Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by cabyio View Post
    Yeesh, those were the boring parts.
    Fair enough... maybe Merri and Pippin
    Looks like I will be flying in Draenor after all

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazeeth View Post
    Using technology to bend nature to your will seems like it'd backlash on you.
    No more real backlash than a Blood Knight bending the light to his will, or a Tauren using the Sun. Power is gained in many ways in this world. For a Gnome, technology seems to be the obvious answer.
    Looks like I will be flying in Draenor after all

  3. #43
    Personally, I'm of a mind that every race either already has or ought to have a perfectly good story for explaining every every race/class combo, especially the ones that are routinely rejected around here as impossible. Nothing is impossible. If there's one thing I've taken away from my time playing this game, it's that. Gnome paladins, druids, hunters and shamans, I can totally dig. All of those are stories waiting to be told. It would be nice to see goblins get a similar treatment though, since that's the side I'm stuck playing. But honestly, I think both of these races are going to continue to feel like they're missing something big without a tinker class thrown into the mix as well.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    Personally, I'm of a mind that every race either already has or ought to have a perfectly good story for explaining every every race/class combo, especially the ones that are routinely rejected around here as impossible. Nothing is impossible. If there's one thing I've taken away from my time playing this game, it's that. Gnome paladins, druids, hunters and shamans, I can totally dig. All of those are stories waiting to be told. It would be nice to see goblins get a similar treatment though, since that's the side I'm stuck playing. But honestly, I think both of these races are going to continue to feel like they're missing something big without a tinker class thrown into the mix as well.
    I am not one for shameless plugs, but I happen to agree. I think Goblins should get similar love, and these two races should have a Tinker Class. If we can't become anything else, maybe we should be the only two races to have tinkers. Might make us more noticeable in the world when if you want a tinker, you have to play a shorty
    Looks like I will be flying in Draenor after all

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Well, that's just adorable. Anyone who doesn't want this is some sort of plain vanilla savage who hates things that make them have feelings.
    blah, new sig... something something

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    I am not one for shameless plugs, but I happen to agree. I think Goblins should get similar love, and these two races should have a Tinker Class. If we can't become anything else, maybe we should be the only two races to have tinkers. Might make us more noticeable in the world when if you want a tinker, you have to play a shorty
    At the very least it would make it more difficult for the "gnomes are a joke race" crowd to ignore how big of an impact that race has on the state of the world. That there remain people, after nine years of game history, who insist that gnomes and their works are nothing more than a joke or a flavor thing is testament to how woefully underrepresented they are in the ongoing story. Whatever they do to bring them into the limelight, it needs to be a grand gesture if they want to countermand that effect.

    But aside from all that, I've liked the idea of gnome druids for quite a long time. That thematic contrast has the potential to make a very interesting character. And they should have gotten shamans and hunters when goblins did. And once they got priests, that kind of tore down the only barrier they had from paladinhood. Keeping those last three classes from them feels mighty arbitrary.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Well, that's just adorable. Anyone who doesn't want this is some sort of plain vanilla savage who hates things that make them have feelings.
    The face on the cat form is just freaking creepy.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    The face on the cat form is just freaking creepy.
    You could use the Night saber cub form from the battle pets.

    Looks like I will be flying in Draenor after all

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    You could use the Night saber cub form from the battle pets.
    What about robeast forms? Mecha-cat, cy-bear-netic organisms, metalkin, aluminum trees, midget subs and storm crows. Using a transforming mechanical shell to mimic the abilities of animals and plants, as would be the first approach any self-respecting gnome would take to the problem.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    What about robeast forms? Mecha-cat, cy-bear-netic organisms, metalkin, aluminum trees, midget subs and storm crows. Using a transforming mechanical shell to mimic the abilities of animals and plants, as would be the first approach any self-respecting gnome would take to the problem.
    I actually covered that in another thread I made: Race-Class Combo Gnome Druid. In it, I show the mechanical options to go with a couple of natural ones, using forms already in the game and preventing Blizz from having to make new skins.
    Looks like I will be flying in Draenor after all

  11. #51
    I am Murloc! Gothicshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Posts
    5,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    hunter yes.
    pally maybe.
    druid hell no.

    anyway i wish they give gnomeregan back to the gnomes in game(they have it in lore) so i dont have to deal with that damn dungeon anymore.
    Now I should point out in WOW lore Gnomes are the Steam punk Race, however in every other fantasy world going back to the origins of gnomish lore, Gnomes were always Druids.



    In D&D it's sort of the main trope that the Gnome is a shape shifting Beast Druid with a companion beast. Of course the coolest type of D&D gnome is the Kender, but then if WOW copied the Kender Gnomes would be Druids, Shaman, Rogues, Priests, and Mages.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Now I should point out in WOW lore Gnomes are the Steam punk Race, however in every other fantasy world going back to the origins of gnomish lore, Gnomes were always Druids.

