Deleted

Issue with Windows 8 - Desktop

Hey all, I am new to Windows 8 and not sure how to do something.

I have 2 user accounts set-up and when I add icons/short-cuts to the desktop it also adds them for the other User's desktop as well. When the other user deletes these short-cuts, it deletes the ones on the other user account as if they are linked together. I am not sure how to stop this. Has anyone else ever had this issue and if so how do I fix it?

This is a real pain and if anyone can help that would be brilliant!
    Thank you

10+ Year Old Account
    Believe it or not the above issue with shortcuts has been around since windows 95. For vista, 7, and 8.x you will find the shared shortcuts in c:\users\public\public desktop\ (public desktop will be hidden by default) From there you can move them to your own personal desktop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    Believe it or not the above issue with shortcuts has been around since windows 95. For vista, 7, and 8.x you will find the shared shortcuts in c:\users\public\public desktop\ (public desktop will be hidden by default) From there you can move them to your own personal desktop.
    Probably why I just started getting this issue then. I moved the Desktop folder from the C drive as I did not want it on my SSD. I have created 2 user folders in a new hard drive:
    E:\Users\User1\Desktop
    E:\Users\User2\Desktop

I isolated them apart but still get the issue :/

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose I will just have to be more careful as I use "Send to Desktop" but it seems to be still using the C drives desktop folder rather than the one I changed it to. I wonder if there is an option to make the desktop folder I want it to go to as the official one.

Deleted
    User created or "send to" shortcuts to my understanding should go to the users own desktop folder, now some programs like to place them (asking persimission or not) to the shared public desktop (makes them visible for all users) for those manual labor is needed, also in the case you want them to show for all and not get removed if someones deletes (copy for every user). Now it is possible to make your own shell link "send to multible desktops" where it does copy the shortcut where ever you want it to.
    Last edited by mmoc198caea9b6; 2014-02-09 at 03:56 PM.