Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    PvP -> Vanilla, you will melt faces... (but worst situation for PvE)
    PvE -> BC pobably

10+ Year Old Account
    For pvp I must say I have had the most fun in WotLK. I could 1v1 anyone and win by just spamming devouring plague. Good old times. ^^

Wrath was awesome, we could aoe for days.

If your talking what was the best expansion for shadow , then its Cata
    If your talking what was the best instance for shadow , then its Kharazhan. So much fun was had.

This current version of shadow is just crap. I dig the utility aspect of the class again, and fully enjoy doing things outside the "norm" of just standing in place and turreting, but if your not cheesing meters your seen as a liability by most higher up guilds because you did 1.2% less dps than a shadow priest who's never used mass dispell or Void shift in his life. Or maybe thats just my experience. lol.

Then theres things I read about how Blizzard perceives shadow right now like this....

Question - E.g. right now lots of players avoiding Shadow priest because of low "theoretical" parsing, but doing well when able to multidot
    Celestalon - Yeah, people play and put effort into what they hear is best. Inflates those numbers, deflates what's perceived as worse.

/facepalm
    People are quitting shadow because the single target is one of the worst of all dps classes. Mages have 3 specs , warlocks have 3 specs , hunters have 3 specs , ALL 9 of those parse higher than shadow for single target, and each have at least one spec that posts higher than shadow in almost ALL encounters. How is that actually possible to be allowed. How has mind flay for the love of god still not gotten buffed. Now come the next expansion shadow is going to have some bastardized alternate single target specific rotation. O boy!!! shadow gets to be the test dummy for an idea for another entire expansion. Hey maybe we will see the good parts of what happened to shadow in Mists get adapted CORRECTLY to other classes for Warlords. See current affliction spec vs Cataclysm shadow for reference.
    -Johnish(retired)
    HTML Code:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/doomhammer/Johnish/simple

Deleted
    Actually enjoyed cata pretty much, we were really good at that point. Even T13 some people despised, i really like doing that. It changed a bit, gave us the right burst and that was great. Feeling we were of some use on Hspine felt amazing.

Now in MOP, it is an ok overall situation, low on ST, good on MT (but clearly overshone by these damn affliction brothers xD).
    I wondered if we could see some kind of pattern as to each expansion theme. Let me explain myself.

Cata was the field of Old Gods, dark powers, corruption and mind control. = Shadow is the perfect representation of the Old Gods, look at the tentacles, they even use our spells :mind flay.... We control powers that they also do : mind flay / devouring plague / mind control and so on. At that time, we were great : is this because the expansion was also the peak of the shadow in the lore ?

Wotlk saw the rise of DKs and their enormous DPs just felt right at that time -(i know, you'll tell me they needed people to play this class so this had to be super awesome). The whole expansion revolved around the rise of the LK's minions.

Well i cant speak for BC because i never played it unfortunately.

Deleted
    If i go by this pattern, then it is likely that healing priests -(consider Velen here) will shine (certainly more holy than disc) next expansion. It shall be an expansion revolving much around orcs and they're no priests. Again a bad expansion for us ahead ? It will certainly be the peak of shamans (hell the number of shamans amongst orcish ranks) and of course locks. Can't see why that wouldnt.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerubisath View Post
    If i go by this pattern, then it is likely that healing priests -(consider Velen here) will shine (certainly more holy than disc) next expansion. It shall be an expansion revolving much around orcs and they're no priests. Again a bad expansion for us ahead ? It will certainly be the peak of shamans (hell the number of shamans amongst orcish ranks) and of course locks. Can't see why that wouldnt.
    I'm not sure how much I agree with this pattern - I thought it applied too at the start of MoP, because there are definitely some parallels between who the Lore team has in mind, and which classes/specs seem to get the most attention. What I think conflicts in MoP is that - the whole expansion is kind of about the Seven Sha (Sha being short for Shadow), and Yshaarj (an old god) - and yet I feel dissappointed with MoP's interpretation of Shadowpriests, both in PvE and PvP.

However, consider that on the story-side of things - Velen is likely to be perhaps The main story NPC - at least for Alliance - and he's a Holy Priest. Further, Anduin Wrynn is likely an adult in WoD (he was ~6 in WotLK, ~12 in Cata, ~18 in Pandaland... ~24 in WoD?) - he may even become King this expansion. Anduin Wrynn is a Shadowpriest who hasn't yet embraced his true form (he casts Mind Vision, Mind Soothe, Mass Mind Control - all Shadow school spells - and the only Holy spell I remember him casting at any point is PW: Shield).

On the horde side of things, Voljin is a Shadow Hunter - which isn't really a thing in the game - so they just give him a dagger and call it a day - but in wow lore, Shadow Hunters are much closer to glaive-wielding Shadowpriests (fourth Priest spec anyone?). So if you are counting up the leadership of the major factions - Velen, Tyrande, Anduin, Moira, and Vol'jin are all Priests

Clearly there is a Priest secret society operating in the midst of Azeroth, helping priests network themselves into positions of power

*wink* *makes a subtle, strange hand gesture*
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2014-02-20 at 03:56 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    hey excellent reply Yvaelle

It is true that this expansion is all about the Shas but we didnt get love though it was all about this ancient Old god. But on the other hand, Pandaria, even though corrupted by these remnants of an Old god, remains a land of peaceful pandarens who enjoy meditating so there was way more love to be given to monks in the first place (though their healing spec is not as good as it was in the beginning of the expansion but the other 2 specs are still great).
    We've had the Shadowy Apparitions all along this expansion, with Blizzard trying to maximise their power just like a symbolisation of the Old Gods, the very same with insanity, that looks amazingly like Old Gods powers to me.
    Maybe they thought we had been given enough love already.

As for Vol'jin i've always thought he was more like a lock-hunter kind of leader. He even uses shadowbolt but i'm certainly wrong ^^. After all, i've always wanted to cast shadowbolt as a shadow, dunno why but i love this spell ^^.
    Anduin a shadow priest really ? Oh crap, don't like this character..... hope they're not gonna do like they did with Benedictus, a seemingly holy priest finally turning out to be the leader of the Twilight's Hammer. He's way too soft for that anyway

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerubisath View Post
    hey excellent reply Yvaelle

It is true that this expansion is all about the Shas but we didnt get love though it was all about this ancient Old god. But on the other hand, Pandaria, even though corrupted by these remnants of an Old god, remains a land of peaceful pandarens who enjoy meditating so there was way more love to be given to monks in the first place (though their healing spec is not as good as it was in the beginning of the expansion but the other 2 specs are still great).
    We've had the Shadowy Apparitions all along this expansion, with Blizzard trying to maximise their power just like a symbolisation of the Old Gods, the very same with insanity, that looks amazingly like Old Gods powers to me.
    Maybe they thought we had been given enough love already.
    I hadn't considered it but yes - the presence of all those meditating monks, and happy-go-lucky panda's - is probably why the story revolves more around the defeat of the powers of Shadow, in the face of the humble, happy, calm Panda's. So in a way, the entire story of this expansion is about Sha's (Shadows) dying, and an old god (Yshaarj) - who is usually our bro - being an idiot and Mind Controlling the dumbest orc in the land (Garrosh).

As for Vol'jin i've always thought he was more like a lock-hunter kind of leader. He even uses shadowbolt but i'm certainly wrong ^^. After all, i've always wanted to cast shadowbolt as a shadow, dunno why but i love this spell ^^.
    Anduin a shadow priest really ? Oh crap, don't like this character..... hope they're not gonna do like they did with Benedictus, a seemingly holy priest finally turning out to be the leader of the Twilight's Hammer. He's way too soft for that anyway
    Shadow hunters are not hunters, and definitely not locks. Go read the wiki I linked Forsaken Spriests draw their power through the Cult of the Forgotten Shadows - and many assume they are the original Shadowpriests, but they are actually not - the Trolls and Night Elf societies predate our current records of time in Azeroth. The troll shadowpriests have nothing to do with the Cult of Forgotten Shadows, they draw their Shadow Power directly from the Loa - the spirits of everything (kind of like Shinto, or Paganism, IRL).

The Shadowhunters of the Trolls are witchdoctors, are shadowpriests, who wield glaives and stealth - but they first and foremost, are spellcasters who draw their power directly from the Loa. The Troll words for how they describe The Void and the Darkness are different from how the humans understand it - but the power of the loa to hex and to heal is an interaction with the same arcane power and duality of existence/non-existence, that the Light/Shadow represent to use the Human/Undead terms. He might have learned stealth, wear leather, and wield a glaive - but the source of his magic - is the exact same as the Troll Shadowpriests (as mentioned in the wiki for Shadowhunters).

