Critique our Shadow and Disc Priest please

Hi guys, we've been raiding for about 3 weeks now and uploaded our first world of logs. Our Shadow Priest and Disc Priest would like criticism on the logs.

h1v7tylvoixqi4kw- I'm unable to post links right now, but that is the end of the url.

Thanks guys we appreciate it.

Wickedsai is the shadow priest, Faker is the Disc Priest.

The shadow priest is pretty much ignoring Mind Blast and Devouring altogether. He cast Devouring a total of 4 times (using up 12 orbs), Mind Blast 20 times and SW: Death 3 times
    Without using DI he should have had 29 Mind Blasts, He had 20 with it. That fight if used on cd, should've been closer to 40, and because of that, he wouldve been able to get 13+ devourings.

He's apparently wasting orbs as well (23 orbs generated means you should see 7 devourings).

SWP uptime is reasonable, VT is really low.

Didn't use his troll racial on the pull or touch shadowfiend at all.

Looks like 4 casts of halo, With a 45 second cooldown that should be almost 6

His gearing is all screwed too, Gemming spirit, haste, crit and mastery at the same time. The pieces of gear he has are really poorly optimized as far as stats go, Not even capable of reaching the next haste breakpoint in it.

The disc priest needs to work on halo positioning a bit better, its not hitting nearly as many people as it should, Only cast 3 PWS the entire fight, so not really taking advantage of Rapture.

Archangel uptime is low.

Spirit Shell and Inner Focus usage is good though, and he's making sure to use it on Prayer of Healing.

Looking at the heal breakdown I get the impression he isn't tracking the absorb debuff properly. To see which players actually need healing and which don't.
    Last edited by Nestar; 2014-02-06 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nestar View Post
    The shadow priest is pretty much ignoring Mind Blast and Devouring altogether. He cast Devouring a total of 4 times (using up 12 orbs), Mind Blast 20 times and SW: Death 3 times
    Without using DI he should have had 29 Mind Blasts, He had 20 with it. That fight if used on cd, should've been closer to 40, and because of that, he wouldve been able to get 13+ devourings.

He's apparently wasting orbs as well (23 orbs generated means you should see 7 devourings).

His gearing is all screwed too, Gemming spirit, haste, crit and mastery at the same time. The pieces of gear he has are really poorly optimized as far as stats go, Not even capable of reaching the next haste breakpoint in it.

The disc priest needs to work on halo positioning a bit better, its not hitting nearly as many people as it should, Only cast 3 PWS the entire fight, so not really taking advantage of Rapture.

Archangel uptime is low.

Spirit Shell and Inner Focus usage is good though, and he's making sure to use it on Prayer of Healing.

Looking at the heal breakdown I get the impression he isn't tracking the absorb debuff properly. To see which players actually need healing and which don't.
    Thanks, I'll be sure to show this to our priests.

Quote Originally Posted by Nestar View Post

This is the Shadow Priest. I was pretty damn disappointed in my performance on this fight. It was abysmal at best. On Thok I often find myself completely destroyed by the Deafening Screech making casting VT, MB and even channeling MF nearly impossible. I often use Dark Star instead of Halo on that fight mostly due to the healing needed and the short CD which makes it hit a lot more often and a lot harder than halo since I can't stay at 25 yrds due to the stacking phases.

As for my troll racial, our pull was a bit messed up since a stacked melee hit half a second before the tank causing Thok to turn towards us making us all assume we were about to wipe before the tank got control. This completely threw off my normal beginning rotation which includes Pre-potting, Shadowfiend and Berserking.

As for my gemming/gear choices. I know they aren't the best but I keep finding really really mixed recommendations on what my BiS actually are. If I can get a definitive I can aim for it.

For thok, If you have a ton of trouble with it. Run both DI and FDCL. Not ideal talents, but the instant casts will help prevent getting interrupted and can be used to break casts as well. For myself I side-step movement right as he's casting to break my channels. Having timers for this are extremely important, Whether you look at his energy (he starts the cast at 100%) or use a dbm based timer is up to you.

