Poll: Is this outrage justified or stupid?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    My primary school had several celebrations of other cultures. Mostly asian cultures as that made up a decent percent of our Schools population. We ALWAYS had food that was associated with those culutres to try for lunch. There was never any fuss even when it blatantly played to stereotypes... we had an Indian style meal where you could try different curries, spiced treats and rices etc... pretty much as stereotypical as it gets and everyone loved it.

I know it's not exaclty the same but heck... it ain't that different either.

The media, and the world in general needs to learn to tell the difference between actual racism and harmless fun.

I don't get offended when people say all English people have bad teeth and look like they belong on the Jeremy Kyle show. Nor did I get offended by the movie entitled 'White men can't jump', but I have the feeling if movies were released called 'Black men can't swim' and 'Asian men can't drive' hysteria would be drummed up, and not just by people of those ethnicities, journalists of all races seem to jump at the chance to spark a good old fashioned race war these days and all the politically correct folk seem to jump at the chance to be offended on someones behalf. Sigh...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    If they decide to stop that one, they can send all of it to me.
    you will be behind me

that menu sounds delicious and I'm white as snow.
    Well maybe take off that costume once in a while and you wouldn't be so white. OR take a hot shower in that costume and you'll be red blue and black.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    you will be behind me
    is this now erotic?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

15+ Year Old Account
    I will be upset if you sere king cakes during mardi gras!
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account

Also, Stow, OH! Used to live in Northampton & Cuyahoga Falls <3
    kintsukuroi
    ‘golden repair’, is the Japanese art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer. The aesthetic philosophy focuses on imperfections rather than attempting to disguise them, with the intention that the piece becomes both more valuable and more beautiful because of its history and for having been broken.

While this is clearly very offensive... what I don't understand (as a white englishman), is WHY is chicken and watermelon offensive?

Is this like some old racist joke where black people like chicken? The joke being that they like chicken?... I'm not sure I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    While this is clearly very offensive... what I don't understand (as a white englishman), is WHY is chicken and watermelon offensive?

Is this like some old racist joke where black people like chicken? The joke being that they like chicken?... I'm not sure I get it.
    That's pretty much the idea. It's a stereotype that black people don't try to fight, but get offended on occasion.

I can't see why anyone thought the menu choice was a good idea for "Black History Month"-type offerings, simply because it has little to do with black history. I think it's stupid, not offensive, but I'm not black.
    Last edited by Sunaka; 2014-02-08 at 03:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know how you solve racism? You ignore it unless it’s actually quantifiably hurting you. You act like Zanag from Spirestone used to act. He (a black guy) would say that he was going to make a fried chicken and watermelon sandwich on cotton bread whenever he was going to go AFK for a min in raids.

You don’t like racism or even anything that you can connect to racism? Ignore it and/or laugh at it like the rest of us. 99% of the time, the "problem" is then solved.

Was anyone harmed by this menu? No? Then the people complaining about it are the problem, not the menu. There would be no problem without those people being angry over something that is quantifiably harming neither them or anyone else.
    Last edited by DEATHETERNAL; 2014-02-08 at 03:36 AM.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

So i did a little research into the origins of the stereotype of chicken and watermelon after seeing this topic. It seems that these food stereotypes date back a hundred+ years and were used as insults due to the method of eating.

Eating food with your hands = dirty/unclean/uncivilized/bad table manners etc

I now find it funny that people still use watermelon and fried chicken as an insult considering the idea of table manners and being civilized faded a very long time ago.

Deleted
    is this now erotic?
    only if your reaching for a Bockwurst...

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i don't see how fried chicken and watermelon is racist, or cornbread. i mean, it's southern food, not black food. you ain't southern if you don't love you some fried chicken.
    Nothing wrong with cornbread, chicken or watermelon, but serving it special for BLACK HISTORY MONTH is a little racist. Funny, but racist.