Deleted

Disc or Holy for malkorok 25 hc?

My guild is currently running with 2 priest who usually run disc for every fight, I read that holy can be better than disc on malkorok but no concrete answer, so my question is what spec performs better on malkorok, would bringing two disc priests hurt us too much in 25 heroic malkorok?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Disc can have some benefits, as disc shields are absorbed before the ancient barrier, but holy is far more efficient and just more suited in general to filling the barrier and keeping it topped. I'd at least have 1 of them switch if possible.

I found it depends on your healing comp. I have been top healer on this fight as Holy but after the guild recruit a very good resto druid and a amazing mist weaver my healing on that fight fell to the bottom. That is from a meters perspective, is Holy good on that fight? Holy is amazing on any fight but if you have a good healing comp and a lot of hot based classes you will not parse well. This is due to echo of light, when hots tick everything in the game will tick before echo of light since blizzard left the haste mechanic out of echo. For this reason Holy has a bad reputation and blizzard has made it clear they don't plan to balance around meters. They said in a nut shell if people want to judge a healer by the meters you are dumb. Unfortunately that is 95% of the population.

Deleted
    I dont raid 25 man and i just started doing heroics, but i would also consider if these priest have experience in holy. If holy is better in this fight it doesnt need to mean there healing will be better then when they are disc. Holy is a very diffrent spec and takes time getting used to/master, not something u normally jump into.

disc wont be the highest hps on that fight but its much better than holy, you can shield targets before soaking and they keep green shields most of the time, anothe rgood thing is as a disc you can clear orbs throughout the fight and are still able to get a green shields quickly if your needed to soak, this helps allot by keeping your area clear, is combine the use of spirit shell and shields to help me absorb as many orbs as possible while taking at most minimal damage. Not to mention you have a cooldown for each ph2 on the tank, i generally use just barrier and spirit shell for first with some other additional healing and use pain supp for the second ph2 to help the tank solo the phase but on 25 man you will have even more cooldowns to help the tank.

If you need the extra aid in topping shields go holy, but if the extra dps combined with the ability to soak orbs throughout its better stay disc. But in general most of holys healing is wasted since you can spam green shields all day and it still contributes to your healing done, while as disc will have minimal healing wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstorm View Post
    I have been top healer on this fight as Holy but after the guild recruit a very good resto druid and a amazing mist weaver my healing on that fight fell to the bottom. That is from a meters perspective,
    meters are mostly irrelevant due to even healing a full green shield still contributes to your healing as only on ph2 is there any possible overhealing, so you can essentially spam 100% and you can achieve your maximum hps, mainly as a priest it depends on the ability of the groups your healing to all be within 30 yards for maximum PoH spammage so the melee groups should at least be the best option to heal here. In pure healing output with little overhealing no class can beat a holy priest as the no1 healing spot is to a priest with 1.6mill hps (1.2mill effective hps due to ph2)
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2014-02-09 at 10:34 PM.

If the rest of your healers are having trouble keeping shields topped, I'd definitely consider having one go Holy. Divine Hymn plus Halo and the rest of Holy's Arsenal can put out a lot of HPS.

Disc's absorbs are incredibly useful though and gives people who stand in orbs too much a nice little buffer. Not to mention they help people soak puddles and orbs as well.

Atonement healing hits the person with the lowest shield right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    Atonement healing hits the person with the lowest shield right?
    Yup. Which is why disc actually works well on this boss, especially in 10-man.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Holy might offer better hps - although it's really debatable - but Disc is the spec that offers people some safety margin in case they eat an orb before soaking pools. Any healer can easily fill up the shields, but what really counts is having that little extra in case something goes wrong. And besides, 25 man allows you to easily set ranged into 2-3 groups, thus making PoH a viable option for healing. Between this and Halo, there will always be some sort of shield on people, even if it's small. Every little bit helps, especially post Blood Rage when stuff actually starts to hurt.

We've sometimes used as much as 3 priests and at no point I felt like "gee, maybe Holy would be better". Melee is easily kept up with ground heals, shields are nicely handled by monks and druids, all that's missing are huge absorbs, and that's exactly what Disc has to offer. Plus, if I care more about utility rather than hps, then double shields from DI allow soaking quite a few orbs and keeping one area clean without much risk. Get a pw:s crit = soak 3-4 orbs easily, have another shield ready right after that. ToF might offer better hps, but shields are usually capped anyway and it's orbs that are problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Selesnya View Post
    Yes it works, just don't ever exspect it to heal yourself, because it will not.

Also, why do we still have the 50% penalty on healing ourselfes with atonement? It is a pain.
    Whenever I myself get hit hard and drop low, people start to die if at all.

Deleted
    Also, why do we still have the 50% penalty on healing ourselfes with atonement? It is a pain.
    you can thank pvp

If you lack the healing to keep people up then go holy if not - Pennance, HF and Smite with the occasional PW:S and Halo away and save your CDs for transition and your tanks "Z0MG MOAR VENG, OM NOM NOM". Don't bother spamming PoH unless your situation is very dire, and if so it would proberly be due to someone not soaking. I am usually 250-300k hps and 120-140k dps. All though we are overgeaing it, but disc is perhaps not the strongets on that fight, but that doesn't mean that our arsenal isn't good, and if you already got a shaman + mw + druid just let them run amok and be above you for once, and you just smite away.

Are disc priest goes holy for this fight and destroys.

How many healers are you running?

Holy will provide more HPS here due to the nature of it's spec. Disc is still very useful here of course, but while we are great at mitigating damage we are not good at healing it back up thus not able to top shields off as quickly as holy can.
    Teegers - Disc/Holy Priest - Summit - 14/14H
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/illidan/Teegers/simple
    http://www.twitch.tv/teegsx

Disc is pretty fantastic at this fight due to the nature of shields taking precedence over the mechanics, yes they wont look amazing on meters unless you PoH spam (wich ends up mostly overhealing anyways) but at least they'll do _useful_ healing

Quote Originally Posted by Selesnya View Post
    I dont think it does
    Otherwise how do you explain the ToF trick?
    We usually let one tank take a hit on purpose and they get all smart heals no matter what size of shields other people have
    Last edited by Chillzor; 2014-02-11 at 04:33 AM.

Both Disc and Holy are viable for this fight in 25 hc. Which spec I run really depends on healer comp for the night, and if we need PS/PW:B for the Blood Rage single tank strat. We've run 2x Disc for the fight without problems, and also run 2x Holy just to see how it works.

Deleted
    Disc is only strong when used with a healers that can dish out lots of Hps

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillzor View Post
    Disc is pretty fantastic at this fight due to the nature of shields taking precedence over the mechanics, yes they wont look amazing on meters unless you PoH spam (wich ends up mostly overhealing anyways) but at least they'll do _useful_ healing

I dont think it does
    Otherwise how do you explain the ToF trick?
    We usually let one tank take a hit on purpose and they get all smart heals no matter what size of shields other people have
    That is not how it works though. It worked that way on during 5.2/5.3 on Tortos, but they fixed it with 5.4. Playing disc was absolutely horrible on Tortos atonement-wise, blizzard fortunately noticed that. Now smart heals on Malkorok will hit the person with the lowest shields; possibly hitpoints and shields are even combined into one big HP "bar", no clue which way it works exactly. But claiming the person with the lowest HP bar will eat up all the smart heals is plain wrong. We certainly wouldn't have been able to two-heal Malkorok during progression, since my atonement on that fight is probably in the 70-80% area.

Actual shields on Malkorok still are a mess though. They don't get absorbed but instead remain as shields that take priority over the yshaarj shields. Since the yshaarj shields are quite binary and crit-heavy discs lack hard in actual HP healing, disc will appear to be underperforming at filling up shields, while it actually does just fine. Giving out PWS before void soaking is amazing.

Edit: Concerning the ToF "trick", assuming you mean the naked-equipped thing: If Malkorok worked how you described, this trick would actually completely screw any smart healing on that encounter ever. The fact that ToF reaches a 100% uptime simply comes from the fact that the smart heals (of which disc has a lot due to Holy Fire) keep healing different players all the time, including the priest, that is on top of any spells that priest might cast on himself (including halo). The DPS cloak is yet another great source for ToF uptime.
    Last edited by mmoc11af7d859d; 2014-02-12 at 09:01 AM. Reason: edit

Not sure if i follow:
    ToF only procs on players with 35% or less health, so if it DIDNT work like you say, ToF would never reach 100% uptime unless everyone in your raid is at 35% health? Even if we consider the proposition that health+shields are merged into one big healthpool... it would still be 50% health even if they costantly had 0 shields?

Do you have any log evidence to back your claims? Because i two heal malk hc aswell, and i certainly never noticed any smartness in atonement, if anything my last kill's log suggest that 52% of my atonement was on the tank whom we let take one hit at the start, 30% on me cus i probably derped out taking a ball while soaking, cant really remember, and 15%ish on the solo soaking tank and the little rest spread among the raiders

Now unless atonement is to be read a different way on Malk (wich could very well be the case, i dont know) this seems to be consistent with the fact that atonement doesnt really care about shield size

Holy is a really strong spec. I play it exclusively in my 14/14H 25 guild and I do amazing on a lot of fights. If the disc's know how to holy they can, if they don't they shouldn't.