Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

5.4 Challenge mode Gear guide Protection Warrior

Hi there,

I have no idea if there is any decent guide out there that focusses on the BiS/recommended gear for protection warriors in Challenge Modes(CM). That’s why I wanted to make a post that will give you the BiS items for the CM’s.

I will choose mostly gear that focusses on parry and mastery. Let me quickly explain why I go for this setup.

1. Parry procs the revenge glyph which gives your revenge 50% more damage
    2. Mastery is the best stat to have for CM’s, simply because you will use your shield block in ever situation to keep your healers mana as high as possible and ofcourse to reduce the incomming damage(You can run CM’s with around 50% mastery which is wonderful).

The following things will be unavailable during CM’s:

1. Legendary gem doesn’t work.
    2. Legendary cloak doesn’t work.
    3. Set bonusses don’t work.

Here is the list of gear that in my opinion is BiS for CM’s

Head
    T16 Head

Neck
    Moonjade Necklace

Shoulders
    Pauldrons of the Last Mogu

Cloak
    Qian Ying Fortitude of Niuzao

Chest
    Chestguard of the Prehistoric Marauder]

Wrist
    Throne of Thunder drops bracers with a socket on several bosses, they are BiS for CM’s cause of the socket.

Hands
    Handguards of the Prehistoric Maurauder

Waist
    Greatbelt of the Crendor

Legs
    Archaic Protector's Legguards
    Legplates of Whipping Ionization

Boots
    Haunted Steel Warboots

Rings
    Ring of the Iron Tomb
    Galakrond Control Band

Trinkets
    Ji-Kun’s Rising Winds
    Vial of Dragon’s Blood

Weapon
    Hellscream’s Doomblade
    or
    Qon’s Flaming Scimitar
    Worldbreaker’s Stormscythe
    Acid-Spine Bonemace

Shield
    Hellscream’s Shield Wall

Gems

Red Socket: Fine Vermilion Onyx
    Yellow Socket: Fractured Sun’s Radiance
    Blue Socket: Puissant Wild Jade

Reforge

I’d recommend to get your 7.5 hitrating and 15% expertise, although some people might disagree on this, I am not capped, but slightly under it mostly like 0.5% or so. Afterwards, all the dodge should go into the following priority: Mastery > Parry

Enchants

Nothing different then your normal enchants here. Keep it the way it is.

Glyphs

Glyph of Hold the line
    Glyph of Heavy Repercussions

For the 3rd one, I personally use Glyph of Victory Rush simply because 30% hp in an aoe pack which goes hard on you is just a lot of selfheal. I found it saving my life a few times when making big pulls.

If you are more dps minded, I’d recommend going for Glyph of Incite

NOTE
    Items are ofcourse being downscaled to 463 so it doesn't matter if you have an heroic item or normal raid item or flex or even LFR. Also sometimes stats on the items downscale even lower then normal because of the sockets that you got on it, still sockets are the best way to go.

Any comments that might improve are very welcome. Until then, good luck and enjoy 
    Last edited by mmoc3eae41086b; 2014-02-09 at 01:59 AM. Reason: changing topic name

Quote Originally Posted by Dubadudu View Post
    The other 3 weapons all have the possibility to attach a sha touched socket for your 500 str gem. Also, you see that there is a mace/sword/axe. This is because Orcs /Humans/Dwarves get extra expertise from one of these weapons(racial bonusses).
    Just a note, the extra gem slot that you can attach to ToT weapons is not a Sha-Touched socket, but rather a normal gem socket. So the best you could do there is straight parry. Additionally, the Sha-Touched +500 stat gem does not work in challenge modes, should you have a weapon with a sha slot.

Also, wouldn't Haunted Steel Warboots be better than Wraithplate Treads for the double gem slot?
    Last edited by Slivark; 2014-02-08 at 11:03 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks ill edit that

Nice list I must say! Small tip tho, change the links to the ones from wowdb/ and people will be able to hoover over them to see what items you're referring to without clicking the link and going to Wowhead. Just go to the items you wish to link and then press the "Forum link" option at the right hand side of the screen.

For instance: Hellscream's Shield Wall VS. Hellscream's Shield Wall
    Last edited by Warriorsarri; 2014-02-09 at 12:37 AM.
    My Stream
    NollTvåTre Looking for Raiders

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    For the 3rd one, I personally use Glyph of Victory Rush simply because 30% hp in an aoe pack which goes hard on you is just a lot of selfheal. I found it saving my life a few times when making big pulls.

If you are more dps minded, I’d recommend going for Glyph of Incite
    Glyph of Resonating Power is probably more damage, especially on AoE.

I'd recommend a Riposte build if you're going for anything else than just gold, actually. The damage are eadily tankable and the more dps you have the merrier.
    Also that means you can basically use your raiding gear and be near optimal (should change helm, weapon, trinkets and probably cloak.)
    Some people argue that 12% is a good exp cap for CMs since that cap you against trashes. Considering our single target damage is significantly lower than our multi target damage, I guess it may make sense.
    Btw, Bladestorm>Thunderclap (again, if your goal is higher than just gold), you really want the extra damage.

I guess I'm a bit influenced by our PL because with only 4 "active" players, the tank needs to compensate the missing dd. But it should be the same if you're going for extreme timers.
    Last edited by Senen; 2014-02-09 at 10:29 AM.

Deleted
    Request sticky tbh xD

Any chance you know some of the next best trinkets? Having a hard time getting ahold of those ones, would like to know the next best options.

Thanks!

Oh, I didn't look at his trinket choice but I highly disagree with him. Ji-kun's trinket is terrible (1nd probably still bugged).

For survival, stamina trinkets are the best (more stat points and at this ilvl Stamina provides a lot of EH).
    I personnally like the IJ trinket and the 5.2 valor trinket because they increase both survival and dps.
    I guess the guys aiming for EU/US timers would use more offensive trinkets but since those guys don't use warprot...

Edit: For stamina trinkets, Relic of Niuzao is pretty good and the trinket from MSP should be also.
    Last edited by Senen; 2014-02-10 at 03:47 PM.

Deleted
    Warriors cannot be top times, simply because we are being outdone by BM monks

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    With the announcement of challenge modes coming to an end soon(tm) what talents are you guys running to do enough dps to get gold times and yet still being tanky enough to survive?
    Randalsmash Crimson Ravens Alliance US: Malygos

Looking to do another set of gold modes on my warrior, currently has dps gear with quite abit of crit on it. Is it worth regemming/reforging to something like mastery or parry/dodge or am I fine with tanking with crit gear. Keep in mind I'm just going for gold times.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    for what it is worth I found this video playlist i has 7/9 as a prot warrior pov. No explaination there are other videos that have those as a different class. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...yK2c0nKhEDXOPo
    Randalsmash Crimson Ravens Alliance US: Malygos

Not sure if we have a client for PL tomorrow or if we do an alt run.
    If I'm PLing on my wartank, I'll try to fraps it, if it can help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Randalsmash View Post
    With the announcement of challenge modes coming to an end soon(tm) what talents are you guys running to do enough dps to get gold times and yet still being tanky enough to survive?
    I use Bladestorm in almost every dungeon, but for just gold medal I'd probably recommend Shockwave, especially if you don't have a comp able to aoe stun correctly. (If you've got like a shaman and a dk, let them cc, their stun are better, and take Bladestorm for extra dps.)
    I use Heavy Repercussion/Hold the Line/Unending Rage. Should probably go for Heavy Repercussion the Thunderclap glyph for extra dps, but I like having 120 rage, tbh.

If you don't have a good kiting comp, the snare shout can be useful, I guess. But Disrupting Shout is really golden.
    Both Vigilance and Mass Spell Reflect can be argued, I guess. I usually take Vigilance to put it on the client, avoiding stupid deaths. It's also helpful to mass taunt in some places if you don't have the Battle Horn (as a matter of fact, I don't have it. )

Enraged Regeneration is probably the way to go, except maybe on some rare cases where you can find an utility to Second Wind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elhotdog View Post
    Looking to do another set of gold modes on my warrior, currently has dps gear with quite abit of crit on it. Is it worth regemming/reforging to something like mastery or parry/dodge or am I fine with tanking with crit gear. Keep in mind I'm just going for gold times.
    I'd definitely reforge.
    Doing CMs with a crit build is probably doable and I haven't tested it so I can't tell you how vulnerable you would be, but it's not like reforging was really expensive anyway.
    Last edited by Senen; 2014-02-21 at 12:10 AM.

How hard is it to tank CMs? DUe to comp issues for my guild's (11/14h so we have somewhat good players) run I may be pressed into duty to tank it. I'm not the worst tank in the world, I've tanked Flex and such but don't really know what to expect outside of the guides I've watched.

Hmmm, hard to say.
    Not that much, you need a proper cd management (but that may be hard when you don't know well neither the dungeons or the class), kite in some places and don't overdo things, a bit like Spoils of Pandaria, if you pull too much because you're afraid of the timer, you'll die.

15+ Year Old Account
    1: Both DPS and TANKING Darkmoon Fair trinkets are amazing, personally, i use Relic of Niuzao with Brutal Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault
    2: Parry/Dodge builds are EXTREMELY good for many reasons, top two being that you bring high damage and high rage income.
    3: Use Throne of Thunder weapons with the extra gem slot from the Black Prince, or Garrosh Looms
    4: Tanking anything more than 4 mobs, especially caster, use heavy cooldowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubadudu View Post
    Warriors cannot be top times, simply because we are being outdone by BM monks
    Curreñcy Currently holds top #1 Warrior, World 28th, Challenge Mode times.

If you are pushing for world ranks, then yes, Monks are extremely god like due the fact they have amazing cooldowns and tanking stats that are pure dps stats too.
    If you wish to push realm times or even personal times, dont let your class or spec make you feel inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    How hard is it to tank CMs? DUe to comp issues for my guild's (11/14h so we have somewhat good players) run I may be pressed into duty to tank it. I'm not the worst tank in the world, I've tanked Flex and such but don't really know what to expect outside of the guides I've watched.
    Having what ever healer gem/reforge/gear for their best two stats/pure output is what you want, mana regen should be on their lowest
    priority list as they will (SHOULD!) be using the Klaxxi food after every pull/boss.

I have run the following setup for my guild members wanting their gear and achievements, there is no 'have to take this class' make up, the only time you want to maximize your comp makeup is for realm/world times (Or you just want to make it as easy as possible for a one time group sorta thing)

Group #1 - Completed!
    - Protection Warrior (Me), Discipline Priest, Assassination Rogue, Arms Warrior, Frost Mage
    Group #2 - Completed!
    - Protection Warrior (Me), Discipline Priest, Shadow Priest, Arms Warrior, Frost Mage
    Group #3 - Completed!
    - Protection Warrior (Me), Discipline Priest, Destruction Warlock, Elemental Shaman, Beastmastery Hunter
    Group #4 - Completed!
    - Protection Warrior (Me), Discipline Priest, Elemental Shaman, Fury Warrior, Elemental Shaman
    Group #5 - Completed!
    - Protection Warrior (Me), Restoration Druid, Elemental Shaman, Shadow Priest, Elemental Shaman
    Group #6 - Completed!
    - Protection Warrior (Me), Restoration Druid, Frost Mage, Destruction Warlock, Frost Mage
    Group #7 - Completed!
    - Protection Warrior (Me), Mistweaver Monk, Windwalker Monk, Frost Mage, Enhancement Shaman
    Last edited by Lithix; 2014-02-18 at 04:52 AM.

I see no reason to try a crit build considering with avoidance you're going to have 100% uptime on riposte since you're the only tank unlike in raids and the riposte crit essentially levels you out to the amount of crit you would have if you were gemming for it (slightly less, to be honest but I'd say its negligible).

Quote Originally Posted by Jetjaguar View Post
    I see no reason to try a crit build considering with avoidance you're going to have 100% uptime on riposte since you're the only tank unlike in raids and the riposte crit essentially levels you out to the amount of crit you would have if you were gemming for it (slightly less, to be honest but I'd say its negligible).
    A "crit build" usually means a gear with "parry/dodge" and "crit/x" items. Not very different from a Riposte build, except you prioritize "crit/x" over "parry/x" and "dodge/x".
    Not sure how good it is for CMs, I don't want to try it and I guess you might be a little too squishy. But I think it's a possible gearing strategy for those really going for best timers.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    Tanking in CM is completely different from tanking in raids. Not harder or easier, just different. 90% of CMs are trash and tanking trash is totally different from bosses.