Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Not been harassed but have harassed.

Was this guy on my realm who had a blog and I came across it. I didn't exactly like the guy, I found out he had relationship problems and pestered him about it and I also found out he was transgender and well, went full retard on him. He got all paranoid over it. I got known for being somewhat of an ass on the server in the end.

Fucked over a guild member when I was the webmaster of a guild I was in, messed about with him so he flipped due to him defending someone who had posted the guildmasters rl personal info straight out on trade chat, thinking it wasn't that bad. He ended up migrating away from the realm in the end, something I laughed at. The one he was defending got banned as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyana View Post
    I know it's a common thing to think, but if it hasn't happened so far, I doubt it ever will. I should be like a perv magnet according to the people there but I've never even had anything close to that. I believe it takes two to tango and there's a lot of obvious things I can do (or not do) to avoid getting harassed. Even though I might act like "harass me" on forums, I'm very careful with where I give my personal info, and I don't hardcore flirt with crazies, so I can't really think of any reason why or how would I get harassed.
    Doubt all you want. Piss off the right person and it can happen. Just because you think someone participates doesn't mean they do. All kinds of victims are told that crap. Again, get some empathy. You don't have to go through it to know someone else feels they are (even if you disagree) and know helping them is preferrable to being judgemental.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I've lived half my life in Britain and the other half in Europe and America. I encountered overly sensitive people in all of them. That was my personal experience and others will surely be different. However, one persons view on the few people they meet in life, cannot suddenly categorize an entire country.
    It's just make belief.

A lot of people want to make make belief ideas based on their motives and then fail to recognize how one is objective about something.

Which is why an eternal crusade against emotional reasoning must always be upheld.

Quote Originally Posted by Doorsfan View Post
    People randomly posting nude pics without consent is border-line sexual harassment if it's not welcomed.

I doubt that setting that standard is "This is as normal as gets" - Cuz it ain't.
    I could post that same picture in this thread and it wouldn't be taken down, unless the body of a man is *scary*. It's basically a shirtless picture, what part of *used paint to remove personal area* didn't people understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    Heh, your story made me remember the one about the MMO-C moderator who asked if I wanted a picture of him wearing a hat. Unwittingly I said yes and got a picture of him wearing nothing but a strategically placed hat. To be fair I just found it funny though, he's a cool guy.
    hah yeah people take things too seriously sometimes.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspect of Death View Post
    I could post that same picture in this thread and it wouldn't be taken down, unless the body of a man is *scary*. It's basically a shirtless picture, what part of *used paint to remove personal area* didn't people understand.
    Not that it's scary. Just that if it's not welcomed nor asked for - You are simply doing borderline sexual harassment.

It's plain logic - what of it did you not understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunaka View Post
    Doubt all you want. Piss off the right person and it can happen. Just because you think someone participates doesn't mean they do. All kinds of victims are told that crap. Again, get some empathy. You don't have to go through it to know someone else feels they are (even if you disagree) and know helping them is preferrable to being judgemental.
    I have empathy, but they don't have my sympathy. I hate that the US has become a country of professional victims.

Take the proper measures to protect yourself, and the probability of you being a victim to anyone is miniscule.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorsfan View Post
    Not that it's scary. Just that if it's not welcomed nor asked for - You are simply doing borderline sexual harassment.

It's plain logic - what of it did you not understand.
    It is harmless, what he did was no worse than linking a man wearing jogging shorts, you have to be very thin skinned to call it harassment.

Eh, if it obviously had something there, or the removed bit can be inferred to be the package, it is sexual harassment to a lot of folks. What matters is the audience, not intent. That said, depending on context, some people may overreact.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    It is harmless, what he did was no worse than linking a man wearing jogging shorts, you have to be very thin skinned to call it harassment.
    Just that if it's not welcomed nor asked for - Reading comprehensions.

If you forcably put pictures to someone who has not asked and is not welcoming of your pressence to it - you are harassing them by trying to force something onto them. The content being irrelevant as far as anyone could be concerned - It is a label in this context.

