Do I need to purchase Windows?

So I have a MSI H55M-P33 mobo, I am switching to http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iRjs
    Which is a new socket, New Proc, and a new HD which is a SSD. I will most likely get the SSD later on....

Will I need to purchase Windows all over again? I bought this computer pre-built from Cyberpower.

Also when is the time I have to purchase Windows again?
    Author: Ulysses S. Grant (A True Raider & PvPr)

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    You can just clone your current HD to the SSD if you really want to do it right you would use both the current HDD and install the SSD along with it. You can then since you are getting a smaller SSD put your main programs on the SSD and put your music files and all the extra BS on the HDD. You should also be able to just install Windows on the new SSD if you have an issue call them and say hey new SSD going in they will tell you a code to type in.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2014-02-08 at 02:29 AM.

How do I clone?
    and
    How do I just clone what I want to it? I do not want everything on the SSD, just windows stuff
    Author: Ulysses S. Grant (A True Raider & PvPr)

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxemiss View Post
    How do I clone?
    and
    How do I just clone what I want to it? I do not want everything on the SSD, just windows stuff
    You need cloning software. Acronis (Akronis?) is really good, I used that.

10+ Year Old Account
    If changing boards, cloning pretty much isn't an option. Just do a clean install of windows, using the key that's on the sticker of your current system. All programs should go on the SSD, period. Stuff like movies/music can go on the HDD
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I purchased a SSD for my boyfriend for Christmas and we put it in his old computer with a new copy of Windows 7. We then built him an entirely new system and after installing Windows and trying to authenticate, it told us that we could not use the key on that computer. I then used the option to call the automated system and after giving all the numbers that it required, it gave me numbers to type in and it authenticated it on that system.

I think the thing is to tell the system that you're going to have this key installed only on one computer. Good luck.
    CPU - i9 9900k | CPU Cooler - Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | Motherboard - MSI Z390 Godlike | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 2080 Ti
    RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | SSD - 2x Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVMe | PSU - EVGA Supernova 750w P2 |Case - Corsair Air 540

Deleted
    Download a iso from digital river (if you dont have a Windows disc still) and use the Windows sticker key you already own.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    If changing boards, cloning pretty much isn't an option. Just do a clean install of windows, using the key that's on the sticker of your current system. All programs should go on the SSD, period. Stuff like movies/music can go on the HDD
    This.

The only way to get away with doing anything close to cloning a drive is with a matching board (or pretty damn close). Otherwise windows tends to just blue screen and restart when you try to run it. Do a clean install.

10+ Year Old Account
    The last time I ordered from Cyber Power they sent my OEM Windows disk with the system. They also put the sticker with the Windows Key on the side of the case. The last time I ordered from them was more than 5 years ago so maybe things have changed. That being said that key will work with windows on a new computer. However, as someone above mentioned you may have to call them. I have heard people just tell them they had their motherboard replaced because if you mention you bought a new computer they will force you to buy another license. With that being said and knock on wood, I have never had to call Microsoft when I used my same old Windows XP disk on multiple computers. I have only used my Windows 7 disk on 2 different computers with any issues. Both disk were OEM copies. I think a retail copy comes with 3 different license but may be wrong.
    I support a cash shop in WoW!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    IF you have a sticker, this is an option. If you don't, this is an option: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/produc...pkeyfinder.htm

When dealing with other individual's computers, I typically will not reinstall Windows as the client will usually be unhappy with the loss of specific settings/familiarities.

Instead, there is a useful alternative that Microsoft intended for businesses and large-scale deployments: Sysprep. It actually works quite nicely for this situation (swapping out motherboard) as well.

Tutorial: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-computer.html

May not be for everyone - I would rather change around partition sizes, alter the boot record, clone a disk, or copy a Windows installation than reinstall Windows.
    Last edited by Simca; 2014-02-08 at 08:18 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

I smoke way to much pot and I lose my windows key about every 3-4 months (Win 7 Pro, OEM). I always use Belarc Advisor to figure it out, easy to use and works like a charm. For me at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    Download a iso from digital river (if you dont have a Windows disc still) and use the Windows sticker key you already own.
    Didn't microsoft go on a witchhunt and get everyone to remove the ISO's? so that they can only be downloaded from their own website on production of a valid key?

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Didn't microsoft go on a witchhunt and get everyone to remove the ISO's? so that they can only be downloaded from their own website on production of a valid key?
    Yeah I just had to do a fresh install myself about a week ago, couldn't find one for the life of me. Ended up having to torrent a pirated copy and then validate afterwards with my own Key.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Digital River were used by Microsoft themselves as a distribution service, as digital purchasers were were directed there to download.
    Wouldn't solve anything by doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.