By contrast, the powers of Warlocks are more elemental (pyromancy), fel (demonic), or pestilence based (affliction). There is a lot of thematic overlap with Affliction in particular (who used to be the ones who cast Shadow Bolt, back when wow made more lore-sense) - and Fear. These spells make sense however, when you consider that Shadowpriests are very common spellcasters amongst the Eredar (evil Draenei) - with whom Warlocks are likely to have second-order contact with via the demons of the Burning Legion. The Burning Legion employs every school of Black Magic with equal regard - Pyromancers, Demonologists, Afflictions, and Shadowpriests.

So it's not unreasonable to think of a plague lord of the burning legion, who knows much of the darkness - and who can invoke fear or materialize darkness into a bolt: who then might have contact with demons, or directly with a warlock - and offer up their dark knowledge in exchange for the warlocks soul (or simply to release the corrupting and destructive presence of such knowledge, into the unscrupulous hands of Azeroth's warlocks).

It's also important to remember that while we need to create discreet sets of spells and abilities to balance classes, for the purpose of game design - in 'reality' it's entirely reasonable to think of a Shadowpriest trainer teaching a Warlock to invoke Fear. Or a Affliction Lock teaching a Shadowpriest Devouring Plague. Or a Troll Shadowpriest learning to Stealth, and wield a glaive. In a game, we have sets of spells specific to our class - but if a fantasy world were a reality - the spells we each know would likely differ and overlap with other 'classes' much more (within reason).

There is no great lore reason why Shadowpriests can't Backstab - we wield daggers too - we can stand behind other people too, etc. A Troll Shadowhunter is just a Shadowpriest, who learned stealth (trolls and night elves in particular are, by lore - naturally quite stealthy as a race), and also learned to swing a sword.

I'm actually kind of liking the idea of giving Priests a fourth Shadowhunter spec now I've been saying for awhile that in WoD they should seriously consider giving all classes a fourth spec (like druids got in MoP) - and on the forum we've had a really good post about a dedicated Light-based DPS spec (Purifier)
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    There's often a big difference between a class "playing" (feeling) well and said class topping the charts. DPSing as Shadow right now is just boring imo

My favorite time as a SPriest has got to be either ICC or Firelands. Who remembers flying at Alys'razor and having like 80% uptime on shadowfiend because of the tier bonus? The only spec that could out dps us on that fight was a fire mage.

There have been a lot of changes over the years, but one thing that we've always had, and a lot of uneducated raid leaders don't realize, is the extreme amount of utility we provide. Life grip to pull people out of breath of Yor'Shaarj, boost feathers against Thok, VE and Prayer of Mending in high damage phases like Jugg or Galk, emergency bubbles for tanks getting low, levitate when fighting Ordos or Malkorok, Void Shift + Angelic Bulwark + DK tank = Invincible tank, Hymn of Hope for whenever, Renewing the entire raid when Nazgrim is in defensive stance and no adds are out, and that's just this tier. Yeah, my DPS was lower than the mages and the warlocks. Did they do 50k hps also?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerbz View Post
    Couldn't stand the RNG of Shadow Orbs, T13 made it go away. The Shadowspike rotation was garbage, but the set bonuses were still delicious.
    Rather have some chance at good or bad RNG and still doing good single target damage (Shadow in Cata, Fire mage in general), than being shit damage single target and doing a lot worse after the first pull regardless of good RNG (Shadow in MoP). Why can Moonkin go in Eclipse with Astral Communion and we have to suffer from 0 orb on pull? Laziness, and trying to make certain other specs more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Rather have some chance at good or bad RNG and still doing good single target damage (Shadow in Cata, Fire mage in general), than being shit damage single target and doing a lot worse after the first pull regardless of good RNG (Shadow in MoP). Why can Moonkin go in Eclipse with Astral Communion and we have to suffer from 0 orb on pull? Laziness, and trying to make certain other specs more popular.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I'd rather take some RNG with good damage as well, but I do remember having stupid 30+ second dry spells of no orbs on pulls pre-DS which drove me nuts(wasn't terribly common, but still). I just liked being able to throw out Shadowfiend on pull never have to worry about getting screwed with orbs.
    Last edited by Cerbz; 2014-02-28 at 06:19 PM.

Not MOP, HIYO.

amiright and what's the deal with airline food!
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by bigearsmcgee View Post
    My favorite time as a SPriest has got to be either ICC or Firelands. Who remembers flying at Alys'razor and having like 80% uptime on shadowfiend because of the tier bonus? The only spec that could out dps us on that fight was a fire mage.

