Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    Temporary fix at best.
    Are you implying it always gets messed up? Nothing could be worse than the AH on my server before the merge. Since it was low pop. A couple of people owned the market and skyrocketed the prices. Now because we have roughly more than 1k more players. It has stabilized the prices, and now it's more normal. If people are still subbed now I don't see a huge chunk of them leaving before wod, and more coming back. So I'm not sure what your statement insinuated.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Are you implying it always gets messed up? Nothing could be worse than the AH on my server before the merge. Since it was low pop. A couple of people owned the market and skyrocketed the prices. Now because we have roughly more than 1k more players. It has stabilized the prices, and now it's more normal. If people are still subbed now I don't see a huge chunk of them leaving before wod, and more coming back. So I'm not sure what your statement insinuated.
    Yes I am. There will be people who decide to leave those realms and just quit playing completely. Merging them does little long lasting good, only puts off the inevitable closing of realms and those characters being put onto a brand new one.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    It's why I don't really get why they seem to be starting with mostly PvP-based realms. Surely PvE realms would be easier, with faction balance mattering less.
    PvPers whine more?

  4. #24
    They just merged an english realm with a portuguese realm on EU (Grim Batol-EN + Aggra-Portuguese)

    I wonder who thought that was a good idea. 0_o
    [email protected] | 8gb RAM | Geforce GTX 660 OC | 120gb SSD
    Druid (Main)World first 9000/9000HC 10minutes/week

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    Yes I am. There will be people who decide to leave those realms and just quit playing completely. Merging them does little long lasting good, only puts off the inevitable closing of realms and those characters being put onto a brand new one.
    This is an assumption. My realms pop has gone up recently regardless of the merge. Lots of players are exited for wod. Your assumption is based on you believing all realms will eventually die. which is a bold claim. Not everyone wants to be on a high pop server. So its a pretty baseless prediction. especially since Blizzard recently showed us that WoW has gained subs.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollfaced View Post
    They just merged an english realm with a portuguese realm on EU (Grim Batol-EN + Aggra-Portuguese)

    I wonder who thought that was a good idea. 0_o
    Only so few merges on EU realms yet and they still mess them up...

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    This is an assumption. My realms pop has gone up recently regardless of the merge. Lots of players are exited for wod. Your assumption is based on you believing all realms will eventually die. which is a bold claim. Not everyone wants to be on a high pop server. So its a pretty baseless prediction. especially since Blizzard recently showed us that WoW has gained subs.
    Nope. My assumption isn't based on what you say it is. It's based in reality. Maybe you could go back and reread what i typed without having your head up your ass. It helps to understand a person's post better.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollfaced View Post
    Im split about it, recently they connected Grim Batol EU with Aggra Portuguese. And now its like 90% of the realm is portuguese-talking instead of english which makes for some problems in communication. The smart thing to do there would've been to connect Aggra with another portuguese-speaking realm instead.
    You know that really does not make any sense to mix server languages, unless they install a universal translation system.

  9. #29
    Moderator Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    7,477
    It has already fixed quite some things.
    If you disapprove of moderation, seek an Admin or Global Moderator.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    R.I.P Project 'Titan' - My curious mind will still think of you!

  10. #30
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville Florida
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    Nope. My assumption isn't based on what you say it is. It's based in reality. Maybe you could go back and reread what i typed without having your head up your ass. It helps to understand a person's post better.
    So you throw an insult at a poster with no claims backing up your assumption, if we want to go that route lets look at your OP 86 +24 is 110 which is well nigh impossible. So before you start insulting ppl maybe you should learn some math.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ckabear/simple

    Ideally no one has ever hit the level cap of the last expansion, looked at their dungeon blues, and thought "I win."

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollfaced View Post
    They just merged an english realm with a portuguese realm on EU (Grim Batol-EN + Aggra-Portuguese)

    I wonder who thought that was a good idea. 0_o
    ;( my condolences to eu-grim batol guys. i'm dreading this happens to my realm.

  12. #32
    Titan Nerraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    Nope. My assumption isn't based on what you say it is. It's based in reality. Maybe you could go back and reread what i typed without having your head up your ass. It helps to understand a person's post better.
    Why would this solution bring any more negatives than physically closing down realms and forcing people over on others?

    Edit: Rephrasing to clear up my point.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Why would this solution bring any more negatives than physically closing down realms and forcing people over on others?

    Edit: Rephrasing to clear up my point.
    And to add to his absurd claim that this merely puts off the inevitable closing down of realms is defeated by the very process he is railing against. Merged realms can be merged with additional realms to maintain effective server population.

    The "solution" that they did first, cross-realm zones, is terrible. It puts in into zones with people who you will likely never interact with again and can have no deeper cooperation that doing quests together that are now so easy you never need another person. Players from higher population servers farming the resource nodes on low population servers for materials that will never be available to the players on the low population server. On my medium population server Cenarion Circle we have seen a lot of bigotry from a certain high population server with entitled players who expect us to grovel in thanks of being "allowed" to play on "their" server. Not to mention what they have turned Goldshire into. Ewww.