As for DS/Halo talent choices I was looking primarily at Malkorok for the log analyzing, you are right to choose DS for thok, being in melee range severely gimps the damage halo can do and the extra healing is invaluable.

With gearing, Making sure whatever you choose to stack, make sure its consistent. If its secondary/haste, make sure you are gemming int/haste or exp/haste in red, haste in yellow and haste/spirit in blue for any sockets that are worth matching, the ones that are not worth matching treat as a yellow socket. I understand how bad the RNG can be when you're primarily using individual loot like lfr or flex. Even planning ahead and only rolling on bosses with haste gear can end up not being very rewarding. I believe I was seeing something around 12.4k haste was achievable in your gear with proper gemming. Replacing your cleave trinket as soon as possible would be ideal. One of the flaws with it is that it can only hit extraneous targets with the cleave proc, so on a fight like Malkorok it literally does 0 damage, The int proc on it is beat out by even some early lfr gear.

The spriest's overall logs are pretty low.

http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/us/blackrock/wickedsai/

Are you/Are they new to spriest? I highly recommend howtopriest.com as it is without a doubt the best site on the web for shadow priests. Overall you need to get good at (most importantly) spamming mind blast on cooldown. There is nothing you can do that is more important short of moving from bad that should stop you from mindblasting on cd. With that in mind, you need to keep 100% uptime on your dots (or as close as fight mech allows), and you need to know when to reapply such that you interfere with neither Insanity or casting mind blast. Once you can do this, make sure to learn dot snap shotting.

I am not new to shadow, began early LK, it's been my main since then with only a few months doing mainly disc right before Cata popped. Back then even though MB was priority it was commonplace to not clip your MF for any reason. I am pretty damn good about keep dots up a minimum of 98% of the time normally but on fights like Thok and Malk I would rather follow my RL directions to achieve a non-wipe. Like standing in purple on Malk and Mass dispelling/not being eaten on Thok, if that means i'm not at 100% dot uptime then fine. On fights like thok the interrupts make it impossible to keep VT up more than maybe 70% at times (about 40-50% during those phases alone). The idea of FDCL is interesting but i'm unsure if would be worth it. MS can't proc if I can't cast a VT to MAKE it proc plus I would loose Insanity during the chase phases dropping my already low dps even lower.

I and another Guild member decided to follow AstMrRobot's directions (which I don't normally use/like) and re-gem/reforge a lot of stuff hoping to reach the 41.74% haste cap.

us . battle . net/wow/en/character/blackrock/Wickedsai/advanced

On the dummy unbuffed this made my DPS jump about 40k but I have yet to try it in Normal. Please tell me what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedsai View Post
    I am not new to shadow, began early LK, it's been my main since then with only a few months doing mainly disc right before Cata popped. Back then even though MB was priority it was commonplace to not clip your MF for any reason. I am pretty damn good about keep dots up a minimum of 98% of the time normally but on fights like Thok and Malk I would rather follow my RL directions to achieve a non-wipe. Like standing in purple on Malk and Mass dispelling/not being eaten on Thok, if that means i'm not at 100% dot uptime then fine. On fights like thok the interrupts make it impossible to keep VT up more than maybe 70% at times (about 40-50% during those phases alone). The idea of FDCL is interesting but i'm unsure if would be worth it. MS can't proc if I can't cast a VT to MAKE it proc plus I would loose Insanity during the chase phases dropping my already low dps even lower.

I and another Guild member decided to follow AstMrRobot's directions (which I don't normally use/like) and re-gem/reforge a lot of stuff hoping to reach the 41.74% haste cap.

us . battle . net/wow/en/character/blackrock/Wickedsai/advanced

On the dummy unbuffed this made my DPS jump about 40k but I have yet to try it in Normal. Please tell me what you think.
    Proper link, http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...edsai/advanced

But ya, the gemming is a lot stronger than it was before. Remember to put highest priority on any orb generators, even above dot uptime and you should see some solid gains in raid.

15+ Year Old Account
    Generally these posts should be made in the "Fix my DPS" Thread stickied at the top, merging it
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter