15+ Year Old Account

using surrond sound speakers

im having an issue using my home system surround sound system as the audio is only coming out from the sub woofer and not the the other speakers the back of the tv has the standard red/white/green/blue/orange/ connections currently i'm using an male/female connector to connect to the headphone jack into the tv as if i was using my soundbar

any help would be appericated ty

setup 47 inch plasma tv
    rca home theater surround system

Have you checked the tv audio settings? I remember having a similar issue awhile ago and all that was required was to set the audio options to surround.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have an actual home theater surround system, with a receiver and speakers then you shouldnt be using any audio with the TV at all. The cable box/PC/Xbox/whatever should be getting plugged into the home theater's receiver, not the TV at all. That headphone jack only carries stereo sound, and from what you posted I am guessing you have it plugged into a direct subwoofer input on the back of the receiver, giving you only the subwoofer.

If its a newer system it should have HDMI inputs on the home theater's receiver for those devices, and an hdmi output to the TV. If its older it should have optical audio inputs for those devices.

If you can take a picture of the back of the home theaters receiver, and what you are hooking up to it, it would make it really easy to tell you what goes where.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

So you're saying you're using the TV's headphone jack with an adapter to connect to the audio input on the home theater system?

If you're getting sound from the sub, that means it's sort of working, you might want to check the speakers using the radio tuner on the system if it has one to make sure all the speakers are connected properly. You may also need to check the sound mode on the system, like is it set to stereo, Dolby ProLogic, or something else.

Knowing the model of the system would help too.