Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    i think its pretty pathetic the community acts the way it does. Kicking you cause you communicate and are open about your first time learning an encounter.

disgusting behavior for an mmo
    Absolutely this. The thought of LFR is terrifying to me purely because of how much of a toxic cesspool it is, and I'm DPS. I'd love to tank or heal, but I'm far too frightened. I'll wait till I get a guild sometime next expansion. It's honestly a shame that the playerbase is so intent on tearing itself apart limb from limb and burning itself alive (in some aspects).

As for advice, OP, I know how you feel, but I don't have any since I barely raided this expansion and I'm too nooby to tank anything but leveling 5 mans. But best of luck to you! I hope all goes well in your endeavors, and do try to remember that it's not always your fault. Criticism can come whether it's valid or not; you just have to try take it in stride.

Going to have to have thick skin in that environment. Where the LFR community a lot of times places blame on the wrong people.

What stopped me from tanking in LFRs was not dps/healer abuse, but the other tank. Would always seem to run into another tank that wanted to be Supertank, and not work together. I will only tank if I go in with a friend.

I am healer MS and Tank OS but my tanking set is still heroic raid level, since I am only leather wearer in my 10 man. That being said, I will not tank LFR until such time as the same expectations of knowing the fight mechanics and not screwing up that is placed on tanks are also placed on dps.

Healing I can help direct the flow of the fight, dps a little and still not deal with verbal abuse if I make a mistake.

People have said a lot of good points ..

I will re-illiterate a few.

1.) Know the fight mechanics and your role.. Read a LFR strat, watch a video ..Get a good idea of what you need to do, when to taunt etc.
    2.) talk to the other tank.. Don't be afraid to let them know its your first time tanking this. Chances are it might be their first as well. Coordinate with him, like I will get skull you get X.... Taunt when I am at 4 stacks.. etc.......
    3.) You don't need Raid chat.. Turn it off if you want..

Thats really it. If it continues to be an issue in that raid just bail.... You will insta-queue for another one practically .. Chances are it will be better than the last..

Funny Story for me.. First time after successfully killing the fallen protectors in LFR SoO.. I didn't go the short cut which is to the right along the wall towards Zeal and started to pull down the path ( which my guild does in Normal when I am on my DPS main due to problems with aggro etc .. AKA just the way we do it ) so thats what I knew how to do.. Any rate some dude just kept on and on and on.. Calling me Sh!t etc.. trying to get people to kick me Though my tanking was solid.....

Any rate I finally spoke up in raid and said if you want to kick me then kick me because my tanking sux not because some doucher says so.. If you think he runs his mouth better than he DPS then kick him.. needless to say he got kicked and it kinda restored my faith in LFR ( at least until the next time I queued )

I know the pain.

I'm an experienced raider (Heroic progression raid leader). I've done heroic raiding as a Healer and as a DPS. I'm just as qualified as a tank except just haven't put in the time to do it. My gear on my tank is rather low than most tanks that are out there today and I get so much shit for it. I out perform, obviously, the other tank and have to battle off the naysayers trying to kick me from the group because I have less health than their 550 selves.

I don't go for HP, HP is a buffer, active mitigation is the skill behind tanking. As long as you have health and not dealing with encounters that have mechanics based on HP % (ie: Bats on tortos) then who cares if you're not taking any damage.

Fucking frustrating man. I refuse to play my tank in LFR so I never touch it sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughja View Post
    Would anyone have any suggestions and or what addons I would need to do the following

1. Be able to tank effectively
    I haven't tanked in a while, but TauntMaster used to be rather helpful. Don't know if it's been kept up to date.

2. Help the other members of the raid
    3. Not screw up fights
    Read the Icy Veins tanking guides, paying particularly close attention to the tank-specific comments. Watch one or more of the TankSpot/FatBoss/Learn2Raid videos. Most important of all, communicate with your fellow tank and make sure you guys have your strategies straight. Failing to properly taunt swap will wipe the raid and get you kicked pretty quickly. Moving the boss into the wrong spot will cause similar issues. If you've already been doing the fights as DPS you're already half way there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Get DBM and read the dungeon journal. Once you start learning how to recognize mechanics you can get a working understanding of most of the fights from just the dungeon journal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    Hold Shift, press J, and dive into the magical world of the Dungeon Journal. If you know how every fight works, no one has a reason to yell at you for anything. If you queue into LFR and don't have a clue what the bosses do... well... you kind of get what you get.
    Dungeon Journal has way too much information that you don't need while actually leaving crucial elements of most fights out. It was a great idea, but it's poorly executed. Dungeon Journal can refresh your memory regarding specific mechanics (when it's accurate), but it's not a great place to start. I would start at the Icy Veins web site instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

Hello all,

Am looking at Tanking in LFR Throne of Thunder and Siege of Orgrimmar but am a bit dubious of it as I have seen the potential abuse that Tanks get and/or the just plain lack of Knowledge of fights and mechanics.

I have been doing runs in LFR (as DPS) while specced for Prot loot, also been doing runs with my guild in normal MSV (just to get my confidence up)

Would anyone have any suggestions and or what addons I would need to do the following

1. Be able to tank effectively
    2. Help the other members of the raid
    3. Not screw up fights

Unfortunately I am unable to post a link to my character - Hughja on Chamber of Secrets as I have not posted enough yet
    Take my advice, and never tank LOLFR.

The plebs that frequent that cesspit will give you nothing but trouble, and are not worth your time.

With a few exceptions, you can just ignore(switch to a different chat pane) the instance chat in raids even while tanking... provided you know the fights mechanics and actually pay attention(if you are the last living or something...). The only person you really need to talk to is the other tank, which is usually done mostly in priv chat. This for things like who is tanking what boss/add/phase/whatever. After that its all pretty easy.

Just know the fights(do em as DPS first and watch the tanks). Best to go in as melee first so you can positioning a bit better.

Some fights you will need to look in instance chat, as more then just tank positions need decided. Like galakras groups for example. Even this though can be ignored long as you and the other tank communicate.
    ^^Everything said above is purely the opinion of the person who posted it. Nothing said is to be taken as fact unless otherwise stated, and even then only taken into consideration as fact, and not an actual fact, as it could be wrong or in other ways misinformed.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Watch these vids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BicP9MBBBwE (other parts can be found in related videos).
    You'll know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    You know there was a time when tanks were complimented in PUG's (mainly 5 mans and raidpugs = before LFR). Why were they complimented then? Well I dunno.... maybe because tanking nowadays is a complete joke and anyone with half a brain should be able to hold agro and catch all mobs coming at the group.
    Or maybe it's because a single screw-up from a new tank didn't immediately cause 24 other people to die. There was much less rage in a 5-man because responsibility was distributed more evenly. In LFR each tank shoulders about 30% of the responsiblity, the healers take 5% apiece, and the other 18 players split the remaining 10% for less than 0.6% each. Obviously those numbers are subject to interpretation, but that's just how it feels to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    Not researching the fights and just expecting somebody else to know them is disgusting behavior. How would LFR function if nobody knew the kill order for Paragons? Somebody came prepared, to show up unprepared is a dick move
    Do you know the kill order? Because even Icy Veins hand waves on that issue and states, "Since multiple bosses will be alive at the same time (and the actual kill order of the bosses is more or less up to you to decide), we cannot offer strict strategy for only a certain combination of boss interactions." Until recently they said that the order in which you engage the paragons varies from week to week but now they're claiming a fixed order. It's not like the dungeon journal says, "Kill them in this order." The whole purpose of LFR was for players to be able to show up without having done any research or homework. When even the sources for the research are punting on the kill order how do you expect anyone to know it? In my experience the order doesn't even matter in LFR. As long as one of the mobs is focused at all times they will go down. The only time I've wiped on LFR paragons was when everyone was AoEing or single target damage was spread across different paragons throughout the fight.
    Last edited by Ronduwil; 2014-02-10 at 09:56 PM.
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

10+ Year Old Account
    My advise to you about taking raids LFR or non LFR is this

1. Start from the beginning starting with heroics and then raids let people know you are new to tanking at first until you get your feet wet.
    2. Tankspot! They have some amazing tanking/raid guides if you watch the videos and read them you will know a lot of important information about the encounter.
    3. Communicate with the MT or your OT to make sure you both are on the same page.
    4. Find a guild if you are not already in one that will also aid you with tanking advice/going into raids with you/etc
    5. When I was first learning how to tank because I had been caster DPS my entire span of WoW until I rolled my paladin I encountered a lot of ...jerks with in the community who downed me, some even kicked me from group because I warned them in communication that I was new to tanking. I started with normal instances, then heroics, then raids when I was comfortable in heroics. Don't let the jerks you may encounter discourage you or make you not want to raid as a tank.

You still have to hope the other tank is willing to communicate as well. I'm thinking LFR has to be even more streamlined as far as tanks go. Something maybe along the lines of tanks not being able to taunt off of the other if one tank is doing it correctly. Yea, I'm serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    Do you know the kill order? Because even Icy Veins hand waves on that issue and states, "Since multiple bosses will be alive at the same time (and the actual kill order of the bosses is more or less up to you to decide), we cannot offer strict strategy for only a certain combination of boss interactions." Until recently they said that the order in which you engage the paragons varies from week to week but now they're claiming a fixed order. It's not like the dungeon journal says, "Kill them in this order." The whole purpose of LFR was for players to be able to show up without having done any research or homework. When even the sources for the research are punting on the kill order how do you expect anyone to know it? In my experience the order doesn't even matter in LFR. As long as one of the mobs is focused at all times they will go down. The only time I've wiped on LFR paragons was when everyone was AoEing or single target damage was spread across different paragons throughout the fight.
    This simply isnt true, because the dungeon journal has mechanic notes for LFR. LFR was meant to be a lower stress environment for those to practice, not to walk in and throw yourself at a boss until determination gets high enough. Hell, if it was meant for you to come in and LEARN there wouldnt be a buff created, since the expectation would be learning not clearing easily

Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    Do you know the kill order?
    The Klaxxi were random until a hotfix a couple of days after the patch. The order of their appearance is now fixed.
    As you said it doesn't really matter which goes down first in LFR, but it is easier when you focus on certain Paragons first.
    My priority
    1. Skeer: focus-killing blobs in LFR? lolnope
    2. doesn't matter
    3. Korven: joins later so you need to get people to WAIT and switch, popping the amber isn't that important as it will only add a couple of seconds as long all focus on Korven
    rest doesn't matter, I choose one of the two currently in battle
    To ensure that everyone focusses, switching the mark at low health (~5%) is best, so people can see which is going to be the next one and dots + last hits finish the current Klaxxi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't be bad and you won't get abused. Study ahead of time, know the fights from the tank perspective. Know where you have to be, communicate, play intelligently. Shouldn't be an issue.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    bro...tanking...is about, taking abuse. let them smash their faces off your shield and laugh.
    don't matter what class you are, the ideal is the same.
    If you can't take the abuse of LFR'ers with a laugh and a click of the ignore button, how you gonna stand up to a raid boss swinging that axe Eugene?
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

This simply isnt true, because the dungeon journal has mechanic notes for LFR.
    But they're not very well highlighted, are they? For example, it doesn't come right out and say that everyone should stack for the Sha of Pride to benefit from the Gift of the Titans buff. Instead it casually mentions that it gives a buff to everyone nearby if four or more players with the gift stack, but it's buried among a bunch of other crap. It also doesn't mention that you need to look for the add to spawn right after the prisons. It mentions the add spawning, but doesn't really explain the timing. It doesn't say that everyone should stack and then spread after the reflections. It mentions the reflections giving you pride, but you kind of have to infer the rest after realizing that you would have to stack for the buff. For that matter, it doesn't come right out and explain how pride works and all the effects it has. Instead it gives you hints piecemeal and you're expected to put it all together. If it's your first time in the raid without having seen a video or read a guide it's information overload and you're not going to put it all together right away. Also, you still haven't explained how you're supposed to infer the Paragon kill order from the dungeon journal.

LFR was meant to be a lower stress environment for those to practice, not to walk in and throw yourself at a boss until determination gets high enough. Hell, if it was meant for you to come in and LEARN there wouldnt be a buff created, since the expectation would be learning not clearing easily
    LFR was not "a lower stress environment for those to practice." Its purpose was clearly stated in
    Blizzard's Raid Finder Q&A:
    Q.Who is Raid Finder for?
    A. Raid Finder is primarily intended for players who don’t already raid consistently. These are players who may not have had the opportunity to take part in raid content due to scheduling conflicts, playtime constraints, limited access to other raid-capable players, or a lack of experience with higher-end content. These players may want to experience World of Warcraft’s raid content and storyline without being able to commit to the additional time investment of a raiding guild. The Raid Finder is also a great way to quickly and easily gear up alternate characters without having to worry about raid lockouts.
    Where does it say anything about practicing for raids? Guilds can use it that way if they want to, but it was never designed with that purpose in mind.
    Last edited by Ronduwil; 2014-02-11 at 12:24 AM.

Stood in the Fire Steve the Sloth's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately I am unable to post a link to my character - Hughja on Chamber of Secrets as I have not posted enough yet
    Can't tell if troll orrrrr...

Did no one else bring this up?

Quote Originally Posted by Classiccs View Post
    Can't tell if troll orrrrr...

Did no one else bring this up?
    Dont understand, what are we supposed to see in his armory that could indicate a troll post. His progress is where he said, MSV normal, Soo lfr (as dps), but hmm if you see something extra plz share.