Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Honestly, and I can't speak for all Americans, but we really don't care about the Olympics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The point is, it was shown live. If you want to watch it at another time, you are free to record it.
    or watch the re-runs, they were available too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Honestly, and I can't speak for all Americans, but we really don't care about the Olympics.
    Your country sent the second largest contingent on athletes to it
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    And you believe that media isn't privately owned in Europe? But maybe, the networks there value that the most, that makes them the most money... Viewers.
    No viewers, no advertisement customers.. Get the idea?
    And you're more qualified to tell a network what makes them money than their own analysts?

I'm pretty sure they have that covered.

And you believe that media isn't privately owned in Europe? But maybe, the networks there value that the most, that makes them the most money... Viewers.
    No viewers, no advertisement customers.. Get the idea?
    The networks here care about the money. Prime time ads for the opening ceremony won't be cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

Who was the first?

- - - Updated - - -

See, I didn't know that.

Honestly I can't remember the last time I've heard anyone here in the U.S. talk about the Olympics, other than to say its boring as hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumicide View Post
    From your thread title I thought they had done another "breaking news" interruption from some important issue like the NSA, to a stupid ass celebrity... the Olympics aren't really all that important tbh. But I do agree that our media is complete trash.
    No. it's about them repeating the same crap again..... And unlike some responses here might indicate, they've got heavily under fire last time with the Summer Olympics.

For this time, it appears, that it already starts again. NBC seems to be ignorant
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/5/538...live-streaming

And regarding the claim on page 1 about live streaming on NBC.
    http://fansided.com/2014/02/07/nbc-w...ning-ceremony/

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    NBC was advertising it to be on at 11am EST, was it not on?
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    Who was the first?
    Russia with a few last minute nominations.. Appears they couldn't let the US have the spotlight for most athletes lol

Quote Originally Posted by Milch View Post
    The networks here care about the money. Prime time ads for the opening ceremony won't be cheap.
    I watched it on BBC2, no adverts.

Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    Who was the first?
    I think Canada.

They also pay to broadcast it and rights to the Olympics are not cheap. Prime time placement brings out the big corporations ad revenue, unlike the 2am exercise video sales.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Babylonius View Post
    NBC was advertising it to be on at 11am EST, was it not on?
    After I've read the information, how they will not stream, I chose to watch the German ZDF stream. Which I prefer anyway, since they give more information about the various teams and their top athletes... The lineup of the participating nations isn't that boring then. Which it can be, when you see a few thousand people just walk around in a circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I watched it on BBC2, no adverts.

Grats, which is why I cut my broadcasting off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just finished watching the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics.

And once again, NBC has done the same bullshit, they've already pulled 2 years ago.

Around the globe the event is broadcasted live. But apparently the USA are part of another planet or something. At least that seems to be the idea of NBC..... No opening ceremony here in the US.

That's embarrassing, and somehow symptomatic for the media landscape in the US. Information is only available as the media suits fit, and when they believe it suits.

It's not whether one likes it or not. It's the principle that counts here. Speaking of freedoms.... Freedom of information suffers greatly in that sense..

Edit: I've watched a European stream...
    And this is not a pissing contest against the US itself, it's about the horrible media in the country.
    The Americans feel butthurt for boycotting the olympics in Russia in 1980, so Sochi is a way of reaffirming their childishness. I am amazed how much the western media really wants to destroy Russia's first Olympic games.

GO RUSSIA!!

NA ZDRAVJE RUSSI!
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    See, I didn't know that.

Honestly I can't remember the last time I've heard anyone here in the U.S. talk about the Olympics, other than to say its boring as hell.

We really only care about winning it. Bring up the Olympics to most American and they will just ask what the medal count was.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    I call BS on that.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    The Americans feel butthurt for boycotting the olympics in Russia in 1980, so Sochi is a way of reaffirming their childishness. I am amazed how much the western media really wants to destroy Russia's first Olympic games.

GO RUSSIA!!

NA ZDRAVJE RUSSI!
    They are holding it for prime time, in an attempt to garner more ratings. They are trying to get more people to watch it...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account

GO RUSSIA!!

NA ZDRAVJE RUSSI!
    Okay, from first hand experience..
    Does it surprise you, when I tell you how the commentators from Germany's ZDF praised the organization overall, and they've also reported how the athletes are pleased with the conditions of the event locations. They've mentioned "there are smaller problems here and there, but they seem to be fixable".

Gotta give the Russians kudos for stumping out the entire thing in basically less than 7 years, where others had often well over 10 years to prepare themselves.

10+ Year Old Account

GO RUSSIA!!

NA ZDRAVJE RUSSI!
    Huh? What does broadcasting the opening ceremonies at a reasonable hour have to do with childishness?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Huh? What does broadcasting the opening ceremonies at a reasonable hour have to do with childishness?
    Nothing, and he fails the reason for the thread lol