Page 1 of 58
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Pokemon "League" Tournament

Me and the guys over in the pokemon thread are hosting a Pokemon League style tournament with leaders an Elite 4 and a Champion.

Gym Leaders:

1. Symphonic: Poison
    2. Perudo: Ground
    3. Tahuun: Dark
    4. ocjona: Bug
    5. zwiggy: Ghost
    6. KinKarasu: Psychic
    7. Habanero-tan: Flying
    8. Halyon: Dragon

Substitute Gym Leader: Demonhuntr: Normal Type
    ----------------------------------------
    Elite 4:
    1. Well: Electric
    2. Lahis: Steel
    3. Dewote: Water
    4. Orochiro: Grass

Current Champion:: Nelavar

Challengers:
    Raigara: 0/8 0/4

The Rules!
    Gym Battles 3v3 Single Battle Format

Elite 4 Battles are 6v6 Single Battle Format

Gym Leaders and Elite 4 use Type based teams.

First Gym battle for recognition (No Switching for the Leader unless Sleep or Wonder Guard and Volt Switch and U-turn are allowed)
    Second Battle for Badge (Leader allowed switching.needed for E4 Entry)
    You have to win the recognition battle to be eligible for the Badge Battle

Smogon Clauses and Rules, Tiers: OU and below
    Extra:
    Evasion Clause - No Snow Cloak/Sand Veil, Minimize or Double Team
    Item Clause - 1 unique in 3v3, 2 unique in 6v6 (1x leftovers in a 3v3 or 2 in a 6v6 match)

There is an 18 Pokemon restriction on Challengers (It basicly gives you 3 teams but also ensures you cant bring a full team of hard counters to every battle)
    If you want to challenge you have to PM the 18 pokemon you want to use for the Gym Leader part to me!
    Me and the Elite 4 will review the battles to ensure no-one brings illegal/non-listed pokemon.

Going into the Elite 4 you make a new team of 6 pokemon that you have to use all the way through, losing at any point you will have to defeat all 4 again. This is to prevent from just switching up teams when you hit a roadblock.

Team secrecy is very important, its illegal to post info about Gym Leaders you faced or posting any info about your own team. All team info is done through PM and only with the people you faced. You can chat with a leader about your match, we love pointers as much as the next guy but keep it in private!
    Last edited by Ðemonhuntr; 2015-03-07 at 07:59 PM.

Deleted
    About the 'switches' I am all for the system Well has sugested:
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    I am all for clearcut rules. My point is that these rules can be taken down after someone has beat a Gym Leader and challenges him again to possible enter the E4.

What I am thinking is like that:

The 1st you challenge and until you beat a specific Gym Leader, both players will be bound by standard rules. When/If the challenger beats the Gym Leader for one time, the Leader will then recognise the Challenger's right to aqcuire a badge from him and the challenger can earn it by beating him again with switching allowed for the Leader and any other rule they deem needs to be changed.

When/If the challenger beats the leader for the 2nd time, then the leader is oblige to provide a badge by posting here and providing the code of the replay. When/If someone has all badges they can enter the E4 where they will find 4 gym leaders with a full team of 6 and only standard smogon rules applied.

If they beat them as well, then they can challenge the Champion who will be another Gym Leader with again a full team of 6 and Smogon rules. If they do, they are awarded the title of the Champion. What they will do with that, we can discuss, but it's far far far away for now
    Basically rematch system. You need to beat gym leader twice to get badge. Once for recognition and second time for the badge itself.

I also would prefer to ban all non-Uber legendaries to make the meta less stale (also for the lore reason, legendaries are supposed to be crazy rare, but that's a lesser argument).

Deleted
    While I don't intend to use any, I've yet to see a good reason to ban non-uber legendaries apart from "because I want to".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tahuun View Post
    I also would prefer to ban all non-Uber legendaries to make the meta less stale.
    So you want people to use a bigger variety of pokemon by limiting their choice? That makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Derpette View Post
    While I don't intend to use any, I've yet to see a good reason to ban non-uber legendaries apart from "because I want to".

