High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Monitor Problems

Any help with the following issue would be highly appreciated. I just received a used computer from a friend that had everything minus a HDD. Put in my current HDD from older computer which is fairly new, then installed windows 7 32 bit on it updating from windows xp. I've went through all of the windows updates at this point, and installed the drivers for the new hardware etc. I am currently having a problem though with my monitor and unsure how to fix it. My monitor will go completely black at times for just a few seconds if that then come back to its original state. For example, if I am streaming a tv show in full-screen mode, if the colors on the screen become too dark, the monitor will go black for a second until the colors on the screen brighten back up. I confirmed the monitor was doing this based on the darkness of the screen when one of the shows I was streaming went completely dark as when it is going on commercial break. I then paused it at that moment, made it to full screen, and monitor immediately went blank/black. It would not show the play button or my mouse button in this full screen mode or the player bar at the bottom of the full screen video until I hit escape to exit full screen, then everything came back up. Does anyone know what could be causing this issue?

UPDATE
    I discovered the problem was related to my monitor. A setting on my ASUS monitor was causing the monitor to black-out in the manner I described. In case anyone is wondering, it was called ASCR or ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio setting, and it was turned on.
    Last edited by Saevio; 2014-02-09 at 05:08 AM.

Just a little information we may need: What connector are you using VGA? DVI? VGI-DVI adapter. Is it Onboard video or a dedicated GPU?

If we rule out the GPU then, unfortunately issues like these need to be troubleshooted by changing monitors/cords.

Lastly I'll refer you to http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ed-Information

Agreed we need more information about your system.