Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacebubble View Post
    Now take a guess at how many times he died trying to do that in the past month :-)
    Twice. 10char

Quote Originally Posted by Spacebubble View Post
    As a Paladin I remember going 15+ 2 tanking a few months back in 10man without any externals - how far you can go as a Pally I don't know though. Sbarrier is amazing.
    I did go up to 12, but that was with the +dmg dot/debuff, so it was sort of spooky.

Did 12 on my warrior last week - that was after both the healer and the other tank died.

Would still like to see if it's possible, because bringing in a third tank is always kind of sketchy /: (Like we've made our holy pally change to prot and he has like 30% less HP generation and 50% less ShoR uptime than I do)

I took 10 on 10H a week or two ago without feeling in the least endangered (the other tank was a bit derpy that night and kept forgetting to taunt).

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm torn here because it's so much more comfortable to tank Haromm as a warrior... One of the few fights I'm jealous of them (or annoyed not to be able to bring my alt one to tank it on HC).
    Elsewhere I'm pretty satisfied how pallys can perform well this tier (although a bit less than in ToT) on almost everything.
    Moussaka - Paladin Protection
    Ragedoll -Warrior Protection
    Quote Originally Posted by Velkhan View Post
    Those warriors... blizzard should rename "shout" spells to "cry" they are so good at that.

Deleted
    The biggest issue is the increased damage they do at the end where you'll have somewhere between 25-35 stacks depending on your raid comps dps. (at least in 25)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    What defines a good prot pally? i am a 555ilvl prot paladin and i really would like to know what makes a prot paladin stand out from other prot paladins, is it the fact that i am the one that takes the least dmg of the tanks in my guild? is it because i can do bosses like Sha and Nazgrim with barely any healing but my EF. I would like to know how to see the difference between a good and a less skilled paladin (Gameplay wise) so that i can work on paladin with a more clear goal

THX in advance
    I was once a very very good prot paladin in a very very good guild and my answer remains the same for all tanks even if I stopped playing : NEVER DIE AND STAY FOCUSED !

As the tank you are the stone that supports your raid, if you die your raid crumbles. A tank who never ever dies is unvaluable to a progression guild, trust me, you can do longer tries faster.

I have seen many tanks able to pull high dps and high healing but nearly none able to do the same and remain alive and stay focused during days and days of progress and avoid tons of aoe everywhere during dozen of hours of tries.

The Prot Paladin in my raid group soloed the last 40% of Galakras HC on our first kill, that is what I'd say is a defining factor for a good prot paladin.
    Being able to manage CDs and self heals to such an extent that you can outlive the boss even without the aid if others, being able to stand on your own two feet for a moment when the healers are busy with saving the dps

Quote Originally Posted by Marquize View Post
    The Prot Paladin in my raid group soloed the last 40% of Galakras HC on our first kill, that is what I'd say is a defining factor for a good prot paladin.
    Being able to manage CDs and self heals to such an extent that you can outlive the boss even without the aid if others, being able to stand on your own two feet for a moment when the healers are busy with saving the dps
    I've done that a few times due to melee derping up with the balls, it's amazing fun and you get a good little kick out of it after it's done. Other bosses where this happens occasionally are Sha of Pride (you're fine until prison or 100 pride swelling pride), malkorok as long as you have a major cd for the triple puddle explosions and of course Thok. Thok's fire phase isn't a threat to a tank at all so you can do the last 5-10% solo. I guess these are just bosses that have a tendency of quickly wiping out your entire raid in the last minute of the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Marquize View Post
    Galakras is pretty easy if you have malkorok trinket +2p. Literally don't even need to use any cd other than DP to stay alive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lackluster View Post
    I've done that a few times due to melee derping up with the balls, it's amazing fun and you get a good little kick out of it after it's done. Other bosses where this happens occasionally are Sha of Pride (you're fine until prison or 100 pride swelling pride), malkorok as long as you have a major cd for the triple puddle explosions and of course Thok. Thok's fire phase isn't a threat to a tank at all so you can do the last 5-10% solo. I guess these are just bosses that have a tendency of quickly wiping out your entire raid in the last minute of the fight.
    Iron Juggernaut (if raid is dead you dont need to soak mines), Siegecrafter and Garrosh H is also good examples where a tank can solo a significant amount of heath and kill the boss in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    How do belt ?
    Once the weapons on the belt are through you're toast - but you get plenty of time before they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post
    Bad Pallies DPS blows. Their self healing sucks.
    Pretty much this, taking the least amount on damage is all fine and dandy however especially in 10 mans a good pally can pull the extra dps that leads to kill. If you take a bit more damage to do so then so be it as long as you are capable of mitigating it through the use of personal and external CD chaining and knowing when to call for what.

Personally I know where I stand and I consider to myself to be a good tank. I feel I'm somewhere between good and amazing not a prodigy or anything spectacular but I can capably solo tank most fights (that are solo tankable) , and pull large enough numbers to be in the top 3-5 dps most pulls while not being gibbed, or even taking noticeably larger amounts of damage on fights that I'm not soloing.
    Last edited by Bopit759; 2014-02-18 at 08:16 PM. Reason: grammar is hard.

Being good at knowing when to use CDs to mitigate incoming damage, and self heals etc. Raid awareness and doing what you can to help support the raid is all part of being a tank in General.

I would say examples of being a good prot pally;

Same as any class, Knowing your Glyphs and abilities and using them when suitable, E.g. Holy Wrath glyph for HC Garrosh to help Stun adds and Transition Phases
    Using Different Talents depending on the fight, E.g. HC Shamans i use Purity to use on our healer.
    Using hand spells in different circumstances, e.g. HoS can be used loads, With or without the glyph. I use this ALOT on HC Garrosh
    Freedoms and Salvs can be used, or have been used in the past.

its also knowing little tricks like, Bubble or HoP'ing yours or the other tanks cloak debuff off incase it procs again. Obviously co-ordinate it with the other tank for the best time. (This has been fixed as of this reset :P )

Later on the in tier and close to farm, I always like trying to solo tank fights i wouldn't normally solo tank in progress, like Immerseus.

Deleted
    i am the best
    /pumpsfist

Deleted
    Survive +20 stacks of Gripping Despair on garrosh without externals on normal or higher difficulty while in a pug group without stam trinkets/tank cloak

And there I thought Gripping Despair only stacks to 12