Deleted

Overclocking my i5-4670k

Hey guys, im looking to overclock my i5-4670k soon and im looking for some advice.

Ive never done anything like this before so im a complete beginner and any in depth guides you could provide would be amazing.

A few questions:

What kind of clock speed should i be aiming for? I would like to make a significant increase if i could. Ive read that up to around 4.5-4.6hz can be achieved stable. Im using a CM hyper 212 evo CPU cooler and currently my CPU rarely goes past 40c.

What kind of performance upgrade does an OC result in? For wow example, im currently seeing 100 FPS outside of raids and 40 FPS in 25mans. Is there likely to be an improvement after OC?

Is doing an OC dangerous for your PC? Is there high risk of damaging a part?

Thanks guys!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's all about volts, people run 4.6GHz at 1.65v, don't expect the chip to last for more than a few years at that rate.
    The OC will give you a nice bump in FPS especially in raids, as to how much I have no idea.
    OC is dangerous if you don't test properly or use too high voltage settings and fry the chip with mobo.

Should have listed your mobo as you can find fast guides for those specific combos.

To start off:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1414993/a...og-to-i5-4670k
    PM me weird stuff :3

15+ Year Old Account
    And what do you need it for? I have same CPU and I don't have any issues with fps on all games I play. I see no reason why to OC it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sellest View Post
    And what do you need it for? I have same CPU and I don't have any issues with fps on all games I play. I see no reason why to OC it.
    Please read the whole post, he gives the info what he needs it for. Also "don't have issues" is very one sided, people don't have issues playing on lowest with 10FPS while other can't stand getting less than 60FPS on Ultra.

Deleted
    Yeah i also read you dont want to have your voltage any higher than 1.3 right? Oh i didnt realise you got such specific guides, awesome haha my mobo is a: MSI z87-G45

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sellest View Post
    Its not so much that im having issues, its just i bought this PC set up so that i could OC and get better performance. I thought about waiting till i felt my PC needed the boost... but why wait?

A second reason, probably more important, is that i have a 144hz monitor on its way and to get the most out of that i could do with higher frames. I currently get 100+ on most games, wow being the main exception. But more the better i say!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raedeon View Post
    Yeah i also read you dont want to have your voltage any higher than 1.3 right? Oh i didnt realise you got such specific guides, awesome haha my mobo is a: MSI z87-G45
    I don't but internet does
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4yucCk_Zrc

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    Aaah awesome thanks alot, i did not realise it would be that easy to find a guide so specific! Seems easy enough too :O

10+ Year Old Account
    Aaah awesome thanks alot, i did not realise it would be that easy to find a guide so specific! Seems easy enough too :O
    To answer previous question, 1.3 should be the total max to be 'safe' on the chip wear. My 4771 which can't be OC'ed runs 1.21v max that I saw, that is in turbo mode @3.9GHz, so you should be fine around 4GHz with 1.3 at the very least. Unless you got the shortest shit of a stick for chip lottery

Let us know the results

Oh and get CPU-Z, first thing you do is try to run that and if PC crashes you adjust your values.
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
    Then get Cinebench and run CPU stress test, see if the temps are ok.
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...INEBENCH.shtml

To be honest 4.0 at 1.3v is already a horrid chip and I don't think chips that bad are even existing. A better average would be 1.25 to 1.3 for 4.5.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    In the guide Cyrops posted he does a 4.4ghz OC at 1.14v which seems pretty respectable ?

In the guide Cyrops posted he does a 4.4ghz OC at 1.14v which seems pretty respectable ?
    That's actually a wonderful chip, and probably one of the better samples out there.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760