- - - Updated - - -

So you want people to use a bigger variety of pokemon by limiting their choice? That makes sense...
    I think we generally agreed that only things that are banned are those listed in the Ubers section of Smogon. Nothing else.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

No we want to avoid everyone running Genesect,Terrakion on their team cuz theyre very powerfull and supposed to be rare in the Lore

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

By limiting their 'go-to' mons, yes. I want people to come up with strategies instead of choosing stat strong mons only.

I will also again say that the 1st Champion should be a Gym Leader, voted by the other Gym Leaders.

10+ Year Old Account
    By limiting their 'go-to' mons, yes. I want people to come up with strategies instead of choosing stat strong mons only.
    This whole thing is supposed to be fun. I don't know about the rest of you but I plan on using pokemon that are strong but also Pokemon that I really like as well.

Deleted
    I will also again say that the 1st Champion should be a Gym Leader, voted by the other Gym Leaders.
    I think that first Champion should be the person that have beaten all Gym Leaders/Elite Four. And he gotta use 6 mons from among the ones he used to beat the GL/E4.

Deleted
    Agreed with this. I also say that said gym leader can use any type of team they wish (as the Champion, of course).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ðemonhuntr View Post
    No we want to avoid everyone running Genesect,Terrakion on their team cuz theyre very powerfull and supposed to be rare in the Lore
    The most used pokemon by far in OU on smogon is rotom-wash apearantly, not a legendary. Let's ban him too please? Others such as tyranitar, scizor, etc. also have A LOT more representation than a lot of legendaries. Genesect is very popular yes, the others not so much compared to a ton of OU mons. You also imply everyone has a perfect genesect or something.

That's just naive sorry. If you want a specific role filled in a team and you can't use a mon cause he's legendary, you'll resort to the next best thing. Because people don't always have the legendaries they'd want to use, some will use them, some will need to resort to the next best thing, which will make for a bigger diversity in pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ðemonhuntr View Post
    These would only be in the Steel, Bug, Fighting and Rock Gyms respectively.

I'm all for them though. I will say again that we need to stick with the Smogon rules to have common ground with anyone attempting to challenge the Leaders. It's much better for the new players and challengers that are not regulars in mmo-c to tell them "Nothing new except that Leaders can't switch in the 1st round and they can do so at the 2nd one", than tell them:

"Well, yeah... we've come up with our own banlist and you should read it in X link" That will cost us a lot of challengers. We should stick with the Smogon metagame, and that only.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    This whole thing is supposed to be fun. I don't know about the rest of you but I plan on using pokemon that are strong but also Pokemon that I really like as well.
    Oh I also want it to be fun. But seeing Challengers with Genesects and Suicunes over and over and over isn't gonna be fun nor Gym Leaders.

I think that first Champion should be the person that have beaten all Gym Leaders/Elite Four. And he gotta use 6 mons from among the ones he used to beat the GL/E4.
    How can you be a Champion without having beaten one though? We need to have someone appointed there for the start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't the 12 Gym Leaders have their own sort of tournament and the Top 4 become the Elite 4?
    Black Lives Matter

Deleted
    How can you be a Champion without having beaten one though? We need to have someone appointed there for the start.
    Simple, by becoming stronger than all others. That's why it's 1st Champion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh I also want it to be fun. But seeing Challengers with Genesects and Suicunes over and over and over isn't gonna be fun nor Gym Leaders.
    Yeah but what I meant by my post is that I don't think people will do that because as you said it isn't fun. I don't think anyone would get satisfaction out of rofl stomping a trainer with a Black Kyurem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by the_fallen View Post
    Why don't the 12 Gym Leaders have their own sort of tournament and the Top 4 become the Elite 4?
    That's actually a fine idea in my opinion.

Simple, by becoming stronger than all others. That's why it's 1st Champion.
    That would mean that the E4 battle between them and the strongest becomes the champion then. I will stick with my suggestion of just electing the 1st champion and then having the guy/gal who beats him/her be the champion afterwards.

Also, mandatory music themes for when the battles are held!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the_fallen View Post
    The problem is it will be unbalanced as hell. For instance as a fire gym leader if I faced the water gym leader I'd have a much harder time than if I faced a steel type gym leader. It'd come down to luck.

I think we should review the battle videos of each gym leader and then decide who our E4 members are.