Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

Death of the PC? Sony axes its computer arm and joins list of companies focussing on

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...s-tablets.html

Sony is closing down its PC division to focus on cameras and phones
    The closure will see the loss of 5,000 jobs across the firm's global offices
    It will also focus on its TV division, and the Playstation and Xperia brands
    While the Vaio notebook brand is to be sold to Japan Industrial Partners
    Japanese tech giant has been making personal computers since 1982
    It is predicted to make a loss of 110 billion yen (£665m) this financial year
    By VICTORIA WOOLLASTON

PUBLISHED: 15:31, 6 February 2014 | UPDATED: 15:36, 6 February 2014

Sony has delivered another nail in the PC coffin by announcing plans to stop making its personal computers to focus on cameras, smartphones and games consoles.

Amid what it described as ‘drastic’ changes in the industry, the Japanese firm has decided to ditch the loss-making side of the business, after more than 30 years, as part of a shake-up which will see 5,000 people lose their jobs.

Sony also said it will be putting extra focus into is TV section to bring back profit by concentrating on sales of high-end models.

Sony is to stop making PCs and laptops after more than 30 years to focus on cameras, smartphones and games consoles. The plans will see the loss of 5,000 jobs worldwide. The tech giant also announced it was selling its Vaio brand of notebooks, pictured, to to Japan Industrial Partners (JIP)

SONY'S FINANCIAL RISE AND FALL
    The news about the closure of its PC division comes as Sony predicted it will make a loss of 110 billion yen (£665million) for the current financial year.

This follows a 43 billion yen (£260 million) profit in the year ending March 2013.

However there was a 27 billion yen (£163 million) profit for the third quarter, helped by improved sales of its smartphones and the launch of its Playstation 4 games console.

Sony said it would cut its global workforce by about 3 per cent by the end of March next year, with 1,500 job losses in Japan and 3,500 overseas.

Sony launched its first 8-bit personal computer, the SMC-70, featuring BASIC computer language and 3.5-inch floppy drive, in 1982.

More recently it has developed a range of slimline ‘notebook’ Vaio devices.

Sony said neither its TV nor PC businesses are expected to make a profit in the current financial year, and aims to sell Vaio to Japan Industrial Partners (JIP) by the end of next month.

Sony has been challenged by stiff competition from Samsung and Apple, and plans to use its now three core businesses to drive growth in electronics, which include cameras, the Playstation, and Xperia smartphones.

The company said: ‘Following a comprehensive analysis of factors, including the drastic changes in the global PC industry.

The news about the closure of its PC division comes as Sony predicted it will make a loss of 110 billion yen (£665million) for the current financial year. However there was a 27 billion yen (£163 million) profit for the third quarter, helped by sales of Playstation products, pictured on display in Tokyo

'The company has determined that concentrating its mobile product line-up on smartphones and tablets and transferring its PC business to a new company established by JIP is the optimal solution.

‘As part of the business transfer to JIP, Sony will cease planning, design and development of PC products. Manufacturing and sales will also be discontinued after the spring 2014 line-up to be launched globally.

‘Even after Sony withdraws from the PC market, Sony customers will continue to receive aftercare customer services.’

Sony launched its first 8-bit personal computer, the SMC-70, pictured, featuring BASIC computer language and 3.5-inch floppy drive, in 1982. Since then Sony has been challenged by stiff competition from Samsung and Apple

The news came as the company predicted it would make a loss of 110 billion yen (£665million) for the current financial year.

This follows a 43 billion yen (£260 million) profit in the year ending March 2013.

However there was a 27 billion yen (£163 million) profit for the third quarter, helped by improved sales of its smartphones and the launch of its Playstation 4 games console.

Sony said it would cut its global workforce by about 3 per cent by the end of March next year, with 1,500 job losses in Japan and 3,500 overseas.

Have to admit, I didn't even know Sony made PCs.

Good. Sony's been losing money on its PC division for years, and their equipment is just middle of the road for quality and being on the upper end (for PCs) of price for what you actually get.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

I used to work for them, once sold a $4000 US TX Model Laptop to Chris Carpenter (MLB pitcher)

I got layed off almost 3 years ago when they downsized.

How does sony, who I didnt even know still made computers, leaving the PC market equate to "Death of the PC"?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    And nothing of value was lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Have to admit, I didn't even know Sony made PCs.
    Mainly just laptops and iMac-esque monitor/touch-sceen displays

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    How does sony, who I didnt even know still made computers, leaving the PC market equate to "Death of the PC"?
    dailymail.co.uk

Deleted
    cuz op is a drama lama

10+ Year Old Account
    Not like this is any kind of nail in a coffin for PC gaming. Nobody bought Sony PCs anyways.

Trying to figure this out as well.

Not death of the PC. Necessary industry consolidation.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its not the death of the PC. I remember Vaio making a big push for a market share a few years back (heaps of advertisng / product placement) but thats all I really remember.

Not really relevant, but I wonder if they still make those portable DVD players.

Meanwhile, Lenovo is making bank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Vaio's are OK, but they are way overpriced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

So PCs are dead because Sony will no longer pump out their overpriced trash that no one with any sense bought to begin with?

Yeah.....no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because Sony cut an area doesn't mean its the death of PC... its like saying Microsoft cut Zune so its the death of MP3's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Yeah TV's, notebooks, phones, cameras, and playstation's are where they need to focus anyway. Samsuck is really catching ground on them on every single freaken one of those besides the EPIX PRAYSTATION

10+ Year Old Account
    They only sold like 82 million PC last quarter compared to 88 million pcs that same quarter in 2012. Oh noes at that rate we only have a decade left!
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.