Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Naftc View Post
    Not at all, never met a straight guy to get offended by it either. They say thanks but not that way. Only think the people that actually get offended by it are highschoolers and really insecure dudes. Only because from experience growing up they thought it was calling them gay or something along those lines.
    I don't know about generalisations.... my nephew just turned 17 - and you would SWEAR that him and his group of 'best' friends were all lovers. They are nothing like guys were like back when *I* was in high school (granted - that WAS 30 years ago ;P) Now, it could be the way they were raised I guess - but they have no trouble showing affection, or with physical closeness.

As for compliments - it's an easy answer for me as a gay man, and while I won't just walk up to random strangers telling them they're hot, if it's someone I know at least reasonably well - I'll let them know (even moreso if there are others around - especially a girlfriend I know - nothing more fun than trying to make a straight guy blush )

I was asked to dance by a guy in a club once. I said no thanks and moved on with my evening. What more is there to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Saying you're hot isn't the same as hitting on you though. They can tell you you're hot without being disrespectful of your sexuality. If they then proceed to ask you out or try to make out with you or something, that's disrespectful, but a compliment never is.
    Nope. There's zero reason to approach someone in public and tell them that you're sexually attracted to them. Even more so when you know that they're not compatible with your sexual orientation.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Nah. I take no offense if a gay man compliments me. If it is a compliment, why should I?

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Nope. There's zero reason to approach someone in public and tell them that you're sexually attracted to them. Even more so when you know that they're not compatible with your sexual orientation.
    Huh? There can be a huge difference between telling someone they're hot - and being sexually attracted to them. I'm not attracted to women at all, yet even *I* know when one of my female friends looks good!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd feel very awkward about it. Long as it's not flirting or anything whatever. Never happened though. I don't like the way my face looks
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as it isn't a come-on i really don't mind, after all it is a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliandal View Post
    Huh? There can be a huge difference between telling someone they're hot - and being sexually attracted to them. I'm not attracted to women at all, yet even *I* know when one of my female friends looks good!
    Telling someone that you find them very attractive quite literally means that you are attracted to them. You know, how humans are instinctively sexually attracted to other humans. Pretty simple concept.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    I've told women they look hot before when I had no intention of starting a relationship before. I sometimes tell my friend Kristi she looks gorgeous with her boyfriend standing next to her. Paying someone a compliment is not the same thing as propositioning them.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

But the question is: would go tell that to a stranger you weren't attracted to? You might easily say it among friends sure and it doesn't even have to be in a joking manner and they won't make wrong conclusions about it... but to a stranger?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, doesn't bother me at all.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    But the question is: would go tell that to a stranger you weren't attracted to? You might easily say it among friends sure and it doesn't even have to be in a joking manner and they won't make wrong conclusions about it... but to a stranger?
    Presumably a stranger wouldn't know your orientation. Even then, it's still not necessarily a proposition, but rather a simple compliment.

I wouldn't get offended but it would probably make me a little uncomfortable.

Telling someone that you find them very attractive quite literally means that you are attracted to them. You know, how humans are instinctively sexually attracted to other humans. Pretty simple concept.
    Recognizing that someone looks good doesn't mean you are attracted to them. Saying you look good != I find you to be very attractive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Presumably a stranger wouldn't know your orientation. Even then, it's still not necessarily a proposition, but rather a simple compliment.
    It's unnecessary, especially when you know they're not of the same orientation. The only thing you can achieve is making someone feel awkward.

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    It's unnecessary, especially when you know they're not of the same orientation. The only thing you can achieve is making someone feel awkward.

Good rule of thumb, if something isn't appropriate at the work place, it likely isn't appropriate in public either.
    If a simple compliment makes you feel awkward, that's your fault, not theirs.

And "unnecessary?" I don't even know what you mean by that. Compliments are never necessary, but they sure are nice to receive.

Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    Recognizing that someone looks good doesn't mean you are attracted to them. Saying you look good != I find you to be very attractive.
    Good try at twisting words to suit your post, but I'll provide OP's direct wording for you:

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    tells you your hot or advances on you, how do you take it?
    So, your post/reply is irrelevant and not what we're discussing.

build pics

A compliment is a compliment. I give a simple "thanks bro" and move on.

If a simple compliment makes you feel awkward, that's your fault, not theirs.

And "unnecessary?" I don't even know what you mean by that. Compliments are never necessary, but they sure are nice to receive.
    Clearly you're again twisting a hypothetical situation. Just as the person above, I'll give you a quick refresher as to what OP asked:

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    tells you your hot or advances on you, how do you take it?
    Those aren't simple compliments, that's hitting on someone. A gay person approaching someone they know is straight and doing that is stupid, end of story.

build pics

I don't know about generalisations.... my nephew just turned 17 - and you would SWEAR that him and his group of 'best' friends were all lovers. They are nothing like guys were like back when *I* was in high school (granted - that WAS 30 years ago ;P) Now, it could be the way they were raised I guess - but they have no trouble showing affection, or with physical closeness.

As for compliments - it's an easy answer for me as a gay man, and while I won't just walk up to random strangers telling them they're hot, if it's someone I know at least reasonably well - I'll let them know (even moreso if there are others around - especially a girlfriend I know - nothing more fun than trying to make a straight guy blush )
    Guess kids changed alot last i was in HS was 12-13 yearish a go. Was assuming much hasn't changed. Meh random guys don't take offense at least around where i live they just give the not that way response.