There have been a lot of changes over the years, but one thing that we've always had, and a lot of uneducated raid leaders don't realize, is the extreme amount of utility we provide. Life grip to pull people out of breath of Yor'Shaarj, boost feathers against Thok, VE and Prayer of Mending in high damage phases like Jugg or Galk, emergency bubbles for tanks getting low, levitate when fighting Ordos or Malkorok, Void Shift + Angelic Bulwark + DK tank = Invincible tank, Hymn of Hope for whenever, Renewing the entire raid when Nazgrim is in defensive stance and no adds are out, and that's just this tier. Yeah, my DPS was lower than the mages and the warlocks. Did they do 50k hps also?
    I know I'm late but I didn't see this until now: "Extreme utility"? lol

Life grip during Breath: You can grip people out of a lot of things, but baby sitting terrible players doing something blatantly wrong who don't wanna pop a defensive standing in Breath is something I don't count as "utility".

Feathers on Thok: Warlocks gates anyone? So you're going to try and place feathers, keep Mass Dispel on CD(which you should be doing) AND chase the boss around to DPS? Just go Disc because your damage will be terrible.

VE and PoM: VE isn't much of a CD, it overheals more than anything else and PoM healing is meh at best. DS is the only useful healing we have and it's usually not worth taking(I personally only use it on Thok).

emergency bubbles for tanks getting low: You clearly don't raid with a Disc Priest. Also, Healthstones are better.

levitate when fighting Ordos or Malkorok: lol

Void Shift + Angelic Bulwark + DK tank = Invincible tank: You can use Void Shift ONCE during that fight and keeping your self that low is dangerous if you're not careful around orbs. How is that even close to "invincible"?

Hymn of Hope: Only really useful when combined with other mana CDs.

Renewing the entire raid when Nazgrim is in defensive stance and no adds are out: What's the point of that? Everyone in the raid using a single Healthstone will do way more healing than your laughable renews will, and healers are usually sitting around doing nothing at this point.

It sounds like you raid 10 man with no other priests. And outside of the occasional grip and Mass Dispel(which you didn't even mention for some reason), we don't bring much of anything a Warlock doesn't with a lot more damage. Even if you don't have a Warlock(but seriously, who doesn't?), Shadow's utility is far far far from "extreme", especially compared to other hybrids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    aye lol, usually when other classes top dps they wait till they next patch but they hot fixed us the same week lmao.

- - - Updated - - -

I have played every class during wotlk/cata, and I Find shadow the most complicated back then, the easiest was arcane mage, blowing up the meeter with 2 buttons lol
    And now he's gone. Ain't it grrrreat? :P

Idk how you can't mention wrath for pvp. SP/Rogue was pretty much gg in 2's and honestly SP anything was gg. I loved the burst. I only had relentless on my alt but had a heroic weapon and damnnn my spriest hit hard.

Vanilla was fun but we weren't completely socially accepted. PvP was good.
    TBC was fun, though subpar damage, the utility (mana/VE/etc...) made us special and unique. People wanted you around. PvP was decent.
    Wrath and Cata we were strong DPS, PvP started becoming more difficult (arena specifically).

I'm a creature of habbit and I like my shadow priest but MoP has been quite terrible for us. Sure, depends hugely on the fight for DPS but we're no longer 'strong'...dps while moving is definately worse than it's every been which tends to be frustrating. The shadow orb mechanic is woeful....it's fine for PvE but really bad for PvP. Hey, I use up orbs to psychic horror but wait, now I can't burst or hey, I'll burst, but oh wait, I don't have my CC. I truly hate that 'choice' in PvP when I'm surrounded by a million and one CC's and interrupts and completely train on top of having to use 200k mana to flash heal myself to full behind a pillar.

A lot of little things made spriests fun in the past but now, sure, Halo is fun, but VE is meh even as a raid cooldown and managing shadow orbs is simply not that engaging of a mechanic. Ok, I get a 3 point DP, now I have to flay flay flay...aww crap, I have to move, aww crap, there goes my dps, gone. Rinse and repeat. Just an irritant that you just end up feeling shouldn't be there.

Deleted
    End of Wrath of the Lich king at ICC / Season 8 times. Absolutely loved playing shadow then, both PvE and PvP. Must admit we were kind of overpowered at least in pvp, even more so with heroic PvE gear like HC DFO or HC Phylactery. that's when I got 2500 as rogue/spriest and 2600 as mage/spriest in 2s. Both comps were really damn fun to play.

Burst was incredible, and survivability was very good due to offheals actually doing meaningful amounts of healing.