Need some advice on 2pc and 4pc...

I have two tokens for tier 16, and I wanted to ask is the 2pc or 4pc brewmaster set bonuses worth it? It seems like some of the windwalker gear has better stats for BM.

2p bonus is utter trash and shouldn't even be considered as a thing that exists, 500 Stamina is more valuable than it is.

The 4p bonus is actually very good theoretically, worth around 8k mastery minimum, but the condition that you have to PB for that to be effective means it's not actually as good as real mastery in the case of something that would one or two-shot you, but that scenario doesn't actually happen in SoO.

However, most people do not go for the 4p and do not consider it very good, but it's not because of what it is or the way it works, but rather than BrMs simply do not need any more mitigation than what appears on your gear and what you could gem for. The other Monk in my guild runs 12k mastery because he likes being a bit on the safe side and heroic 25 man Garrosh barely tickles him with AAs. I kite on that fight and have butchered my gear to be full DPS capable, but I do have 4p and around 7k mastery. Neither one of us really needs to PB often and with EB up and the meta gem procced (Garrosh hits very very hard on the first hit before that 20% is up, but that's still only around 500k on my 7k mastery set) you can tank heroic 25 man Garrosh (the hardest hitting boss in the expansion except maybe Ka'roz at the end of Paragons) with basically no mastery if you had to.

So the 4p is good, very good in fact. However, you don't need it. No one needs it. There's no reason to use the awfully itemized tier gear for it when you could just get more mastery/crit gear instead that's potentially higher ilvl (and thus more stats). The only reason I do is because I keep my WW and BrM sets separate where I can and the BrM tier is more useful to me than WW gear because I can put whatever gems I want in the BrM gear without affecting my WW gear. If you're a main tank though, there's no reason to bother considering the tier when even WW tier is better itemized for BrM.

I actually just looked at the top brewmasters by rank, and quite a few didn't even bother for the set. Including the very top one. So I'm assuming even in heroic raiding. It's not necessary.

that's right. it really isn't. you'll get more stats from other pieces. with that being said, some of the items have good stats on them and can still be used (chest comes to mind)

Deleted
    What "top brewmasters by rank" are doing is in no way necessarily representative for what's best for progression. Farm and progression are two very different animals. That aside, I agree that the current set bonuses are rather pale in comparison to previous tier's 2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Citti View Post
    What "top brewmasters by rank" are doing is in no way necessarily representative for what's best for progression. Farm and progression are two very different animals. That aside, I agree that the current set bonuses are rather pale in comparison to previous tier's 2p.
    Yea I agree, but I personally think that they know their class very well, and sometimes can give a good guideline for how to gear/gem/enchant.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Yea I agree, but I personally think that they know their class very well, and sometimes can give a good guideline for how to gear/gem/enchant.
    On the contrary to that, they know their class very well so they are able to get out of it what others cannot. DPS can look at the top and see what to do by matching them, tanking is so very different that doing that may actually be harmful. So a grain of salt is needed.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Babylonius View Post
    On the contrary to that, they know their class very well so they are able to get out of it what others cannot. DPS can look at the top and see what to do by matching them, tanking is so very different that doing that may actually be harmful. So a grain of salt is needed.
    Idk what your arguing at this point. Are you an avid supporter of the set bonuses? Imo if the set was really that good. So many players wouldn't be just forgetting about it in favor of stats. No matter how good they know the class. From what I gather its good for a couple of encounters on heroic difficulty. I'm not even going to be doing heroic. So why bother.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Idk what your arguing at this point. Are you an avid supporter of the set bonuses? Imo if the set was really that good. So many players wouldn't be just forgetting about it in favor of stats. No matter how good they know the class. From what I gather its good for a couple of encounters on heroic difficulty. I'm not even going to be doing heroic. So why bother.
    I'm not arguing anything. They are a good way to look, but with tanking you can't take what the top tanks (how is that even measured) and try to copy what they do and expect similar results. If you saw a tank in full Crit set up then went full Crit you may not be able to survive some encounters that they are able to survive because of the exceptional healers they may have around them.

If you're answer is "i'm not even going to be doing heroic. so why bother." Then why even ask the question if it doesn't matter? You want to optimize but you can't always look at tanks doing heroic content and assume its going to work 100% for you on different fights or on normal.

All I said is you can't take what they're doing and expect identical results when tanking takes a level of flexibility and finesse that differs from person to person.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

I'm not arguing anything. They are a good way to look, but with tanking you can't take what the top tanks (how is that even measured) and try to copy what they do and expect similar results. If you saw a tank in full Crit set up then went full Crit you may not be able to survive some encounters that they are able to survive because of the exceptional healers they may have around them.

If you're answer is "i'm not even going to be doing heroic. so why bother." Then why even ask the question if it doesn't matter? You want to optimize but you can't always look at tanks doing heroic content and assume its going to work 100% for you on different fights or on normal.

All I said is you can't take what they're doing and expect identical results when tanking takes a level of flexibility and finesse that differs from person to person.
    Oh of course. I though that would be common sense. I'm not just copying I'm agreeing. That's quite a bit different. considering this set bonus too. I don't think it has much to do with good healers or bad healers. I basically just saw a census among some well played Brewmasters and agreed with it, but in no way would I just blindly copy what they do, but thanks for the look out anyway.

I'd agree with that to a point. However, I'd say the primary reason to NOT take top class player's gear choices as canon, is that they are typically at a different level of progression that can/may require different strategies/gearing/gemming/talents than the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge View Post
    I'd agree with that to a point. However, I'd say the primary reason to NOT take top class player's gear choices as canon, is that they are typically at a different level of progression that can/may require different strategies/gearing/gemming/talents than the majority.
    Some of the top BrMs also have amaze balls healers which as Babylonius said, let's them get away with much more.

4 set is good for progression on Malk/Thok/Paragons/Garrosh. Not so much on any other fight tbh.

Also, if you are armoring tanks that have finished progression and using that advice on how you should gear for progression you are doing it incredibly wrong. Once fights are on farm the only thing interesting left for a tank is finding ways to game dps, as there is no real threat of dying once you and your healers have done the fight so much.

Every "top" tank is going to do what they need to for survival on progression and once that is met they will lose it each week where they can.

2 piece is whatever, if same ilvl the set bonus will be better then any "stats" are for survival but if you are downgrading ilvl to get it, forget about it. It's pretty irrelevant overall.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2014-02-07 at 08:37 PM.