Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

WoW subs up - WoW no longer 'dying', but immortal, eternal~?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...on-Subscribers

Whenever WoW subs drop, many people act as if it's a death-knell for the game, clamoring that WoW is dying - not that it's just in decline as any game would be at its age, but as if the game will be shutting down servers in like a month.

Now that subs have gone up since last check, will there be a reversal of this stance? WoW rising from the grave, resurrected by some ethereal winged damsel who feels it's not WoW's time? I'm surprised I haven't seen one single thread to that effect.

Surely if a drop in subs heralds WoW's unavoidable demise like any minute now, an increase must indicate it is immortal and will endure forever, am I right? : p

Right! Long live Azeorth! *Hymn*

I guess SoO drew a crowd, but I cannot imagine that the subs will continue to rise before WoD hits. It will decline again, but the game won't die for years.
    Mother pus bucket!

Realistically, nothing shy of armageddon will actually succeed in killing WoW.

Extrapolation: by 2015, the number of subs will exceed the world's population!

No, it has to die, can't you hear the prophets' messages!?

I do find it kind of ironic that people are quick to jump on the death train and spam new topics about it every second when the subs fall, but once something positive happens the board is pretty silent about it. That's the human mind for you I suppose, no one wants to discuss the good things.

I do have a feeling it's going to be pretty uneven in the future though. I foresee a loss of subs in the long drought before WoD, but a big rise in subs once the expansion hits. It'll probably be quite the curve for the graphs. Overall the game will sustain itself though, no doubt about that, it's certainly not going to die anytime soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    WOW has at least 20 years left.

Carry on.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean by dying ?
    WoW won't die, there will always have players willing to play WoW.
    Game becoming heavily underpopulated compared to nowadays and content beeing no longer added (like "game is done now"), sure so.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePants999 View Post
    Extrapolation: by 2015, the number of subs will exceed the world's population!
    There is so much win in this post.

Deleted
    Year 2078.
    World of Warcraft: Draenor Revamped XII Deluxe.
    > no new features
    > introduced on mars
    > subscribers at 12 billion

Eh, it was expected.

I've played WoW for 8 years, and MoP has definitely been the low point. A lot of people are resubbing now in anticipation of WoD, including me. I hadn't been subbed for almost 9 months and then resubbed to get my SoO ahead of the curve achieve and finish leveling some characters.

If WoD ends up being a continuation of MoP, then the game will decline even further.

Most people who pick on the "WoW is dying" saying are either very new to the game and haven't seen what has happened or have played forever and can't see themselves not playing.

"Shrinking" would be a better term than "dying"

One of the only reasons MoP didn't lower the subs by a massive amount (7 million+ subs loss) is that there is no good alternative MMO that appeals to casuals.
    Last edited by Diaxx; 2014-02-07 at 07:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly, as you stated it is true that when people see any variation they clamor about the end being near. Thankfully, WoW will never, ever die. It is simply inevitable for people to always come back over and over again. Just ask anyone who has ever taken a break, or stopped playing, to explain the feeling they got when on that one day they thought of one of their characters or a place in the game and it felt new or as if it were calling their name. I have went through this a time or two and its quite a thrill jumping back into the fray after a couple months off.
    Why do we only travel outwards in space? Lets try going up or down.

Bring back Warcraft, for Chen's sake.

It's a simple matter to extrapolate on this data and see that by March 2029 WoW will have 20 million subscribers!

http://i.imgur.com/sbnwmDZ.png

EDIT: Ha took me too long to make the chart now I'm beaten to the punch.

Quote Originally Posted by sanlayn View Post
    Year 2078.
    > no new features
    > introduced on mars
    Isn't that the next expansion, WoD?

inb4: "thatsthejoke.jpg"
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falkan View Post
    Sadly, as you stated it is true that when people see any variation they clamor about the end being near. Thankfully, WoW will never, ever die. It is simply inevitable for people to always come back over and over again. Just ask anyone who has ever taken a break, or stopped playing, to explain the feeling they got when on that one day they thought of one of their characters or a place in the game and it felt new or as if it were calling their name. I have went through this a time or two and its quite a thrill jumping back into the fray after a couple months off.
    This is the most short-sighted, under-educated thing I have ever read in my entire life. People change, technology changes, the world changes. If you honestly think people will be playing WoW after the next 10 years are done, then you seriously need some help.

Just think of Runescape as an example. 10 years ago, it was the most popular game in the world. Now, even with all the money and time spent trying to make it better, the game is losing players at an insane rate. Tech changed, newer games came out, RS died.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I die I will erect a mausoleum to house the accomplishments of my avatars in the land of Azeroth. A list of my 20 characters leveled to 500 and a life size statue of my main being resurrected by a spirit healer will be housed inside. Since graves will have power and free wifi by then, a fund will be established henceforth to cover eternal payment to my account so that my descendants can carry on my legacy by playing my account inside my shrine forever.
    BAD WOLF

Honestly, it's a nice change of pace from all of the negativity.

It certainly shut up a lot of the "WoW is dying" spewers for a while.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sanlayn View Post
    Year 2078.
    > no new features
    > introduced on mars
    hahahaha awesome =D

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    I guess SoO drew a crowd, but I cannot imagine that the subs will continue to rise before WoD hits. It will decline again, but the game won't die for years.
    so from a buisness stand point: they better get WoD out before the end of this quarter

The best thing about it was that Jayican'tremembertherest's predictions were way off it made me warm and fuzzy inside.