  14. #34
    Brewmaster Pejo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    C eh N eh D eh
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    Who really thinks this fixes anything? My guess is this is the reason there's been so many problems with realms going off line unexpectedly. Doing this totally destroys any sense of community. Just seems like Blizzards easy answer for low population realms instead of closing said realms and giving people free transfers off of them. Not to mention the realms that have been merged, lets say mine for example Spirestone-US, the horde to alliance population is something like 86% horde to 24% alliance.. Doesn't exactly help in world pvp...
    I didn't actually believe someone can be this stupid, but throughout this thread, you have amazed me. This fixes plenty: increases the population on your server so you're able to have more heroic raiders available (only thing that isn't cross-realm yet), allows you to populate your guild with more people, but also makes your server feel more alive. They have merged a large amount of the servers in the US, and have improved the situation on them.

    As has been stated, this is far from the easy answer and actually one of the best solutions available - allows people to keep their name and server, and they didn't have to do anything. They also have the ability to merge a high population server together with a lower population one to remove queues - we won't know if they'll do this until after WoD launch, but it is more than possible. It also allows people to have more than 11 characters on their server, which is a bonus for those people that have a large number of alts. Of course, this part only benefits them if they have a realm merged with them, but yes.

    How is Connected Realms less temporary of a solution than dropping dead realms, and making them transfer to a new server? Let's say your server becomes dead again - you're going to have to drop your second name and join a new server, and so on and so on. By having it be Connected Realms, they can repeat this process as many times as they want, and you'll never have to change your name.If you want to claim it's more expensive for Blizzard to keep these old servers running, that is also false. Because the realms are virtualized, it allows them to condense them onto less physical servers while keeping the realm, and we, as players, will never know better. With this new technology, it allows them to completely remove downtime (bad things do happen), because they're able to spin up copies of our servers and patch those servers. When they're ready to deploy, disconnect all of us and redirect to new server, especially with these streaming patches.

    All in all, possibly the best solution they could have done - save your complaints once you educate yourself.

  15. #35
    Another thought just occurred to me. This has effectively doubled my character slots on my server because my server will no longer really be Cenarion Circle, it will be Cenarion Circle-Sisters of Elune. Currently I grabbed every one of my character's names that I could on Sisters of Elune, eight out of eleven including all of my higher level or capped characters, but I could use the slots to make Horde characters, bring back one significant Horde character, and join my Alliance guild's Horde side guild just using my single account when they have been running two or three accounts to do so.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    Nope. My assumption isn't based on what you say it is. It's based in reality. Maybe you could go back and reread what i typed without having your head up your ass. It helps to understand a person's post better.
    I read it perfectly fine. It's an assumption to think merged realms are going to eventually lose people to the point where they are in the same predicament before they were merged. Maybe some cases it hasn't been so great, but that doesn't mean it's fact in every case. My experience has been great.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Roamingstorm View Post
    To fix it I truly think Blizzard just needs to open up free transfers more often for the high population realms to a variety of realms, and not just a select few low population ones. I play on Illidan now and transfered there when DS opened up, but when MoP came out and I was hitting nearly 2 hour+ queue times I only dread seeing WoD...
    They just need to merge Illidan with a low population server and allow free server transfers there, this would solve the queue issue.

    That's what I wanted to say, if they can connect servers to increase the population, they can also do it to split the population of high population servers to remove queues that nobody wants. At that point you'd still play on the same server.

    As for the rest, only people complaining are those who were a minority and remains a minority, they still complain about faction balance when that was not at all the point of server connections. You'll have a free 90 soon, time to fix your situations.
    Last edited by Spotnick; 2014-02-10 at 07:48 AM.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    They just need to merge Illidan with a low population server and allow free server transfers there, this would solve the queue issue.

    That's what I wanted to say, if they can connect servers to increase the population, they can also do it to split the population of high population servers to remove queues that nobody wants. At that point you'd still play on the same server.
    You fundamentally don't understand what a realm merger does if you believe that. For all intents and purposes, Illidan and Patsy Server are one and the same-- which means the queue times would in fact not decrease.

  19. #39
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Frozen Wasteland
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Shutting down realms would have been a better choice.
    ...

    What? Really?

  20. #40
    Titan Nerraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Karnak View Post
    The "solution" that they did first, cross-realm zones, is terrible. It puts in into zones with people who you will likely never interact with again and can have no deeper cooperation that doing quests together that are now so easy you never need another person. Players from higher population servers farming the resource nodes on low population servers for materials that will never be available to the players on the low population server. On my medium population server Cenarion Circle we have seen a lot of bigotry from a certain high population server with entitled players who expect us to grovel in thanks of being "allowed" to play on "their" server. Not to mention what they have turned Goldshire into. Ewww.
    It's not terrible. It brought life to dead zones, no matter how obnoxious some of that "life" might have been. It was never meant to be the replacement for merging servers. It was just the first step along the way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •