Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

New raids don't seem to be 100% linear.

Every single raid in MoP has been 100% linear, so you move from one boss to the next to the end boss, this being caused by the introduction of LFR. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, but it is nice when we had raids like firelands for example that are a big open area, with the exceptions of a few bosses, you could go fight any boss at any time. Although there will be some linear raids in WoD, I looked at the map for the blackhand raid (I can't post links as it is a new account, google WoD Blackrock Foundry map and have a look.) So as you can see this one is quite a bit more open than every single raid from MoP, although looking at the picture you can see where three possibly four wings of the raid will be split up for LFR. I thought this was pretty cool and we could possibly see some other upgrades to have it expand for it to work on a fully open area.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciraxais View Post
    Every single raid in MoP has been 100% linear,
    No. /thread. next try please

They said they would be specifically that. A lot less linear with more options in kill order or possibly skipping certain ones all together.

10+ Year Old Account
    And thus we conclude this introductory class to Flamebait Intercepting 101. Be sure to thank the instructor, ZwuckeL.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Siege isn't linear. Just barely but it's still not, therefore not 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciraxais View Post
    Every single raid in MoP has been 100% linear, so you move from one boss to the next to the end boss, this being caused by the introduction of LFR.
    Dragon Soul wasn't entirely linear (Yor'sahj and Zon'ozz) and that had LFR. Didn't really cause a problem as far as I can remember. Like a non-linear 5-man (think Temple of the Jade Serpent), the playerbase will quickly establish an order and mostly stick with it.

I think it has been mentioned by the devs that parts of the new raids will be non-linear but I couldn't give you a quote or a link offhand.

Like a non-linear 5-man (think Temple of the Jade Serpent), the playerbase will quickly establish an order and mostly stick with it.
    Or Halls of Stone in Wrath. There was always a few people who had to be unique and head to the right first.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Siege isn't linear. Just barely but it's still not, therefore not 100%.
    Dragon Soul is less linear than Siege. Yes, the worst raid ever is better then Siege and Throne in one aspect.

I can't wait for WoD in terms of the non-linear design. A hallway design is not the most exciting thing ever.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    It really makes no difference. Why is there a thread about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    Or Halls of Stone in Wrath. There was always a few people who had to be unique and head to the right first.
    Non linear dungeons only lead to people skipping bosses. Happend all the time in every xpac, even happend in ulduar / kara

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaedria View Post
    Dragon Soul wasn't entirely linear (Yor'sahj and Zon'ozz) and that had LFR. Didn't really cause a problem as far as I can remember. Like a non-linear 5-man (think Temple of the Jade Serpent), the playerbase will quickly establish an order and mostly stick with it.

I think it has been mentioned by the devs that parts of the new raids will be non-linear but I couldn't give you a quote or a link offhand.
    I think it was in Blackrock foundry they'll have the first four bosses be non linear, then the last two/three will only be able to be killed after the first four are.
    I think it's a cool idea for when people get stuck on a boss and are sick of wiping, lets them try something different. Although ultimatly I don't really care if the raids linear as long as the bosses are fun and models/boss rooms are awesome looking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    And thus we conclude this introductory class to Flamebait Intercepting 101. Be sure to thank the instructor, ZwuckeL.
    Yeah man he sure told him, by not reading the entire post. Pretty amazing stuff right here.

I don't really think the order in which you approach raid bosses matters. I think a better point of discussion however, is non-linear raid mechanics.

You can do SIegecrafter before Spoils and Thok if you want
    The first tier wasn't linear after you'd cleared some of the instances at least once

It doesn't really matter if it's linear or not, how many people do you know progress on H blackfuse before they do spoils and thok? None. You always go for the bosses that give you an easier time first.

Every single raid in MoP has been 100% linear
    Vizier? Tsulong? Four Kings? Hello? Dark Animus?

What? Did you even raid?
    Rabsies
    <The Horsemen> US25 - Shadowmoon US - 14/14 25H
    "Just play the game"

Quote Originally Posted by Adsertif View Post
    Vizier? Tsulong? Four Kings? Hello? Dark Animus?

What? Did you even raid?
    When can you do any of those before the bosses before them?
    What OP means is the raid never branches into different wings, it's to go boss, kill boss, walk straight to next boss. No picking which way to go. SoO is the only one with slight choice, but even then, it's very small.

There's a difference between optional and non-linear.

Ulduar had optional bosses, that was bad for guild unity (hence never seen again)

BWD was non-linear. You had to kill every boss to unlock the final boss, but you had a choice about which boss to kill.

The reason non-linear is good is it allows you to avoid spending time on useless farm bosses. For example, in SoO, people would skip bosses like Norushen and Iron Juggernaut (and others dependant on loot RNG) if they could, but they can't because they need to farm bosses like Immerseus on Dark Shaman who have amazing trinkets.

Non-linear gives choices with very minimal negatives and lets guilds spend more time on progression.

When can you do any of those before the bosses before them?
    I mean I assumed difficulty, but people jumped around instances that weren't in WF guilds, they skipped fights and went back to them.

I don't see what was cool about having non-linear dungeons, it felt overwhelming to me.
    Rabsies
    <The Horsemen> US25 - Shadowmoon US - 14/14 25H
    "Just play the game"

i think zul gurub and ruins of ahn quiraj had an amazing non-linear setup where you could do the bosses in wichever order you pleased. Id like more raids like that. Ulduar/BWD was pretty good but in the end you had to kill all the keeper bosses to move on so it was pretty linear anyway..

Icc felt just rediculus with its 3 wings each in one direction each.. just like naxx felt rediculus deisgniwse.. if you immagine whoever built naxx (some zealot worker) must have thought something like "lets design this place so that 12 bosses could be evenly and symmetricaly spread out and then make a topfloor that can only be accessed if you first visit each corner of the bottom floor wich force you to go throu all the 12 bosses on this level."
    The place didnt feel natrual but rather designed with boss wings in mind, wich kinda ruins immersion...