Page 1 of 2
LastLast

High End PvE Gear>Grievous?

Just wanted a discussion about whether you think decking yourself out in full PvE gear is currently better for world pvp than grievous gear. Everytime my buddies and I go do some world PvP the majority of players are in PvE gear and blow us up. It's as if our pvp gear doesn't even absorb enough damage, so why sacrifice so much damage to wear it?

For reference, I play a warrior
    Last edited by Starsoo; 2014-02-08 at 09:20 PM.

Deleted
    It is mathematically better, atleast with the current 522 gear. Not sure if this will change with next season's 550, but I imagine it will atleast close the gap a little.

Didn't you just answer your own question?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCakepie View Post
    It is mathematically better, atleast with the current 522 gear. Not sure if this will change with next season's 550, but I imagine it will atleast close the gap a little.
    I think it could be the best.

Remember that pvp power is "free" (for the stats budget) so you basicely do about 50% more damage at 550 then a equally geared pve player would do. you also take around 40% less damage. Im not sure how much more damage a high end pve equiped player does then someone with 550 ilvl but unless its over 50% more the new pvp gear will be better.

Yes. Normal/Heroic PvE gear blows PvP gear out of the water in world PvP.

You can blame baseline resilience for this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crruor View Post
    you also take around 40% less damage
    No, you don't. You take around 9% less dmg with PvP trinkets.

Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    No, you don't. You take around 9% less dmg with PvP trinkets.
    No you dont, (just random numbers to make it clearer) if you have 90% resiliance and a pve char has 80% you dont take 10% less damage, a strike that would deal 100 damage to a 0% resiliance target would do 20 damage to the pve char and 10 to the pvp one, thats not a 10% difference, thats 100% more damage done to the pve char then to the pvp one.

Deleted
    That's called exponential damage reduction. And it's around 30% less damage with PvP trinkets, not 40 or 50%.
    But still, way more than 9% reduction.

Here is a good example.
    This spell does 1 million damage.

1,000,000 = 0 resi
    300,000 = 70% resi
    210,000 = 79% resi

The player with the 9% more resilience takes 30% less damage from the same spell.

Deleted
    72 % resi baseline => around 75 % with pvp trinket and meta... That's 3 out of 25 which translate in a 12 % damage reduction.

Anyway, in world pvp, you suit with full normal / heroic and the pvp trinket set... PvP geared players are currently at a huge desadvantage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LatexIdo View Post
    72 % resi baseline => around 75 % with pvp trinket and meta... That's 3 out of 25 which translate in a 12 % damage reduction.

Anyway, in world pvp, you suit with full normal / heroic and the pvp trinket set... PvP geared players are currently at a huge desadvantage.
    as they should be out in the world/pve content.
    the island sure, pvp'ish environment.

let pvp players be OP in pvp settings. (semi-sarcasm...idc either way, but it is funny that in pvp instances, pvp gear is stronger, and in pve settings(ppl doing pve daily quests, grinding pve mobs etc, then pve gear would be stronger)
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Deleted
    Pvp power should be more effective, so pvp gear would be better in world pvp also.

10+ Year Old Account
    edit: nvm overread the "world pvp" part.

Yes, in world pvp PVE 553+ gear blows Grievous out of the water. Won't be the case much longer, the Prideful gear will be superior when you have a fair amount.
    Last edited by miffy23; 2014-02-09 at 11:54 AM.

Deleted
    In world PvP, heroic PvE gear will outweigh PvP gear by a mile. There's is only one reason for this.