    - snipped -

    In D&D it's sort of the main trope that the Gnome is a shape shifting Beast Druid with a companion beast. Of course the coolest type of D&D gnome is the Kender, but then if WOW copied the Kender Gnomes would be Druids, Shaman, Rogues, Priests, and Mages.
    Very interesting details! Have not played D&D in 15 years, so I have not kept up.
    Looks like I will be flying in Draenor after all

  13. #53
    I am Murloc! Gothicshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Posts
    5,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Very interesting details! Have not played D&D in 15 years, so I have not kept up.
    15 years ago was the Height of AD&D. 2nd Ed Gnomes had a spell to speak with animals and spells for illusion, just for being a Gnome. Grated they were also sort of shoe horned into being Bards. But back then Druids were not a common class, bards were.

    ---

    Here is a quote from the D&D wiki entry, it misses a few Subraces like Kender and Darksun Kender, which are now called Halflings for some reason Wizards of the Coast changed them to halflings instead of kender.

    Gnomes in Dungeons & Dragons have been further divided into various subraces:

    Rock gnomes are the standard gnome subrace of Third Edition. They live in burrows beneath rolling, wooded hills. Friends to animals, rock gnomes have a racial ability that allows them to speak with burrowing animals.
    Tinker gnomes are the common gnomes of the Dragonlance campaign setting. In that fictional universe, they dwell in the Mount Nevermind in the world of Krynn.
    Svirfneblin, or deep gnomes, dwell in cities deep underground. They are more dangerous than the common rock gnome.
    Forest gnomes are smaller than rock gnomes. They are a shy, secretive folk, living deep in wooded areas.[18]
    River Gnomes are graceful and quick. They live in homes dug into the side of riverbanks and speak with river dwelling animals in place of burrowing mammals. They are non-magical but gain +1 to initiative and are proficient swimmers.
    Arcane Gnomes are city dwellers. They generally keep to a small community within a larger city. Arcane gnomes are focused on the pursuit of knowledge making their populace, in large part, over-eager inventors or wizards.
    Chaos gnomes are the most flamboyant gnomes. Brightly colored and rare, they are strongly inclined towards chaos, as their name suggests.[19]
    Whisper gnomes lack the jovial outlook of other gnome races. Sly and suspicious, they are creatures of stealth.[19]
    Ice gnomes dwell in the region of Frostfell in the Eberron campaign setting
    Fire gnomes live on Bytopia, on the Outer Planes, where they help Flandal Steelskin, the Gnomish god of metal and crafting, in his work[original research?].
    Sky gnomes appear in the Creature Crucible Top Ballista PC2 published in 1989. They are cunning engineers living in the flying city Serraine above the World of Mystara.

    In the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, gnomes are also known as the "Forgotten Folk".

    Note: Gnomes are a highly adaptable people. A gnome relocated to new environs may take on many of the characteristic features of another subrace. A relocated population of gnomes may adapt in as short a time as a generation
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2014-03-03 at 10:13 PM.

  14. #54
    I'd like Gnome Paladins as some form of techno-paladin, but just having Gnome Hunters is fine enough. Their starting pet could just be a snow fox and I think that would fit well enough for them. Wouldn't be a creature that was out of place in Dun Morogh either.

  15. #55
    New classes for a race is not new lore.

    That said, Gnomes can be Warriors and they can be Priests, so why not Paladins? Gnome Hunters also make sense.

    Gnome Druids and Gnome Shaman do not make sense. Goblin Shaman don't make sense either and should never have happened.

  16. #56
    I think that Gnome Druids are conceptually stupid but that picture of them implying that they shapeshift into the mini pet models as their alternate form melted my heart.

    I don't see any real need for more Gnome classes. But I'd love to see more general Gnome lore.

    3DS Friendcode: 0705 - 3279 - 0173
    Add me for Pokemon / Bravely Default
    Trainer Name: Bazlyn

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Very interesting details! Have not played D&D in 15 years, so I have not kept up.
    That is because it isn't true. It may be true in 4th Edition or later, but it was definately not true in 3.5, 3, 2, Advanced D&D or Basic D&D.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Karnak View Post
    That is because it isn't true. It may be true in 4th Edition or later, but it was definately not true in 3.5, 3, 2, Advanced D&D or Basic D&D.
    Gnome-druid-build for AD&D 3.0.

    Also - AD&D 2nd ed
    http://dark-wolf.weebly.com/add-2---druids-guide.html
    Halflings (gnomes) could be certain branches of Druid.
    Last edited by Walter II; 2014-03-03 at 10:14 PM.
    Looks like I will be flying in Draenor after all

  19. #59
    I am Murloc! Gothicshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Posts
    5,067
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    I don't see any real need for more Gnome classes. But I'd love to see more general Gnome lore.
    Gnome need hunters. It fits the lore, and explains why every NPC gnome runs around shooting guns and players can't.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Gnome need hunters. It fits the lore, and explains why every NPC gnome runs around shooting guns and players can't.
    My rogue used to... thanks a lot Cataclysm.
    Looks like I will be flying in Draenor after all

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •