Deleted

[Balance] tricks and tips

So I have been "made" to go OS balance on my resto druid for HC progression!!
    I have never really played Boomkin, I get the basics of it but I was wondering if there where any tips and tricks people had for increasing DPS in 10 man HC progression...? Currently 8/14HC as resto but I have been asked to change to boomkin mainly for Garrosh but I will be playing boomkin to gear and get used to it!
    Any help would be sweet!

Start with reading the guide that's stickied for Balance here on the forums, it's one of the most in-debth guides I've come acroos for any class, and it can help you loads.

There's loads of these threads, read the forums.

Sorry if some of this is kind of basic... But this is just things that I've come across as I've played my boomkin. First and foremost make sure you have dots ticking on good targets.... In other words make sure you have dots rolling and that the targets will be alive long enough to make your globals worth it. I use weak auras to track my current target dots and for multi dot situations I use an add-on called Ellipsis. I use starsurge procs as they happen... I use a weak aura that makes a noise and spins when I get a proc to make sure I notice it and I don't waste too many. Minimize movement. You gotta know where you gotta be and have a plan on how to get from point a to point b while still doing dps.... For example on some fights if I know I'm going to have stack and position is no big deal I'll start inching my way to the stack point with dots and SS procs since I can move and cast those.. Make sure you keep your nature's grace uptime up.... NG occurs every time you enter a new eclipse with a low uptime it means your not cycling your eclipses fast enough. Being a boomkin is all about managing the eclipse cycle. There is not a such thing as "camping an eclipse" anymore. Low dps a lot of times can start with a low cycling time.... On fights your struggling on compare the lunar / solar phases of yourself and another boomkin and NG uptime. Sometimes stressing too much about multidotting can lead to low NG uptime... I'm not sure of the math and what exactly the point is I believe wrath calc can tell you exactly... but dotting too many targets actually makes it so your not moving your bar fast enough and essentially not getting any nukes into any target... Eventually multidotting doesnt lead to any more SS procs In general I try to have two targets dotted and play the third (if one is available) by ear. Maybe if you post specific fights it may be easier to give you little tips and tricks of the trade... I hope I didn't insult you.. But when I'm looking at logs for people the things I've mentioned are often times the things that are overlooked and can be at least some of the cause of low dps.
    Don't forget your ABC's (Always Be Casting)
    Good luck in your boomkin adventures Don't get frustrated just keep at it.... If boomkin was easy there would be a whole lot more of them

-6 second rule on dots - don't spend more than 6 seconds of your Nature's Grace dotting targets in a multidot situation.

- at 20 solar energy cast wrath before starsurge to make the best use of your eclipse bar until you are above 30% crit then use starsurge priority #1

- its very important that you have full understanding of fight mechanics to know how to deal with movement. in an ideal situation you'll have starfall, starsurge proc, and 2 dots to provide 4 seconds of movement. know where you're going and how long its going to take to get there before you have to be there.

- dont snapshot dots even though it might be tempting, they aren't worth the GCDs

- unless you get a "perfect storm" of trinket procs, fresh solar eclipse, meta gem, etc don't bother using hurricane. let the warlocks do it. put a couple of eclipsed dots on the bigger mobs (if present) and resume single target.

- mushrooms do shit damage, but they're good to proc all your buffs at the start of a fight. plant under the boss

- try the solar opener (start in solar eclipse, pop everything at the start), it depends a lot on your gear if you'll get more dps out of it, but see what happens.

- if youre using the standard lunar cooldown method you can hold over a starfall to get triple starfall every set of cooldowns, but this is hardly worth remembering to do at high levels of haste, again, it depends on your gear.

- making good use of nature's grace is important, if you find yourself 1 cast away from eclipse and know you'll be moving very soon just do something else to fill the GCDs so you can trigger NG and go after the movement is over. unless you know you have enough gcd's to not waste movement, like refreshing dots, starfall, mushrooms someplace a lot of adds will be spawning, etc. aim for 75% Nature's Grace uptime on most things. a little lower on multitarget fights.

idk, those are just some general things that i do off the top of my head. you have to really just understand the class and feel out each fight there are too many "in this specific situation, do this" kinds of things to list them all here.
    Last edited by crunk; 2014-02-18 at 09:56 AM.