Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    Not slow, the speed limit.
    It's been proven that the safest speed to drive is the speed of traffic.

If everyone is driving slow, it's dangerous to drive significantly faster.
    If everyone is driving fast, it's dangerous to drive significantly slower.

Adapting to the flow of traffic is better for safety than blindly following the speed limit.

The speed limit exists because most people want to drive faster and it's supposed to just put a cap on that, however if people are ignoring it you just cause more danger by getting in their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixidron View Post
    But if you are driving at the speed limit, you are NOT driving slowly. You are driving at the speed recommended by whoever it is in your country that determines what speed is sensible and safe to drive at.
    If it creates additional traffic, that is something that should be taken up with the governing body.
    Driving at the posted speed limit is not dangerous. People driving like morons above the speed limit is.
    I know in Ontario that on multi-lane highways you are to drive in the right most lane unless you are passing and you can be ticketed for not doing that.

People as a group are much better at determining what is safe and what isn't safe than some person/group that determines an artificial limit in a situation. Just because someone decided 65 was the appropriate speed to travel on a certain road doesn't make that true, it just makes it punishable with a fine. Sometimes doing the right thing in life goes against what is legal, and sitting in the "Fast lane" going the speed limit is one of those times.

And to enforce the thread on obstructing the flow of traffic, I've actually known someone who was in the "Fast lane" and got pulled over by law enforcement for traveling the speed limit and ticketed for obstructing the flow of traffic. So its a real thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    So in your mind, it should be legal to block traffic that wants to speed because you want to be a citizen cop? Get over yourself. Speeding 5 mph over the limit is almost never the cause of any accidents. You just want to put yourself on a pedestal and act like it's a noble thing to block traffic, because you might save a life! It's a douchebag move by douchebag drivers. If you can't pass the car in the slow lane, you don't enter the fast lane. It's that simple.
    Disagree, if I hit a child at 30mph, in comparison to 35mph or 40mph, there's a much larger likelihood the child will survive. And what the hell is wrong about wanting to save a life? If it saved your partner or family members life, i'm sure you'd be saying different. No need for personal childish attacks either.

Disagree, unless I am going 80 and suddenly break to 65 when there is alot of traffic behind me, THAT is dangerous, but if I even take the foot off the accelerator and drift down to 65 then that is fine, and if anyone crashes into me, or behind me in that situation, the UK law at least says that is their fault for being too close.
    You and the other guy keep mentioning fault. It's not a issue of fault or blame. The fact is if you are running in a pack of 50 people then gradually slow to a walk you upset the pace of all those that are around you. That then ripples backwards. So your simple act of slowing to a walk causes waves of conflict and upsetting of pace/rhythm.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

If I'm already going 10+ over the limit in the fast lane, I'm not going to switch over to the right lane whenever possible just to have to switch back as soon as I come up on the next slowpoke.

It bothers me when I'm doing 10+ and someone comes up on my ass and flashes their lights to have me move over when I'm already speeding enough to get a heafty ticket. Seriously, if you are the one guy on the road that needs to go 20 over, pass me on the right scrub.

Deleted
    Not sure of the rules in Denmark but in the UK there is no "fast lane" or slow lane". On motorways and dual carriage ways, the outside lanes are considered "overtaking lanes". It's a HUGE common misconception and drives many, many motorists up the wall with people sitting in the middle lane generally, apart from effectively turning a 3 lane road into a 2 lane road (as undertaking is illegal in the UK) it causes some people to do just that.

So, if you are not overtaking anyone then you should be traveling on the inside most lane that is available. Basically move over, there will always be someone traveling quicker than you, always.

I know that in Germany on the autobahns when a car gets up behind you they put their indicator on, a polite way of saying please move over, most do.

In the US it's a free for all, any lane is fair game and seeing Brits holidaying in Orlando for the first time and watching them join the I4 from the Beeline is a not fun.

All this said the speedo on your car may not read correctly, they can be up to 10% out, especially if the car has larger wheels than expected, older cars too have less accurate speedo's, so you may think you are doing the speed limit when in fact you are not. the reverse is also true, your speedo may be 100% accurate whilst the guy behind you is 10% short so he thinks you are traveling "slowly". In the end isn't it just polite to pull over, let them pass, then pull out again. No harm, no foul.

Finally a little tip for those that like to marginally exceed the speed limit, wait for one of those bozo's to park himself (always a bloke) behind you, flash his lights etc, move over, let him go, then drop back around 800m and speed up, you have a "blocker" in effect, if there is a police car hiding, or an unmarked police car in the traffic, the bozo effectively clears them out of your way. I have lost count of the times I have done this and seen the idiot at the side of the road a few miles down the road with the blues and twos flashing on a car parked right behind him. If you want to feel superior that's the way to go

LB.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixidron View Post
    But if you are driving at the speed limit, you are NOT driving slowly. You are driving at the speed recommended by whoever it is in your country that determines what speed is sensible and safe to drive at.
    If it creates additional traffic, that is something that should be taken up with the governing body.
    Driving at the posted speed limit is not dangerous. People driving like morons above the speed limit is.
    It doesn't matter, different people travel at different speeds, if there is traffic on the road faster than you, you should let them by.

Following the speed limit is good, allowing traffic to flow is also good. There's no reason you can't do both.

Sitting in the fast lane blocking people is not ideal. No reason you can't go the speed limit in another lane.

The innermost levels of hell are reserved for people who sit in the fast lane and only drive the speed limit. People who do so have no regard for others. OP is an idiot for even bothering to ask this question.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Of Course! However, if you are going 65 in a 65 zone and everyone else is going 80 you are the one causing the unsafe situation.
    I know where you are coming from, but driving at (as you put it) 65 in a 65 limit regardless of which lane you are driving in, should never be seen as an unsafe piece of driving. If you are weaving in and out of lanes, I could see that as a dangerous piece of driving. However, being in one lane, doing a steady speed (which is the maximum allowable by law) in that particular lane should give ANYONE who is driving behind you time to act accordingly. If they are doing for example 85, they will not (unless completely oblivious to their surroundings) be in a position where they can't react to your driving.

I'm not being a jerk or anything, I just agree with the viewpoint of Craakar and don't see why it should be illegal. If there is a problem due to people speeding, crack down on that, not people adhereing to the speed limit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    It's been proven that the safest speed to drive is the speed of traffic.

If everyone is driving slow, it's dangerous to drive significantly faster.
    If everyone is driving fast, it's dangerous to drive significantly slower..
    The former is obvious, i agree with it. The latter, no, at least according to UK law, no matter what, if someone drives into the back of me, it is THEIR fault, even if I have to emergency break because I thought I saw something on the road which I didn't, the car behind me is, as law states, supposed to leave a 2 second gap (which isn't practical, I know) from the car in front.

Quote Originally Posted by Devwar View Post

And to enforce the thread on obstructing the flow of traffic, I've actually known someone who was in the "Fast lane" and got pulled over by law enforcement for traveling the speed limit and ticketed for obstructing the flow of traffic. So its a real thing.
    Of course...because it is very easy to drastically slow down traffic for miles because of one person going the speed limit in the passing lane. That's something that could easily effect hundreds of drivers. Basically you are fucking shit up and messing with the fluidity of the traffic flow which could cause many OTHER problems for LEOs.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Keeping speeds down is safer. (people understand this)

Cars self sorting themselves by speed is also safer (people seem not to be able to grasp this)

It's not a matter of OR, it's a matter of AND.

Don't drive above the speed limit AND allow for good traffic flow.

Do f'ing both.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    If you're in the fast lane and someone is riding your arse or obviously going faster than you, change lanes then go back in. That's "generally" how it's done in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

You're not there to teach them the speed limit rules.
    Agreed. There are a good amount of people that don't understand this though. I guess taking long drives on interstate highways gave me a better understanding. Also, if someone is riding your ass why stay in that lane to begin with? Let them pass.

It's technically called the "passing lane", not the "fast lane". You're not supposed to stay in it because it's supposed to be for passing. It's far more dangerous to pass someone on their right (in america... it'd be the left in the UK) because that's the side of their car has a much larger blind spot.

The rule's there for a reason.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordbrummie View Post
    Not sure of the rules in Denmark but in the UK there is no "fast lane" or slow lane".
    I know, but I said 'fast lane' with apostrophes so people knew what I was talking about, I think it's a foolish name for it.

If you're going to drive the speed limit and no faster, stay out of the fast lane. Like many other people have said, disrupting or slowing the flow of traffic can be dangerous and it's not your job to enforce how fast people should be driving. Either move over for faster drivers or just stay out of the fast lane all together.

Why the aggressive answers? You're breaking the law, it's as simple as that, it's not OK because you have an emergency or are in a hurry.
    Because it's not YOUR place to force someone else to follow the law. There's plenty of legitimate reasons for someone to drive faster (woman in labor for one). If you want to enforce laws go be a cop. Otherwise don't be an asshole and park yourself in the fast lane. I hate people that do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    The former is obvious, i agree with it. The latter, no, at least according to UK law, no matter what, if someone drives into the back of me, it is THEIR fault, even if I have to emergency break because I thought I saw something on the road which I didn't, the car behind me is, as law states, supposed to leave a 2 second gap (which isn't practical, I know) from the car in front.
    Lack of fault ≠ safety.

Fault is a legal term. I'm talking safety.

What good is it that it was the other guy's fault if you're dead?