start talking to the Wakener, I take it that they're talking to MY character, and I believe thats the way Blizz intends it. For every player, their character is the "main" character.

I kinda prefer it that way, do refer to the player characters, but leave it vague so anybody can look at a lore moment or whatever and say "HEY....that's ME!".
    Last edited by Icaras; 2014-02-06 at 07:36 AM.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

10+ Year Old Account
    When I first started back in 2006 and was more into RP I would stand next to Saurfang in front of Org with my Champion PvP set on and pretend like I was a badass legendary Orc hero. Then I would toggle walk and walk all around town.

If I were to choose a similarly-powerful character or NPC as a point of reference as to how strong the PC is, I would say a strong quest giver, but not a hero or major character. Someone like General Nazgrim.