50 iLvls difference on each piece:
    - 250.000 health more. Resilience is baseline meaning PvE gear gives you increase survivability.
    - Abilities that scale with more attackpower/spellpower. In PvP Most hybrids gain a small percentage of their PvP power as the opposite stat. Meaning a damage dealing hybrid gains around 75% of their PvP power into healer. It however does nowhere near outweight the increased stat you gain. The PvP power simply does not outweigh the increased iLvls for offhealing.
    - PvP power adds around 42% damage in full Grevious. However those 50 iLvls, due to how stats scale and amplify eachother exponentially (as to why you did 100-120k with 500 iLvl and now you're doing 350k with "only" a increase of 70 iLvls). It's safe to assume you gain atleast a 100% dps increase from those 50 iLvls.
    - Trinket procs. In arena they are scaled down, not only to 512 iLvls but a lot of them are also nerfed for PvP. Trinkets provide 12-14k procs (atleast for str/agi classes) where as the PvP ones provide around 5k.
    - PvP gear use a lot of their budget on stamina. So while it might have a lot of health for 522 iLvl, it will still be nothing compared to a PvE piece worth 574 iLvls, where you still have 250.000 more health, but a lot more offensive stats too.
    - Weapon DPS for melee/ranged. Weapon DPS is the biggest DPS boost you can get point per point. 522 wep vs. 580 HC WF.

If you really want, gemming PvP power on your Heroic PvE gear will probably give you an increased advantage since it is a percentage increase in damage. In 522 gear PvP power 1:1 over Strength/Intellect however is not worth it. But the better the gear gets, the better PvP power will be. In full prideful 1 int vs. 1 pvp power is more or less interchangable under the assumption that you gem intellect in the red slots. If you gem a secondary stat, intellect will still come out on top, slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    Pvp power should be more effective, so pvp gear would be better in world pvp also.
    Absolutely not. Most world pvp that goes on is simply greifing. And not all players rolled on a pvp server because they pvp. Some are there simply because of friends. Or that was the suggested server and they had no real clue what it was they were getting into. If I que into your battlegrounds I expect to get rolled in my PVE gear and that is the way it should be. The chances of a bunch of high end pve players rolling around beating up on pvp geared players is pretty slim compared to the amount of knuckle walking grievous players that would be greifing if they were the strongest around.

It amazes me so much that pvp players always talk about how much they love pvp because it's such a challenge, but the moment they are put at a disadvantage they are the loudest criers of all. Because blowing up that pve player that just stood there, because he just doesn't care to participate, while you seizure around emoting at him/her takes skill. SMH
    Always' Weak Auras - My Pastebin

Deleted
    @Always. Got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? What is your point, besides personal whine?

Deleted
    100000 hit
    with 72% it's 28000
    with 74.7% it's 25300
    difference between it is 2700
    (2700/28000)*100 = 9.64%

PvP

Gladiator’s Distinction, the set bonus for wearing two PvP trinkets, now grants 5280 Resilience (up from 2600).

(but yeah, 40% probably was a bit to high)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crruor View Post
    PvP

Gladiator’s Distinction, the set bonus for wearing two PvP trinkets, now grants 5280 Resilience (up from 2600).

(but yeah, 40% probably was a bit to high)
    It will be worth using the 2x550 iLvl PvP trinkets in the next season (1 ½ weeks). At the moment I can only advice to use the Medallion to break CC. But due to iLvl and setbonus in next season, for World PvP you should use both.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Always View Post
    Absolutely not. Most world pvp that goes on is simply greifing. And not all players rolled on a pvp server because they pvp. Some are there simply because of friends. Or that was the suggested server and they had no real clue what it was they were getting into. If I que into your battlegrounds I expect to get rolled in my PVE gear and that is the way it should be. The chances of a bunch of high end pve players rolling around beating up on pvp geared players is pretty slim compared to the amount of knuckle walking grievous players that would be greifing if they were the strongest around.

It amazes me so much that pvp players always talk about how much they love pvp because it's such a challenge, but the moment they are put at a disadvantage they are the loudest criers of all. Because blowing up that pve player that just stood there, because he just doesn't care to participate, while you seizure around emoting at him/her takes skill. SMH
    How is it more justified that pve geared gank people in the world but when pvp geared people gank its not good?

heroic pve gear is better than even the 550 prideful gear coming out.

570+ combat rogues are just GG in timeless island.