Logic - Start using it.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Take the proper measures to protect yourself, and the probability of you being a victim to anyone is miniscule.
    I've been harassed multiple times by various assholes. I dealt with it. Help and empathy doesn't mean pity. Nor does harassment mean attention-whoring victim.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Online harassment and stalking is a real thing, in most cases is just about growing a thicker skin towards trolls but real stalking and general creepiness do happen.
    And unplugging the damned internet cable, or changing your e-mails / deleting stalkers from the list, blocking the cell phone number of the one who's harassing, and pretty much all the precautions and actions available before the harassment becomes physical.
    This is the reason there's no such a thing as "online bullying" ( unless you deal with extremely efficient hackers )

10+ Year Old Account
    Well its very easy to avoid geting the intenet trolls (and other beings) of your back.
    If they ask you for a personal information, always lie. Every time when some1 asks me in wow how old i am i will tell them a year from 80-5. (one example)
    Sometimes i will pretend i am a 5 year old girl, then in next one i will pretend i am 66 years old worker. Worst thing you can do on this forum is to put a contact information under your avatar.

If you want your harraser dudes off your back feed them with false information. More false info the better.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Once when I was playing Star Trek online, this random bloke took a special liking to me and was suggesting some pretty outrageous things. I thought he was just joking and playing around so I went along with it for a while, after a few days he had himself convinced that I had asked him to move to the UK (he was american) and move in with me, he then started to threaten to kill himself in fleet (STO guild) chat. He was kicked from the fleet, I blocked him on chat but being a free to play game he just kept making random new accounts and bothering me all the time, it got to a point where I did not trust any new player in the game and I had to quit playing.

TLDR: Stick to subscription based games if you want to avoid loonies.
    So you didnt contact cryptic? Who would in turn have contacted his local law enforcement?

Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    And unplugging the damned internet cable, or changing your e-mails / deleting stalkers from the list, blocking the cell phone number of the one who's harassing, and pretty much all the precautions and actions available before the harassment becomes physical.
    This is the reason there's no such a thing as "online bullying" ( unless you deal with extremely efficient hackers )
    Getting to the point where you have to change contact info or alter your life is well past normal harassment lines, why not online?

\o/

Quote Originally Posted by Sunaka View Post
    Eh, if it obviously had something there, or the removed bit can be inferred to be the package, it is sexual harassment to a lot of folks.
    If people know how the male body looks, then it's pretty obvious that there is something *there*.

If i was wearing a boxer, you would know what was under it. If i used the paint program to paint a boxer in that picture, then you also would know what was under it.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

Deleted
    Nope, unless reading the Gun control thread and watching people argue about how we should ban cars counts. It's fucking metally distressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I've lived half my life in Britain and the other half in Europe (Belgium/Germany) and America. I encountered overly sensitive people in all of them. That was my personal experience and others will surely be different. However, one persons view on the few people they meet in life cannot suddenly categorize an entire country.
    It is a bit more than "a few". A few thousand is more like it......I am not as young as I wish I was.

Of course you can encounter overly sensitive people anywhere in the world. The general tone of conversation tend to have similarities though and will influence how you react.

Please note that I am not talking about personality types here. This is real superficial stuff that unfortunately is a lot more important than it should be.

If people know how the male body looks, then it's pretty obvious that there is something *there*.

If i was wearing a boxer, you would know what was under it. If i used the paint program to paint a boxer in that picture, then you also would know what was under it.
    Obviously I meant the picture, not the body. Regardless, it's still the target and authoritative party discretion, not sender. I wouldn't want the picture, and I'd trash it. But if it kept getting sent, it'd get uncomfortable. Sometimes that line is first send. I dunno your tastes, but maybe a pic of a 200kg woman would be your line, for instance.
    Last edited by Sunaka; 2014-02-07 at 03:14 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Online bullying is a thing, yes.
    Yes it is. but people should be educated and it is down to parents to ensure their childs safety to prevent said bullying and deal with it appropriatly. If your an adult on the other hand and don't have the wits to do something about it well..

Quote Originally Posted by Deyana View Post
    So, I was just visiting another forum and there was a topic "have you been harassed by any other member here". It was closed soon but in that little time I managed to get into fight with a couple of people.
    Basically it was about me saying "I wish I was, it's not possible to be harassed online", then people proceeding to call me either a troll or dangerously naive and new to the internet (yeah lol, 10+ years of experience, including some of the worst troll sites, guess I'm really new) and when I asked for some real arguments, it was something like "they can hack you, steal all your personal info, harass your friends and family, find you irl" yada yada...

Now my questions: first of all, is this oversensitivity some kind of American thing?
    Second and more important: have you been harassed online, and what have they actually done? "Offended you" or "made you feel uncomfortable" don't count. Only looking for real cases.
    If I could downvote posts on MMO-Champion, I'd downvote yours. Your assumption seems to be that because you have never been harassed online, it doesn't happen. Don't you see how, well, stupid that is? I've never been stabbed, does that mean no one else has ever been stabbed or that they're not allowed to want things done about their attacker?